Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimate Trade-In Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strong possibility. That's the gripe. There really should be an 'out' if something changes that drastically. I keep hearing Tesla's not in the used car business. Okay, fine, how about you partner with a third party like CarMax? That way, Tesla has a backer and you can still maintain the tax credit. This is the problem with direct to manufacture auto sales, they only care about selling their car. Your current car is your problem and it's hard to shop trade values once you zero in on a vehicle you really like.
Back in 2017, Tesla did allow you to take your trade-in vehicle to CarMax for a quote which Tesla would honor. We did this in 2017 when we purchased the MX100D. Shame that Tesla no longer provides this option (another example of Tesla providing less at higher cost). In October, 2022, I sold my 2018 M3P to CarMax for $14K more vs what Tesla offered. I took the cash and purchased a 2023 Genesis electric G80. Genesis dealer offered me same trade offer as CarMax but I had already completed the sale. Never been happier. When it comes time to replace the MX, will look at 3rd party options first.

Back in 2017, Tesla did allow you to take your trade-in vehicle to CarMax for a quote which Tesla would honor. We did this in 2017 when we purchased the MX100D. Shame that Tesla no longer provides this option (another example of Tesla providing less at higher cost). In October, 2022, I sold my 2018 M3P to CarMax for $14K more vs what Tesla offered. I took the cash and purchased a 2023 Genesis electric G80. Genesis dealer offered me same trade offer as CarMax but I had already completed the sale. Never been happier. When it comes time to replace the MX, will look at 3rd party options first.
Carmax pays dealers a $1000 as long as they signup. You only have to have a physical appraisal within 7 days.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
Selling my Performance M3 to 3rd party tomorrow. Will just have MX 100D until I decide what to buy.
Just closing out my story. Cash from sale of 2018 M3P was used to purchase 2023 Genesis electric G80. Never been happier.
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg

Just closing out my story. Cash from sale of 2018 M3P was used to purchase 2023 Genesis electric G80. Never been happier.
looks amazing. the brown interior is such a rich-looking interior. if you don't mind me asking..... was there a sizable dealer markup/"market adjustment" for it? while i know it's totally their right, but it's a turn off to me. but that's the price to pay for this crazy auto marketplace these days, i guess

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
looks amazing. the brown interior is such a rich-looking interior. if you don't mind me asking..... was there a sizable dealer markup/"market adjustment" for it? while i know it's totally their right, but it's a turn off to me. but that's the price to pay for this crazy auto marketplace these days, i guess
$0 markup, paid sticker price only. Genesis Concierge informed me that only certain dealers are EV authorized and they are not to charge above sticker. I was directed to EV authorized dealers only and had email commitment to pay sticker, no markup. I do not know if this is true but it was for me.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Tesla offered me a trade estimate of $46,113 - $49,871 on June 24. (I have email from Tesla).

Today, I received a final offer of $31,300. (The mileage has not changed in the 3 weeks).

I understand the initial was an estimate, but we're talking a difference of over $15k. This is after I placed a $250 deposit for a car. (bait and switch)

Any recourse on my end?

So far, they are not willing to up the final trade in offer.

How accurate have the Tesla trade-in values been? I don’t overly feel comfortable giving a non-refundable $250 and feel as if I’m being strong armed.
If the vehicle is in good shape without any hidden damage or history, the final number should be in the range they initially give you.
If after running autocheck.com and photos uploaded, they discover accidents and damage you did not tell them about during the web Q&A, the number will go lower.
I did not, not heard others negotiated with Tesla showing them proof of higher offers from Carmax and Carvana. YMMV

Tesla offered me a trade estimate of $46,113 - $49,871 on June 24. (I have email from Tesla).

Today, I received a final offer of $31,300. (The mileage has not changed in the 3 weeks).

I understand the initial was an estimate, but we're talking a difference of over $15k. This is after I placed a $250 deposit for a car. (bait and switch)

Any recourse on my end?

Wow! And I thought they were bad when they were $2k below their lowest estimate. Just do what most others have done and sell to one of the online vendors, like Vroom, Carvana, Carmax, KBB, etc... There's not much else you can do about it.

My highest trade pre est was
1689368017763.jpeg

My trusted Jeep dealer offered $26K

Received $24K from Tesla
Saved $2K sales tax
Total trade $26K

Felt $26K vs $27K was fair
Absolutely no hassle

Lesson learned, dont prep or waste time and money on cleaning the vehicle

Any recourse on my end?

UNLESS U have the initial offer stated by a certain date, otherwise U have no case.

The law of "Supply and demand," 3 wks could change the offer dramatically , but not (-)$15K IMO. Maybe something else going on

My highest trade pre est was
View attachment 956296
My trusted Jeep dealer offered $26K

Received $24K from Tesla
Saved $2K sales tax
Total trade $26K

Felt $26K vs $27K was fair
Absolutely no hassle

Lesson learned, dont prep or waste time and money on cleaning the vehicle
Over 8% sales tax! I thought it was bad here.

Did you try Vroom, or KBB's instant cash offer? They were both close to the KBB trade-in value for me.

I just accepted my trade-in offer from Tesla. Original offer was $26,800 - $28,800 ($2500 more than Carvana and $2550 more than Driveway). I was concerned after I placed my ordered for the MY they would lowball me. Not the case, I got the high end of their offer and received my VIN immediately as 2 cars with my specs are coming in next week.

Reactions: CuriousWren