Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EST. Delivery was February now in December

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y on order and was originally estimated to arrive February or March 2023. I don't check the Tesla app often because my original date was so far away and I filled out everything I needed to at this time. However, I checked this morning and it said my vehicle is arriving this December. (Note: I don't have a VIN # yet.) I'm both excited and disappointed that the date changed so dramatically. I personally wanted to vehicle to arrive February or March so I'd have a chance at the new tax credit and it would give me time to save up a bigger downpayment. My questions to others who have an order on a Tesla is...
* Are you planning on taking the car if it says it's moved to Dec. If so what are you thoughts?
* How confident should I be in this arrival date change. My guess is that they want as many people to accept orders in December for fourth quarter numbers. So, not much hope in getting the tax credit.
* I asked my representative I am in contact with to see if they could put my vehicle on hold and they said no. So, I'm not sure what to do?

You have two options basically. Either take delivery and give up the tax credit or cancel the order lose the $250 but gain the tax credit. You may want to check with your accountant to see how much benefit you will receive from the tax credit before making a decision.

Assuming you see the full 7500 the net would be $7,250.00 by cancelling the order now and placing a new order on on 1/1/23. Your bound to be frustrated trying to time the order to arrive in 2023. Tesla will likely do everything it can to deliver as many of these vehicles in 2022 to minimize any damage to 4th quarter numbers.

Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0
When was your order date?
If there haven’t been any price increases since ordering (I think the last one was in June if not buying FSD) then you could consider a new order in January. Assuming Tesla doesn’t raise prices again. But also depends how much of a raise and depends on how much of the credit MY qualifies for.
I’d just wait it out till you get a VIN and then decide as more info will be available by then.
Good chance your EDD maybe delayed into 2023 anyways. TheseEDDs are very unstable and Tesla is just currently fulfilling Feb and Mar orders till end of October into November.

Reactions: ord3r
Upvote 0
Newbie here. I'm in the same boat as the OP. Really want to have a chance at that tax credit. Have to carefully check all the options when the time comes...

Same here... I feel like there will be TONS of order holders trying to place a hold on delivery in December. If there's no price increase, and they won't let us hold until January, I'm guessing a lot of us will cancel our orders, lose the $250 deposit, and re-order mid-to-late December. It's going to be a circus...

Reactions: phishphan
Upvote 0
Same here... I feel like there will be TONS of order holders trying to place a hold on delivery in December. If there's no price increase, and they won't let us hold until January, I'm guessing a lot of us will cancel our orders, lose the $250 deposit, and re-order mid-to-late December. It's going to be a circus...
Mid to late December is risky. Tesla could fulfill your order if someone cancels and it matches your order. Safest time to order again is 1/1/2023.

Upvote 0
When was your order date?
If there haven’t been any price increases since ordering (I think the last one was in June if not buying FSD) then you could consider a new order in January. Assuming Tesla doesn’t raise prices again. But also depends how much of a raise and depends on how much of the credit MY qualifies for.
I’d just wait it out till you get a VIN and then decide as more info will be available by then.
Good chance your EDD maybe delayed into 2023 anyways. TheseEDDs are very unstable and Tesla is just currently fulfilling Feb and Mar orders till end of October into November.
I ordered my car when the prices were at 62k. Now it's 65k for a LR. So, I'm not sure if it's worth it because the credit is depending on taxes which I still need to talk to in accountant about.

Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0
Mid to late December is risky. Tesla could fulfill your order if someone cancels and it matches your order. Safest time to order again is 1/1/2023.

You could order it late December and be fine. You have 3 days to pick it up and they have to give you a reasonable amount of time to get financing.

Timing it for a tax credit is tricky. I'd wait until it was certain. Then again, i bought mine without a tax credit and watched them raise the price a few times

Upvote 0
Same here. No price raise since order.
Currently have 2022 MYP.

Ordered MYLR and wanted new Crimson (Where is that one?)
Orig delivery sched was in March -April 2023.
Last week said Nov 19 to Dec 14.
Now says Dec 2022. Crazy.

Any advantage to canceling it now? Not really? Lose $250 either way.

When is the latest I can cancel it without consequences, as in blacklisted?
Black listed for canceling after a VIN is assigned?

I would imagine the delivery dates will move up as more people cancel.

Can I cancel early Dec and reorder 1 Jan?
If I do, I suspect they will begin to match canceled cars with the new orders.
Will we ever see Crimson before the CYBRTRK?😄 4680 what?

Loss of $250 vs gain of $7500 is a no-brainer, even if the credit arrives at the end of the tax year.

With the advent of the tax credit, resale prices are going to drop like a rock, so forget taking it and selling it.

I might just be best off eating the $250 and keeping my MYP with 6k miles until the dust settles. And wait for what I want, the 4680 Crimson LR.

Any thoughts?

Wow!
3 Ring Circus, maybe more.

