Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimating the actual electricity used by Model 3

I was curious how to best convert the kwh in trip meter to the actual kwh off the wall. I googled and found the following topic:

Model 3 showing wrong kWh consumption?

It appears that the take home messages are:

1. Tesla's kwh usage does not take into account the energy used for pre-heating etc. That's a big chunk of energy missing from the trip meter based on my two months experience with SR+. Pre-heating the car eats a lot of % of battery.

2. 1.25x minimum to convert the kwh in trip meter to the actual electricity charged off the outlet.

Right now based on the trip meter I got 300wh/mile with total of 825kwh used over 2750 miles. I pay $0.175/kwh at home so my cost of electricity is 0.175 x 825 x 1.25 = $180.

My old car @ 19.5mpg and $3.5 premium gas would cost $490 over 2750 miles. Good to know I saved $300 and hopefully once the summer comes the savings will grow bigger.

Why would you need to estimate when there is a tool like TeslaFi out there? Lots of great data gathering including home and supercharger charges. Enter your electrical rated and Teslafi.com does everything else.

Check it out with a free trial- use bsietz as your referrer and get an extra few weeks.

Brian

RoBoRaT

Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
I estimate my consumption by comparing electric bill/usage on days that I charge my car vs no charging days.

Here's what I do:

Find average House Consumption on No-charge days (Sat/Sun) ~ 15 kWh.

Charge only during off-peak rate (to have constant cost factor), start 1200 midnight that day (MTWThF). Average House Consumption (including EV charging/preheating) ~ 60 kWh.

So, 60 kWh - 15 kWh = 45 kWh per commute day.
I drive about 160 miles per work day, hence 45 kWh.

Other than that, Im sure there are Apps/meter that you can hook up to your Wall Connector/Charger to get exact energy sent to the EV.

Yup, as per Brian - TESLAFI is the App you are looking for.

Last edited:

hcdavis3

HCD3
Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2019
I installed an inexpensive watt meter that gives me actual watts used. From Amazon. I can’t remember the cost, but it’s around 20 bucks. I use Teslafi as well.

Attachments

• C499006F-BA80-499E-B0DF-2C3A8DBEA383.jpeg
    C499006F-BA80-499E-B0DF-2C3A8DBEA383.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 35
This difference is greatest in the depths of winter when you tend to use cabin pre-heating extensively.

Yeah. I found that it can cost me almost 1% battery for every couple minutes of pre-heating and I can easily use 5% batter if I preheat for like 10-15 minutes. That's like 2.5-3 kwh which is about $0.5 electricity. Doing this twice everyday it can add up quite quickly.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC