Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimate RTA / tabs cost without Vin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Seattle area people.
While I'm awaiting my model 3 Vin, I'd like to get an idea of what new tabs fees I can expect. Unfortunately it seems like the Washington dol tab estimator basically requires a license plate or Vin and I have neither.
I was hoping some people in the Seattle area who already have their model 3s, could give me an idea of what to expect the tab fees to be for a model 3 awd or performance version?
Thanks

That thread has since updated. Seems to be a lot of discussion about whether it's always 385 or 583 for AWD (which is what i am being quoted on my latest final payment docs). I'm even more confused since I live outside of the RTA zone and am still getting this charge added to my payment.

That thread has since updated. Seems to be a lot of discussion about whether it's always 385 or 583 for AWD (which is what i am being quoted on my latest final payment docs). I'm even more confused since I live outside of the RTA zone and am still getting this charge added to my payment.

Just a hunch, but if you're taking "delivery" of the vehicle at Tesla in Seattle or Bellevue, you're going to get nailed with the RTA tax on initial registration. Upon tab renewal, if you're outside of the RTA zone where the car is registered address-wise, you will not get charged. Only way to avoid it is to have "Home Delivery" to your address outside of the RTA zone. (We had one Seattle Model 3 member do just that and saved on RTA fees and Sales Tax upwards of $4K).

I live outside the RTA zone and they didn't hit me with the RTA charge. I would have had a fit if they tried to do that to me.

If you live outside the RTA zone they should not be charging you the RTA tax. If they try to, tell them to take the paperwork back and fix it or you are leaving without the car.

No need to make demands. Even if they charge you more, they always do it as an estimate and then give you a check for the actual difference when registration goes through.

The state will presumably not charge a non RTA address the RTA tax. I got a check back for like $11.

Thanks for the responses. I've already been charged the RTA fee as I am not financing and had to pay for the car prior to delivery ( the final paperwork in my account had the $583 RTA tax included). I'm taking delivery at home, so I will be sure to mention it when the delivery takes place and i'll have to either wait for the refund check or chase it up. How long did it take them to send you the check?