TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Espen Pedersen on European sales

Discussion in 'Video' started by TEG, Jan 2, 2010.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Very interesting video. One thing that stood out was the statement about the upcoming battery tech.

Is Tesla working on a new pack for it's line of vehicles?

The Sales Rep was very confident that the Roadster will be receiving an updated battery sometime in the near future. He mentioned that current battery is 400(?) and the new will be going to 800. How soon is this new battery technology is too come online?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The way he said it sounded like he was alluding to a hypothetical general trend, not necessarily committing to something specific. I think it is safe to say that future versions of the Roadster could have a longer range pack. Perhaps not doubling any time soon, but at least improving over time. I would actually hope for lighter & cheaper more than more range, actually.

4. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I would actually interpret what Espen said as the Roadster will always be expensive. If the battery or other parts becomes cheaper they will add more high tech features to it to maintain the Roadster as their best car. That way it will remain exclusive and be a test-bed of sorts. So rather than a smaller and cheaper battery pack they will extend the range. That's the way I read what he said anyway.

Cobos

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, I said hope (for cost reductions), but I expect you are right that it will remain mostly a "cost is no object" top line product.

6. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I'm hoping for the same as you, but I figure they can always change their mind later as well if they do see an opening for a "cheap" Roadster. Though mostly I'm hoping for some more Model S information :)

Cobos