Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimation recuperative cost parting salvage Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this topic has already been covered. Has anyone run across a spreadsheet of what someone can expect make in returns for parting out a Tesla Model S. Rich Rebuilds famously bought 2 salvage Model S vehicles and ended up with a functional vehicle with a debt of $6500 I believe.

The demand for salvage Model S vehicles has increased the auction price to buy these vehicles. From the small consensus I’ve seen, it’s not as feasible as it was years ago. Other than Facebook marketplace, CL, Car-parts.com, and eBay, where else can you get the most value for parting a car?

I don’t know, but the few times I’ve been looking for parts, there were many eBay sellers asking more for used parts than Tesla sold the part for new.

So, be clear that “asking price” is often disconnected from “market price” on those platforms.

I apologize if this topic has already been covered. Has anyone run across a spreadsheet of what someone can expect make in returns for parting out a Tesla Model S. Rich Rebuilds famously bought 2 salvage Model S vehicles and ended up with a functional vehicle with a debt of $6500 I believe.

The demand for salvage Model S vehicles has increased the auction price to buy these vehicles. From the small consensus I’ve seen, it’s not as feasible as it was years ago. Other than Facebook marketplace, CL, Car-parts.com, and eBay, where else can you get the most value for parting a car?

At this point in the game I'd say you as a "starter" would lack the network and infrastructure. Rich did that a long time ago. There are so many pros doing it now that you'll get priced out of the game really quick.

Even knowing the game fairly well myself, I asked the body shop to save my parts they took off (of my car from an impact) that were intact. I attempted to sell them on ebay and craigslist. This was in 2016. I got nothing for them, i ended up taking two doors to the scrapyard for 5 dollars to get them out of my garage after about 6 months of sitting. I donated a handful of other useful parts to a local tesla chop shop (pros, Autobahn Parts - Autobahn BMW & Porsche Parts Dismantler) for some goodwill and headsup on their next batch of hot items (undented hood specifically).

I'd caution against buying Teslas to part them out for profit.

Last edited: