Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimating EU reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joking aside, it might well be seen as information that they don't want out there and Tesla could simply allocate blocks of invoice numbers which would really screw up the assumptions here.

...as they have already done with VINs. Yet nobody seems to be arguing for shutting down the thread(s) were VINs are analysed.

There is no evidence that this has happened with invoice numbers yet. Once it does, then we can see if there is still an acceptable signal/noise ratio in this data. If not, then we abandon this thread at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the invoice number starts with a country code like this: NL00000001 or with a number like this: 6800000001 ?

Number. In Norway it is 6700000001.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I find the data so far astonishing. The EU reservations are lower than I thought, and not very impressive. And is it possible that Norway has >50% of EU demand? Of course we do not have reports from a number of countries yet...

This number - between 3,500 and 4,000 if you count countries not reporting yet - is pretty much what could be expected from 5,000+ reservations. A cancellation rate of 25-30% is not high if you consider that there were quite some old reservations. What matters now is the rate of new reservations/orders coming in over the next few months.

This number - between 3,500 and 4,000 if you count countries not reporting yet - is pretty much what could be expected from 5,000+ reservations. A cancellation rate of 25-30% is not high if you consider that there were quite some old reservations. What matters now is the rate of new reservations/orders coming in over the next few months.

If we are somewhat above 5k reservations, that means 2k new reservations since I booked my car in early April. That would give a yearly reservation rate of 6k cars. I guess that this is the run rate we have been at - I remember we found approx. 1k reservations from early April to early June. I was just expecting that with the opening of new stores and significant increase in press coverage, this would push the reservations rate up.

We'll know more when we see the effect on reservations of actual cars on the streets.

If we are somewhat above 5k reservations, that means 2k new reservations since I booked my car in early April. That would give a yearly reservation rate of 6k cars. I guess that this is the run rate we have been at - I remember we found approx. 1k reservations from early April to early June. I was just expecting that with the opening of new stores and significant increase in press coverage, this would push the reservations rate up.

We'll know more when we see the effect on reservations of actual cars on the streets.

I live in Bergen, and the store is not open yet. Been trying to get a testdrive with the one car they have got now tho. When the cars get delivered we will see an increase. I know alot of ppl that are considering, but they want a testdrive first.

These numbers are scary low. There is no way they can justify building SC networks on so few reservations. Even in Norway. A SC costs a quarter million dollars to build. That's a thousand dollar per current owner...

Germany alone would need more than 30 SCs to be viable (keep in mind that going 150km/h cuts the range of an 85kWh car to under 200km...). They need to be able to sell at lest 10k cars into Germany to make that worth while...

Agreed, if the res.numbers would stay that low.
But i would not count on that at all. The impact of Model S and awareness of Tesla in general in the EU Region (including Norway & Switzerland) has just begun. (articles in mainstream news, autoblogs, financial news all over).
Tesla will deliver 300 cars in Switzerland until end of 2013 (source TM sales rep), and my guess is the sales will explode in 2014. Source: neighbors, friends (diehard petrolheads and the like) i'd never thought they would even glance at an EV plan to order one or have already ordered a Model S.

Tesla must expand the SC Network across EU to remain ahead of the competition. As a next step, Tesla should implement some of the gadgets we got used to and are expecting from a car in that price range: better interior quality, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection etc. (i know this has been covered indifferent threads, but still belongs somewhat here).

The cars will sell themselves once they hit the roads. Can't wait to get mine, 6 days and counting....

The impact of Model S and awareness of Tesla in general in the EU Region (including Norway & Switzerland) has just begun. (articles in mainstream news, autoblogs, financial news all over).
Interesting that you say that. I've looked through all the car magazines in Austria and Germany and see lots of coverage of the i3 and i8 but nothing on the Tesla anywhere...
The cars will sell themselves once they hit the roads. Can't wait to get mine, 6 days and counting....
I'm in Germany on vacation right now and can't wait to be back to drive my Model S again. I know you'll love yours :)
Congratulations on being one of the first in Europe to have the ultimate dream car...

Interesting that you say that. I've looked through all the car magazines in Austria and Germany and see lots of coverage of the i3 and i8 but nothing on the Tesla anywhere...

I'm in Germany on vacation right now and can't wait to be back to drive my Model S again. I know you'll love yours :)
Congratulations on being one of the first in Europe to have the ultimate dream car...

dirkhh, your'e absolutely right when it comes to printed magazines, they will eventually publish a hit piece or BS on Tesla, they are just to heavily dependent on ads from the big automakers... i meant more the online media. cash | Home (online finance platform) published even a balanced article on the hyperloop today..talking about awareness of Elon and Tesla. ... amazing or scary.. Tesla will be mainstream soon ; ))

These numbers are scary low. There is no way they can justify building SC networks on so few reservations. Even in Norway. A SC costs a quarter million dollars to build. That's a thousand dollar per current owner...

They have 2000 or so orders from Norway. 6 SuperChargers is being built. So it's a little less than a thousand dollars per owner, which IMHO is a bargain. We pay $2000 for SuperCharger access (though built into the 85kWh).

If they sell 2000 cars per year here and we get 6 new SCs per year we will soon have the whole country nicely covered.

Another way to look at it:

SC buildout drives sales. A $100k car (seems to be the avg. price here) with a 25% margin yields $25k in cash. That means one new SC only needs to attract 10 new sales. 30 SCs for Germany would certainly attract 300 extra sales? 30 new SCs in Norway would probably attract 3000 new sales. So the SC buildout is wildly cash flow positive in my mind.