Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EST. Delivery was February now in December

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model Y on order and was originally estimated to arrive February or March 2023. I don't check the Tesla app often because my original date was so far away and I filled out everything I needed to at this time. However, I checked this morning and it said my vehicle is arriving this December. (Note: I don't have a VIN # yet.) I'm both excited and disappointed that the date changed so dramatically. I personally wanted to vehicle to arrive February or March so I'd have a chance at the new tax credit and it would give me time to save up a bigger downpayment. My questions to others who have an order on a Tesla is...
* Are you planning on taking the car if it says it's moved to Dec. If so what are you thoughts?
* How confident should I be in this arrival date change. My guess is that they want as many people to accept orders in December for fourth quarter numbers. So, not much hope in getting the tax credit.
* I asked my representative I am in contact with to see if they could put my vehicle on hold and they said no. So, I'm not sure what to do?

For the tax rebate- the reading of the text says US made cars are worth $3,750 and US made batteries are the other $3,750. Tesla doesn't currently comply with the battery requirement. So it is hard to say if cancelling and waiting until next year is a good move or not.
Tomorrow they report earnings and that will be interesting to see what effect it will have on Tesla policies. Maybe they will start paying more attention to their customers.
By the way, I'm taking delivery on a Model Y next week. I need to replace a car and it doesn't make sense for me to wait or try to extend. I have an early March order date so my cost is about $61K (plus all those taxes and fees!).

No such thing as US made cars eligible for $3750. It’s 100% battery based.

My random misinformation like the tax credit being refundable (I thought this too a month or two ago) also persist. Thanks Bearded Tesla Guy.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
Sorry, everywhere Ive read said otherwise, where do you see that its purely battery based?
There is an overlying requirement that the car must be assembled in N America. But to qualify for the two halves of the $7500 credit they are both based on battery assembly and parts. You can build your car in the US and still not qualify at all. But if you don’t assemble in N. America then you 100% don’t qualify even if you meet all the battery requirements.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Upvote 0
There is an overlying requirement that the car must be assembled in N America. But to qualify for the two halves of the $7500 credit they are both based on battery assembly and parts. You can build your car in the US and still not qualify at all. But if you don’t assemble in N. America then you 100% don’t qualify even if you meet all the battery requirements.
Ah got it, so one side of the prong is where the materials were sourced and the other is where the battery was manufactured (after the materials sourced?)

Upvote 0
I have a model Y on order and was originally estimated to arrive February or March 2023. I don't check the Tesla app often because my original date was so far away and I filled out everything I needed to at this time. However, I checked this morning and it said my vehicle is arriving this December. (Note: I don't have a VIN # yet.) I'm both excited and disappointed that the date changed so dramatically. I personally wanted to vehicle to arrive February or March so I'd have a chance at the new tax credit and it would give me time to save up a bigger downpayment. My questions to others who have an order on a Tesla is...
* Are you planning on taking the car if it says it's moved to Dec. If so what are you thoughts?
* How confident should I be in this arrival date change. My guess is that they want as many people to accept orders in December for fourth quarter numbers. So, not much hope in getting the tax credit.
* I asked my representative I am in contact with to see if they could put my vehicle on hold and they said no. So, I'm not sure what to do?
Same here. Canceling.
Will reorder next year to get the credit.
Not throwing it away.

Reactions: ord3r
Upvote 0
Reactions: voxel
Upvote 0
The tax credit cancelations are going to give Tesla a BAD fourth quarter.
I can imagine massive cancelations.
Add Twitter and watch the stock plummet as a matter of perception when the actual share value should be about $550.

And I thought Texas paint shop was state of the art. What is taking so long on the new colors? Sick of seeing two colors Red and Blue.
The others aren't colors.

Upvote 0
Can anyone here tell me if they have had to pay the transportation fee ($1200) when canceling their order?

I was under the impression that only the $250 deposit was forfeited.

From the contract.
You acknowledge that the Order Fee, Order Deposit, and Transportation Fee are a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages we have incurred or may incur in transporting, remarketing, and reselling the Vehicle, costs which are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date.

