Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Essex Power Cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, newbie here, just ordered a Model Y for delivery next year sometime.

There was a major power cut in South Essex on Saturday, photos of people milling about in the car parks at Lakeside after alarms were set off. Apparently major failure that also affected mobile transmitters so there was no mobile service which added to the general confusion.

There are reports that people were locked out of their EVs, I am assuming that this was Tesla drivers unable to use the app for entry and presumably not having the card key with them. I assume that with the card the car would have allowed entry and been capable of driving home, even without some features, is that so?

Reactions: Llama.
A power cut will only stop you charging your car. Getting in and driving off - no problem.
some people tried signing out of the Tesla app and couldn’t sign back in. If they did that and didn’t have their key card handy, they were locked out.
phone works fine as a key but always carry a key card!

OK, thanks all. I was ambushed by friends with these stories that had no doubt grown every time they were related.
Did they remind you that your EV will very likely burst into flames at the drop of a hat too ;) Yes, I'm afraid as a future EV owner you are going to have to sift through the nonsense to get to the truth sometimes! This very forum can sometimes play a part in sharing the real "lived experience" of EV ownership ... so welcome to the club! (We'll even admit the actual downsides too.)