Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estonia Crash - sorry bout your rental Super Mario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bgarret

Model 3 ownin' Michigan scofflaw
May 10, 2013
Michigan
  • Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Eh, hadn't noticed our incident made global news. Haven't been on TMC today for obvious reasons as tons of stuff to arrange with the car and police etc.

The driver is fine, picked him up,from hospital ca 4h after the crash, they mostly had him in for safety checks. He's a tall guy, over 2m so getting hit where he did and with some interior compression he had some pressure on his feet, but nothing's broken, just some bruising that'll heal in a week or two. The crane hit the car straight in the A pilar flying it some good 30+ meters.

The report of a passenger is accurate, he was taken to a hospital as well, but I don't know about his state, last I heard they kept him overnight for observations, but from what I understood his life is not in danger.

Now as to why it all happened it's still investigated, the Tesla started to drive as the driver is sure his signal turned green, yet the other driver claims it was green too and police seem to corraborate his story. Driver didn't see the crane as there was a truck to his left blocking the view and the crash happened as he cleared the truck so no time to react.

I have to say, being on-site and seeing the car I'm pretty glad we only rent Teslas or I would have had a dead customer this morning... i think the battery pack helped keep the cabin in shape as the massive crane plowed into it. Of course luck was involved too as I doubt it'd have been as lucky if the crane had hit straight to driver door.

No matter who was guilty, the car is covered by insurance and the important part is that all involved are alive. We're already looking at inventory cars as we're hard pressed with cars right now and it'll just depend when the insurance makes the payout...

Again, lucky it was a Tesla, many people commented that any other car and the ambulance could only have pronounced the time...

Quoting here too what I wrote in short term thread where I first saw it.

Reactions: ModelX