Upvote 0
Can anyone here tell me if they have had to pay the transportation fee ($1200) when canceling their order?

I was under the impression that only the $250 deposit was forfeited.

From the contract.
You acknowledge that the Order Fee, Order Deposit, and Transportation Fee are a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages we have incurred or may incur in transporting, remarketing, and reselling the Vehicle, costs which are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date.

The transport fee only applies to demo and inventory cars from "distant" service center that you pay to ship to a closer one. I bought a demo Y from a SC about 200+ miles away and would have been charged a $500 transport fee if I declined it after it was shipped to my local SC. New cars shipped from the factory have a "destination/delivery charge" that is federally mandated and on the Monroney sticker.

Upvote 0
It sounds like they don't have the details worked out on what will qualify, so it is impossible to say how the IRS will interpret it until they start processing 2023 returns. Like most legislation these days, it was written sloppily and leaves the details to others. There is a provision regarding used e-vehicles that sell for under $25K getting a max rebate of $4K which may help those re-sales you mentioned. The other thing is income caps- $150K for a single filer/$300K for couples, and lower caps on used cars. I'd like to see someone making under $150K qualify for a loan on a $70K Tesla Y. So it looks like they will not be paying out much on this great piece of work by our congress and president. Much ado about nothing IMO.
Keep in mind this administration wanted to pass a much more comprehensive bill relating to these tax credits, but had to skim it way down to get it to pass due to the opposition. I’m not saying the opposition was good or bad, but that’s why this became the ‘mess’ that it appears to be now.

Upvote 0
The weirdest part of the tax return is the fact that it will now be processed at time of sale, like an instant rebate. So now we have to give out tax information to the dealerships?
My guess is the the delivering dealer will need to get the buyer to sign a document swearing that the info they provided is true and file a document that the tax credit was given which the IRS will have. If at tax time it’s found you lied, you’ll pay the credit back with penalties. So don’t get a big promotion the same year you buy.

Upvote 0
What tax credits are you talking about? Is there a new one? Because last I heard Tesla model Y is not eligible. My first Tesla MYLR wasn’t eligible back in 2021. I just ordered my 2nd MYLR red color last month and I also have a EDD of December 2022.

Upvote 0
What tax credits are you talking about? Is there a new one? Because last I heard Tesla model Y is not eligible. My first Tesla MYLR wasn’t eligible back in 2021. I just ordered my 2nd MYLR red color last month and I also have a EDD of December 2022.
Tax Credit takes effect 1 Jan 23 and covers American made SUVs up to $80,000. Tesla's 200,000 vehicle limit lifted.

If Model Y is classified as an SUV, it will qualify. Both my 2021 and 2022 MYs were
Classified as SUVs

"Because their prices are above $55,000, the Cadillac Lyriq and Tesla Model Y would qualify only if they are classified as SUVs and not station wagons, and if buyers don’t choose options that bring the price over $80,000."

Can you imagine your Dec MYLR being $7500 less weeks later?

Reactions: acpd
Upvote 0
The transport fee only applies to demo and inventory cars from "distant" service center that you pay to ship to a closer one. I bought a demo Y from a SC about 200+ miles away and would have been charged a $500 transport fee if I declined it after it was shipped to my local SC. New cars shipped from the factory have a "destination/delivery charge" that is federally mandated and on the Monroney sticker.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful in influencing my cancelation. Canceling today, like many others have already.
I kinda doubt that. They’ll still sell every car they can make. If anything, their average transaction price will go up as they get old orders at lower prices off the books.
Say what?

Tesla (TSLA) pulls demand levers in China, launches referral program and cuts prices​

Reactions: randmness and acpd
Upvote 0
Tesla is cutting prices in China due to a slowing in sales.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I just completed the cancelation of my MYLR and forfeited the $250 deposit.
No other costs were involved. I was honest and told them that the car which was originally ordered with a Mar 2023 delivery date, had been moved up and I wanted to receive the Jan 2023 Tax Credit. I am sure there will be many cancelations to follow.

Attachments

• Tesla Sales.jpg
    Tesla Sales.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ord3r and acpd
Upvote 0