Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimate charge % LEAVING supercharger?

Leeroy

2021 SR+
May 26, 2021
Victoria
Hi all,
Wanting to take my new SR+ to Mt Bulla from Melbourne. The trip planner shows a 25min stop at the Yea supercharger to arrive at Mt Bulla with 17%.
This would be a day trip, so realistically need to be able to get from Yea, up the mountain and back to Yea without charging. That distance is 250km round trip so should be doable.
I’m yet to supercharge my car, but is there anyway to know what % the trip planner is planning to charge to? Meaning, does it just charge enough to get me to the destination with an arbitrary amount? Or is there anyway I can do a round trip without having to be in Yea?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9

Leeroy

2021 SR+
May 26, 2021
Victoria
No I think what it’s saying that 17% is what you’d have left if you don’t charge at all at Yea. The % you charge to is up to you
Really? Because if I removed the charging stops and it showed 3% on arrival, so assumed that was with the 25min charge.

Leeroy

2021 SR+
May 26, 2021
Victoria
It's almost like we need waypoints. But because we don't, use Abetterrouteplanner....
Yes I’ve had a play with that and seems very helpful. How accurate is it? Not interested in exacts, but wondered if it took in to account the climb up the mountain?

paulp

Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide, Australia
Yes I’ve had a play with that and seems very helpful. How accurate is it? Not interested in exacts, but wondered if it took in to account the climb up the mountain?
You can test if the climb has been accounted for by putting in a one way trip to your destination. If its half the two way trip then no, as you’ll use a lot more going up and regenerate a lot coming down

Flatbat

Nov 12, 2019
Melbourne
The % is what you arrive at the supercharger with & then the destination having supercharged. If you remove the Supercharge it will just show destination arrival % as you discovered.

It takes into account terrain. You can verify this simply by opening the energy graph after you enter a route. Where the green line is going up it has you going downhill. In this example the route is taking me up Mt BawBaw. You can see how it steepens at the end & the terrain enroute.
Note that the energy graph only displays to you next charge point. So you will have to program direct to Buller to see it that ascent. Otherwise it will just show to Yea.

1623658934230.png

Leeroy

2021 SR+
May 26, 2021
Victoria
Of course (sorry silly question) did as you said and it appears 51% up and 24% down, so yes looks like it does. I’d hope the regent works ok in that cold a temp!

Reactions: paulp

Leeroy

2021 SR+
May 26, 2021
Victoria
The % is what you arrive at the supercharger with & then the destination having supercharged. If you remove the Supercharge it will just show destination arrival % as you discovered.

It takes into account terrain. You can verify this simply by opening the energy graph after you enter a route. Where the green line is going up it has you going downhill. In this example the route is taking me up Mt BawBaw. You can see how it steepens at the end & the terrain enroute.
Note that the energy graph only displays to you next charge point. So you will have to program direct to Buller to see it that ascent. Otherwise it will just show to Yea.

View attachment 673224
Thanks, that’s helpful.

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
ABRP is fairly accurate - in my experience, more so than the in-car planner (it's a bit less optimistic in general). Neither of them take into account additional draw from the climate control, from what I can tell.

ABRP does take into account altitude changes, as well as speed (this can be a source of inaccuracy if it's missing speed limit data for some C roads - if you click on any point of the route you get a little pop up showing expected the altitude and speed there). It can also take into account temperature/weather, and additional weight, if you go into the detailed options.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
Looks to me like if you charge up full at Yea you should make it to Buller and back.

Make sure you don't have Sentry mode on while it's parked at Buller, and on the way back set the Tesla navigation to Yea so that it'll tell you if you need to slow down to make it.

Reactions: Leeroy and Flatbat

AussieOwner

White M3 2021 LR
May 19, 2021
Regional Australia
Looks to me like if you charge up full at Yea you should make it to Buller and back.

Make sure you don't have Sentry mode on while it's parked at Buller, and on the way back set the Tesla navigation to Yea so that it'll tell you if you need to slow down to make it.
Has Buller installed chargers yet?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC