Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No LTE Connectivity - eSim failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drew57

Active ember
Apr 4, 2020
Cheshire UK
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "eSim failure"

After my car not waking via the app, I have just taken it out for a short drive & as soon as it disconnected from my house wifi a small red warning triangle appeared top left of the screen & the message "eCall emergency call system requires service, Contact Tesla Service" in the centre message area, screen RH side.

The LTE signal bar imaging is greyed out and has a diagonal line through it - clearly the car is no longer connected. I guess it is either the eSim, something in the relevant wing mirror or wiring between?

I called Service but the person on the line said he wasn't able to do anything except book a Service appt (Weds 16th 9.15am Stockport)

The car seems to drive OK but without connectivity, voice, Spotify etc.

Sods Law - I have the most important drive since getting the vehicle tomorrow & nothing else I can use - collecting family arriving at Heathrow & then quarantining in our house in Cheshire for 14 days. They do not want to use public transport, nor do current traveller restrictions allow.

Does anyone know if this could affect driving of the car itself? I really hope not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sods Law - I have the most important drive since getting the vehicle tomorrow & nothing else I can use - collecting family arriving at Heathrow & then quarantining in our house in Cheshire for 14 days. They do not want to use public transport, nor do current traveller restrictions allow.

Does anyone know if this could affect driving of the car itself? I really hope not.

Sods law indeed ... you could try the phone wifi hotspot thing meantime perhaps? Can't think it will affect driving.

Leave the car alone for a while. If its like other transient eCall failures, a good sleep will hopefully sort the hangover.

When it hit us, we seemed to lose all/most (I never witnessed the issue directly) sensors, gps and car visualisations (presumably due to the loss of sensors)

@Adopado Yes, I was planning to do that & have already shared Apple maps locations to the car for various superchargers en route, the airport & a local supermarket to get some food. I'm hoping that this will ensure the car nav map has the local areas because I once lost connectivity in Snowdonia and for part of the journey the map screen froze up.

- I'm most concerned about any impact on usability of the car itself

Leave the car alone for a while. If its like other transient eCall failures, a good sleep will hopefully sort the hangover.

When it hit us, we seemed to lose all/most (I never witnessed the issue directly) sensors, gps and car visualisations (presumably due to the loss of sensors)
The app hasn't been able to wake the car since Saturday & we didn't use the car yesterday so it's had plenty of time to sleep. Now it permanently shows the warning and greyed out LTE.

The only thing (other than all driver assistance) which might be a problem is supercharging. I don't know if that relies on any connectivity, or if it is all done over the CCS interface. Maybe worth a test if that is practical.

I have exactly the same issue (notnfornthe first time), tried all the soft/hard reboots I can...really want to avoid a service call as the only appt they have is 23rd December and well over an hour away...frustrating!

Update - Tesla techs in NL have called me, first one to talk through a full power off & wait 5 mins in the car (no change), second one from the connectivity team who asked for the car to be awake & on wifi for 10 mins so she could download all the logs.

Both advised that the car will be safe to drive & tethering to phone data in Drive should enable full navigation. I didn't think to ask about Supercharging & will be using a couple from either Keele/Hilton Park or Oxford/Heathrow during the journeys tomorrow & Wednesday (stop at a Heathrow hotel tomorrow night).

If it's a problem with the embedded e-Sim, wiring to the mirrors or the antenna rather than something they can do remotely it may require a longer fix at the SC.

I called Tesla service for an update after the first supercharger leg of my journey and discovered that the NL team had unilaterally decided that my car was fine but it most certainly isn't...

Zero LTE connectivity, sat nav map pixellated & basically unusable, no music, no voice control, no app connection & several warning symbols/messages permanently on screen. The only way to retrieve connection is to use a wifi hotspot from my phone but needs reconnection every time drive is selected.

