Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimating build date from VIN ?

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Is there any way to get an estimate of build date from a MY VIN?

I realize the VIN does not contains only the build year, but was hoping there might be a database somewhere where owners have been reporting VIN, build/purchase date, and features for reference.

I just received VIN 228399 and I am wondering how recent it is.

OCJeff

OD: 6/4 MYLR5 White/White/20” Del. 9/16
Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
Look at the tracking spreadsheet and then go from there. That’s your best crowdsourcing approach.

Look for similar VIN’s and then look at the majority of early deliveries for that range. Assume maybe build date was 1-2 weeks earlier depending on final destination.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Thanks, I didn't know that spreadsheet existed! That's just what I was looking for.

I linked it here in case someone else sees this thread.

It seems only some entries have both a VIN and a month/year of manufacture. After sorting by VIN mine is later than the most recent date of June 2021 so I guess it was built in the past couple weeks.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC