Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated Range on my “New” Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question here. I recently purchased a “new” lot demo SR+ Model 3 with 4000 miles on it.

My estimated range fluctuates between 236 & 237 miles.

Is the car losing range after only a few thousand miles something I should be concerned with?

Quick question here. I recently purchased a “new” lot demo SR+ Model 3 with 4000 miles on it.

Is the car losing range after only a few thousand miles something I should be concerned with?

It is fine. The car will indicate much larger range fluctuations than that over time. That number is a crude estimate influenced by many things only one of which is battery health.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
It is fine. The car will indicate much larger range fluctuations than that over time. That number is a crude estimate influenced by many things only one of which is battery health.

This.

Think of it as your weight if you weighed yourself 3 times a day. It's going to go up and down.

Now if you start gaining weight every day for weeks and weeks .... start to worry about it. Otherwise, just ignore small fluctuations.

In addition to the preceding advice, be aware that EV batteries often lose some capacity in the first year or so, but the rate of capacity loss typically declines after that. I don't recall the precise figures, but I think it's on the order of 5% range loss in the first year, followed by another 5% over the next 5-10 years. (To reiterate, those are very rough estimates from memory; I Googled but couldn't find a good reference.) Since you bought a demo car that already had 4,000 miles on it, it may have already suffered a good chunk of that first-year battery degradation.

Another point is that Tesla's battery management system (BMS) calibrates the battery capacity when it can "see" low and high states of charge. Thus, if things seem to be getting out of whack, you might try draining the battery to a low SoC (I'm not sure how low -- maybe 20%?), then charging to 100% (but do the latter only when you plan to drive enough to get to 90% or lower within a few hours, since keeping the battery at 100% for a long time is detrimental to its health). Don't do this often, though, since high charges and deep discharges are harmful; do it only if you think the range estimate is getting seriously inaccurate.

Reactions: JES2

Its likely not "losing range". For more reading on the topic, search here for topics around your thread title and you will find dozens of recent threads that basically say the same thing as yours ("I have lost 2/3/4 miles of range after only 1k/2k/3k/4k miles... Is there something wrong with my car???).

If the loss of a few miles of RATED range is bothering you, try the following:

1. Set your charge percentage to 90% (not 80%, not 70%, but 90 percent.. the highest line thats is not in the TRIP area).
2. Drive your car, and plug in every day when you get to your garage.
3. do not "charge every couple days" or "when its low" during this time.

Do this for about a week and see if the above helps re calibrate your BMS.

If you are not plugging in every day, or charging to less than 90%, reading here tells me that you have a chance at the rated range number starting to lose range. NOTE: that "3 miles" "Lost" is almost certainly not actually lost.. its just the battery management system not showing the range properly. Since the car was a demo, it may not have been plugged in daily, and was only plugged in "when needed". The BMS calculations seem to be most accurate when the car is charged to 90%, and charged daily. Not doing so does not hurt your car. not doing so does not actually effect your actual range. It just effects the number reported from what we can tell.

I have 13k miles on my car now, and have lost 0 miles of rated range on my Model 3P. I plug in every time my car enters my garage while others who report charging to 80% or every other day, or some other "charging routing", show some miles lost. I suspect its because my BMS can be very accurate because I charge to 90% every day, and drive 80 ish miles round trip to work and back every day, so my car sees a repeatable, easily to calculate amount of usage every day, with a charge every evening.

Before I get jumped on, I am not saying that charging less than to 90%, or not charging every day is bad. I said it above, but am repeating it here. I am just saying that its my opinion that the car "estimates" the number better with a charge to 90% and being charged every day. That number is just an estimate, but a lot of people, ESPECIALLY NEW TESLA OWNERS are hyper focused on that number and stress out when that number changes even 1-2 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdw