Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Essential apps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tesla app.

Anything else, I personally would suggest you wait to see if you actually want or need the stuff they provide. My personal opinion is, that people who are "data nerds" and who can handle all the additional data that these apps provide (and not get stressed out wondering / worrying about "app X says my car is in the 82nd percentile in degradation, I got a lemon!") already know who they are, and have researched these apps already,

Note that I am not saying there is anything "wrong" with using these apps (other than ensuring that you have them setup properly so they let your car sleep), just that its my opinion (because I have seen the results here on TMC ad nauseum), that many times, new owners get the car, immediately setup one or more third party apps, then wonder why their car isnt sleeping, or start trying to interpret data from some app that is already interpreting data itself based on the app creators (not teslas) algorithms etc, and gets all wound up.

The official Tesla app gives you most controls and status that you need. You can monitor sentry mode cameras using it. I do not use any other phone app for basic use.

If you want historical data and analysis, you might consider a service like teslafi. If you are more of a DIY linux user, you can save money by installing teslamate on your computer to do the same sort of analysis.

If you are a DIY home automation person, then homeassistant will link to teslamate and give you mechanisms to do even more, like automate garage door opening without needing Tesla's expensive remote, automate turning on climate control before you get in the car, etc.

Enjoy your new toy!

Reactions: BitJam
This is quickly becoming a list of all apps :)

The only essential is the Tesla app.

Highly useful is PlugShare or other such tool to find ALL charging options independent of providers. Might save you when you're stuck in an unknown area, travelling etc.

Very useful is ABetterRoutePlanner, to plan trips in advance, see how it will go, reduce anxiety. Learn how various conditions affect consumption.

Useful depending on your geekiness level are TeslaFi, TeslaMate and all other data gatherers and reporters. For the data-driven person that will NOT panic at first sight. See @jjrandorin 's comment.

Then there are non Tesla-specific things like Waze that you might benefit from, or not...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221126_222135.jpg
    Screenshot_20221126_222135.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
Reactions: Dannietjoh
My must haves:

* Tesla app (mostly for service interface)
* A Better Route Planner (ABRB)
* TeslAA (Android Auto - nice interface) using Waze. I'm surprised this isn't more popular)

Nice to have:

* Tessie (used to have TeslaFi - a better Tesla app over the Tesla app, lots of automation and stats, phone friendly)
* Winds & Elevation

So I am picking up my car today (yay!). I already have the Tesla app of course. However I noticed in the App Store there are a lot of other apps that reference Tesla for the camera, stats, chargers, or other info. Are any of these any good? What are the best apps to have for my new model 3, in your experience?

Thanks!
Tessie is my #1 favorite app after the TESLA mobile app. Why? Because it allows me to set up automations for my TESLA. My TESLA warms up every weekday by 7:30am automatically AND also every weekday by 4:50pm when I leave work. It warms up every Sunday by 10:15am when we leave for church. I also have it set to OPEN my charge port every time I arrive home, and I’ve set my charging hours to off-peak hours. I know the TESLA app can do some of that, but I like running everything through Tessie.

I also use the following apps…
- TezLab
- Tronity
- Wall Monitor
- Recurrent (mobile-optimized website, not an app)

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezzie and Andy B