Attachments

• 26609.jpeg
    26609.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 26611.jpeg
    26611.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 26613.jpeg
    26613.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: akidesir and ord3r
Upvote 0
Don't forget to factor in any price increase since your original order.
An excellent point! As someone else said there is no guarantee Tesla will get the full $7,500 until the IRS releases guidance on which vehicles qualify and for how much. The new tax credit bill is complicated.

If it were me, I would talk to a financial professional and wait until Tesla tells me its time to take delivery. Then if I want to wait for the tax credit I would try to delay as much as possible. Only when I can't delay any further would I cancel the order.

Trying to time these things can be very frustrating but if there was a price increase and your willing push back and delay then it might result in a few thousand in savings.

Expect Tesla to push back hard against attempts to delay delivery as this will likely put a hurting on their Q4 numbers. If I were Tesla I would try to implement some protections against folks cancelling and then reordering on Jan 1 but I am not sure how that would work. If they put a hold on your account what's to stop someone from just using an alternate email to place a new order?

Upvote 0
An excellent point! As someone else said there is no guarantee Tesla will get the full $7,500 until the IRS releases guidance on which vehicles qualify and for how much. The new tax credit bill is complicated.

If it were me, I would talk to a financial professional and wait until Tesla tells me its time to take delivery. Then if I want to wait for the tax credit I would try to delay as much as possible. Only when I can't delay any further would I cancel the order.

Trying to time these things can be very frustrating but if there was a price increase and your willing push back and delay then it might result in a few thousand in savings.

Expect Tesla to push back hard against attempts to delay delivery as this will likely put a hurting on their Q4 numbers. If I were Tesla I would try to implement some protections against folks cancelling and then reordering on Jan 1 but I am not sure how that would work. If they put a hold on your account what's to stop someone from just using an alternate email to place a new order?
They can just raise the price in January. If they telegraph that (not normally their MO), then ppl would be less likely to cancel their order.

The same thing happened last year. people kept holding out looking to time it right and it didnt play out.

Upvote 0
Tesla has a difficult future ahead. It looks like he will need to purchase Twitter at an inflated price and sell a pile of stock to finance it. That will depress tesla stock price and put pressure on raising revenue. Price increases are unlikely since it is obvious the backlogs are diminishing showing less demand. Anyone financing a car is facing high interest rate cost and possible have loan approval failures as a result. With the economy downshifting and demand falling off it would be surprising that any cost raise would be sustainable. They will have trouble keeping delivery targets as the recession takes hold next year, so price cuts are more likely. The cost increases were a direct result of over demand, and possibly build input costs.
For the tax rebate- the reading of the text says US made cars are worth $3,750 and US made batteries are the other $3,750. Tesla doesn't currently comply with the battery requirement. So it is hard to say if cancelling and waiting until next year is a good move or not.
Tomorrow they report earnings and that will be interesting to see what effect it will have on Tesla policies. Maybe they will start paying more attention to their customers.
By the way, I'm taking delivery on a Model Y next week. I need to replace a car and it doesn't make sense for me to wait or try to extend. I have an early March order date so my cost is about $61K (plus all those taxes and fees!).

Upvote 0
Does the battery requirement go into affect in 2023 or 24? My understanding is that Tesla should qualify for the full 7,500 in 23 and if they don't meet the sourcing reqs by 24 it will drop.

For those banking on the credit I would wait for official word from the IRS on which vehicles qualify and for how much.

I agree a combo of supply costs and demand allowed them to raise prices to maintain profit margins. I expect demand will fall significantly but not because people don't want to buy Tesla. Tighter lending standards and higher rates will put them out of reach or comfort zone for many buyers.

As far as the stock price it's down bc of the split. Elon selling shares creates a buying opportunity the way I see it.

Tesla ownership will increase I feel because there is a flood of used available now. Within 50 miles of me here in MD there are over 700 M3 and over 300 MY. As they continue to sit prices should see significant downward pressure. We are entering the historically slow time of the year for car sales. I suspect many of these overpriced vehicles will wind up at the auction and will be repurchased at much much lower prices and sold for much lower prices at retail. Give it a few months folks. You may be able to get a smokin deal on that used M3 or MY!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sounds like they don't have the details worked out on what will qualify, so it is impossible to say how the IRS will interpret it until they start processing 2023 returns. Like most legislation these days, it was written sloppily and leaves the details to others. There is a provision regarding used e-vehicles that sell for under $25K getting a max rebate of $4K which may help those re-sales you mentioned. The other thing is income caps- $150K for a single filer/$300K for couples, and lower caps on used cars. I'd like to see someone making under $150K qualify for a loan on a $70K Tesla Y. So it looks like they will not be paying out much on this great piece of work by our congress and president. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Upvote 0
That instant rebate part starts in 2024, and I assume you would need to prove your income level to qualify. In 2023 you would take it when you file. Unless the dealers just give it to you and the IRS takes it back if you don't qualify (+ penalty & interest!) since it would need to still be declared on your tax return. For 2023 you also need to work it out so you actually owe the taxes at the time of your filing, if you can't deduct the amount from what is owed you lose it. They won't be sending you a check if you pre-paid all your tax owed for the year. They really want you to work for it!

Upvote 0