For some reason the NL tech who downloaded my cars logs had closed the case (e-Call emergency message was the only issue they had recorded, ignoring everything else & even that hasn't changed), cancelled my service appointment with the earliest replacement available on 9th January meaning I would have to use my phone data plan for a month in spite of a car with premium connectivity & no extension of my plan for the lost month. Two long journeys have already used nearly 1gB of my 8gB plan & that's just map/music/voice.

Over 2 days I made several calls to Tesla Service & then heard back from Stockport who told me that the info they had said I still had basic connectivity, finally realising the car has lost everything (as I had originally reported in the Tesla deleted app appointment, including screenshots). They promised to sort this out as soon as possible and having retrieved the cars logs said that parts relating to the motherboard were in stock plus a full flash of the cars memory would be required.

I now have an 8am appointment at Stockport on Monday but they aren't sure if anything will be resolved. Apparently 3-4 hours is scheduled & I could have a loaner but considering 50 mins each way home in a chill mode Panda nose it's hardly worth it so I'll sit it out in the SC (loaner already committed elsewhere for the rest of the week & I've declined Uber credits).

As always, Stockport have been very accommodating but as for the rest of this experience, not at all impressive (& I'm not too confident that Monday will be the end of this.....?)

I called Tesla service for an update after the first supercharger leg of my journey and discovered that the NL team had unilaterally decided that my car was fine but it most certainly isn't...

Zero LTE connectivity, sat nav map pixellated & basically unusable, no music, no voice control, no app connection & several warning symbols/messages permanently on screen. The only way to retrieve connection is to use a wifi hotspot from my phone but needs reconnection every time drive is selected.

For some reason the NL tech who downloaded my cars logs had closed the case (e-Call emergency message was the only issue they had recorded, ignoring everything else & even that hasn't changed), cancelled my service appointment with the earliest replacement available on 9th January meaning I would have to use my phone data plan for a month in spite of a car with premium connectivity & no extension of my plan for the lost month. Two long journeys have already used nearly 1gB of my 8gB plan & that's just map/music/voice.

Over 2 days I made several calls to Tesla Service & then heard back from Stockport who told me that the info they had said I still had basic connectivity, finally realising the car has lost everything (as I had originally reported in the Tesla deleted app appointment, including screenshots). They promised to sort this out as soon as possible and having retrieved the cars logs said that parts relating to the motherboard were in stock plus a full flash of the cars memory would be required.

I now have an 8am appointment at Stockport on Monday but they aren't sure if anything will be resolved. Apparently 3-4 hours is scheduled & I could have a loaner but considering 50 mins each way home in a chill mode Panda nose it's hardly worth it so I'll sit it out in the SC (loaner already committed elsewhere for the rest of the week & I've declined Uber credits).

As always, Stockport have been very accommodating but as for the rest of this experience, not at all impressive (& I'm not too confident that Monday will be the end of this.....?)

Simliar issue with my golf R recently...the touch screen does not like the cold (I learned the hard way this is a common fault)... the only way to turn the heated windscreen is through the touch screen. Thankfully, i have keyless with means I can go start the car, turn the heater on full blast, leave it running so it defrosts, lock it with the fob (I dont know what the mrs done with the ice scrapper and she already mad off in the tesla:mad:)

:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Moderator comment - thread merged from "No cellular/LTE connection"

Hello all. Picked my M3P yesterday all was working ok. Brought it own and did the suggested update over my home wifi. However when I drove off there was no LTE connection just the 5 bars with a line through it. Done the suggested reboots and still nothing. I also have an error message on screen saying no eSOS available. Has anyone got any ideas? Tried calling Tesla and they’re closed till Monday. If I log it as a fault the earliest they can see the car in the SC Is the 31st December.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your LTE connect after you drive away? I sometimes see 'No Connection' for a few seconds after it disconnects from WiFi, and I have seen the eSOS message appear until it connects to LTE - but that is literally seconds...

However I did have the eSOS message on my M3P on collection, and they kept the car a couple of days to correct it :(.