TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Estimated Time From Production to Delivery?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by theslimshadyist, Sep 10, 2016.

1. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

When an MS goes into production, how long does it typically take from that point to delivery?

2. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

#2 RogerHScott, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Production is usually 4-5 days. Delivery depends on to where. Union City, CA? A couple of hours. Tbilisi, Georgia? A bit longer.
    Even to the same location it can vary considerably depending on how much of a hurry TMC is in to be able to count the sale.
    My delivery to the Midwest right at the end of a quarter was much faster than normal 'cause they put it on a truck rather than the
    usual train to Chicago.

3. theslimshadyist

Ok, using your data point if production is 4-5 days I would think that it would be safe to say that within a month I would have my vehicle assuming there aren't any issues with production and assembly. I live in Nashville so this may or may not play to my advantage. I was thinking of trying to time the production after Jan 1 and receive the vehicle in late Jan. I'm currently scheduled for end of December delivery but I'm trying to time it right for a 2017 VIN without having to wait 2-3 months for it to arrive.

My belief based on what my DS told me is that the VIN is assigned when production starts.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

That doesn't sound right. If your car is in production now you most certainly will have a 2016 VIN. It's based on build not delivery date unless something has changed recently.

5. Rmsosu

Rmsosu Member

Ordered my S Aug 3 and picking it up Sept 14.

6. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Well, my S60 was in the paint department yesterday and they're estimating a mid-october delivery. However, while I was on the phone with the delivery person they asked "if we can get it here around the 28-30th, would you be able to take delivery then?". Keep in mind my delivery will be in Georgia. So it seems they are currently rushing these cars to the delivery locations if they think they can make a Q3 delivery happen.

7. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Paint department? You have a good DS because most do not get info like that. And yes they are rushing cars thru for Q3 deliveries.

8. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I'm looking at 6 weeks from order to delivery. Would have been 5, but my car is lost in the mail. Lol I would think transport would be about the same to TN.

9. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Eh. See here:
    First Tesla - "Meh" experience so far

I think someone from up higher saw the post I made here Friday night because first thing Saturday I started getting numerous emails and phone calls from the same people who had ignored me for a week all of the sudden being super helpful. They were offering daily updates, etc. I told them that wasn't necessary but I wouldn't mind a quick email once the car is in transit.

The folks in Nashville and California have been great. The crew in Georgia needs some training. I appreciate them now being helpful but I'm well aware that it's because someone above them pointed out they were slacking. Kudos to Tesla for keeping an eye on the forums and taking care of their customers though!

• Like x 1
  10. msnow

msnow Active Member

I really doubt your DS knows what stage of production your car is in. They are likely guessing.

11. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

He is not the first to get updates like this. And once a VIN is assigned it probably is not too hard figuring out where the vehicle is in production. AND if he is correct in assuming a higher up was involved it is even more likely

12. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Yes, that would be @JonMc who put things in motion.

13. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Well, I definitely appreciate it!

14. msnow

msnow Active Member

Did McNeil say that or are you speculating?

15. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Informed guess. He posted in an after sales experience thread just a few days ago saying that he is on here explicitly looking for feedback on how to make the experience even better.

16. bradnabors

bradnabors Member

As a data point, here is the timeline so far for my 6-seater X (White, multi-coat)
    Sept 1st. Order complete
    Sept 8th. Order “confirmed”
    Sept 9th. VIN assigned 5YJXCBE21GF0205xx
    Sept 19th. In production according to rep at SC, “...it just moved into the main production line. It is currently in paint …”

I was told late October delivery, but maybe they will try to squeeze this one in for a Sept delivery as well? I won’t fault them if they do!

17. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

For me its going to be about 2 weeks from beginning of production to delivery (to Texas). You can also check here for details and data points:

Model S Order & Delivery 2016

18. theslimshadyist

Got it and thanks!