Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimate on this P85D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a friend that is offering me a P85D+, fully optioned (aside from rear jump seats), with an extra set of winter rims and tires, excellent condition, with 48k miles on the odometer and 2 year 50k mike warranty and motor / battery until 2023. In your opinion, is 47k a good deal for this car?

I’m deciding between this and a new P3D- and either car would be a dream to own. KBB makes it seem like this is a pretty good deal that has eaten most it’s depreciation whereas the P3 is a wildcard with what it will sell for once the cybertruck is released. The P3 I can return within a week, but I figure I could flip the P85D+ and break even within the next few months. What do you guys think is the better deal / opportunity?

(my commute is about 30 mins / 26 miles a day so range isn’t on the top of my concerns list so much as best bang for my buck once cybertruck rolls out in 2022/23)

You didn't list the year or the color combo but based on only the info you've presented currently this sounds like a very good deal based on what is currently available. Also, what is that "+" for on the end of the P85D? Are you being told it has Ludicrous as an option or that is the Performance Plus suspension or ???

Warning: There will be people that come along shortly (who claim to have me blocked but also oddly seem to have me on their "follow" list since they stalk me all over this forum) that claim that car is only worth like $25k or some absurdly low number. Just know that most all of them with idiotic low-ball ideas of what you "should" be able to buy a Model S for... don't actually own a Model S. I've owned three that I bought recently, all used and all of various years/color combo/options/miles and location so I think I have a pretty solid idea what the used market looks like. They live in a fantasy world where if they say it enough times everyone else will believe it so they can finally afford a not-clapped-out Model S which is all their current budget will allow based on what they're actually selling for.

Also, I wouldn't personally own a Model 3 but that's just me.

My car is also a P85D+, fully loaded, 35K miles, Arachnid rims, 4 years left on Tesla warranty, and I’ll sell you mine for less.

We are not friends.

That’s my opinion on that “deal”.

@P3DFed, compare the car to this at $50K: 2014 Model S | Tesla
Adjust for options. Tesla trade-in value would be ~$10K under the CPO price - something to keep in mind if you want to negotiate the price.

Another thing to consider is sales tax credit. You don't say which state you are in on the East Coast, so don't know whether sales tax credit is a factor. If you live in a state where there is sales tax credit on trade-ins, the seller will get that on the trade-in value, for example if I trade in a car for $40K in Washington state, I get $44K value out of it, so private party would have to be higher to make it worth while to me, so a $44K offer would definitely be a no-go, but if I lived in New Hampshire where there is no sales tax, $44K offer might be good offer.

The numbers I used above just examples by the way, start with comparable cars to determine what would it go for from Tesla CPO or private sources with similar options and warranty.

You can't predict the future with depreciation values. I would not try to speculate, but choose the car you prefer driving for the next 3-4 years if you are waiting on the Cybertruck. Have you driven both? They are very, very different cars. I had the 12/14 P85D+ before, and have driven the P3D and now have a 3 (though SR+). 3 vs S is very different. P85D vs. P3D is very different. I'd choose the car you can see yourself driving for a few more years.

47 k is a fair deal in my opinion. My car 2015 P85DL did not sell at 51k so I’m trading in on a performance S. There were a number of cars like mine on TMC that all came up at the same time for 50k to 56k. Most did not sell And the ones that did were around 47 to 52 at a high

47 k is a fair deal in my opinion. My car 2015 P85DL did not sell at 51k so I’m trading in on a performance S. There were a number of cars like mine on TMC that all came up at the same time for 50k to 56k. Most did not sell And the ones that did were around 47 to 52 at a high

There's some differences (obviously) between the two cars so it's not an exact comparison.

Your car has tan interior which isn't as sought after as black interior. Also, your car includes no warranty other than the 8-year power-train warranty which are two massive differences from the car being discussed here. Your car also has/had 10% more miles which, admittedly, isn't a large difference. Yours also didn't include dual chargers which I can only assume the car being discussed here does since the OP said every option other than rear-facing seats. But that could be an oversight on the OP's part because I see no mention of Ludicrous specifically but that seems like a large item to omit. There's other differences but we don't need to get too deep into the weeds here.

Not bashing on your car at all as it's a few grand and a few options from having my full interest... just stating the differences the potential buyers may be factoring.

Month into a 2015 P85D with + suspension non Ludacris (story for another day on Ludacris) via Tesla pre owned. I have the jump seats and next gen backseat (larger bolsters).

I test drove a P3D before buying the S.

I paid low 50's with 32,000 on the clock. Could I have gotten a better deal by a couple of grand, sure...could I have found a cleaner car for that price range? Probably not

I historically drive 10k miles a year. I put 3000 on it in the first 30 days. I just don't want to stop driving it...I love my car

You need to factor in a few thousand for the extra wheels and tires.

• Disagree
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I’m deciding between this and a new P3D- and either car would be a dream to own.
P3D 0-60 time is down to 3 seconds. P85D+ was 2.8 seconds when new. Can it get that fast still?
I would only choose the P85D if can take advantage of a big car. P3D has longer range, faster charging, more efficient, track mode, better track times, longer better warranty, better autopilot, and FSD option.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial