Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ETA Change during Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I’m road-tripping from Illinois to Florida-4 people in 2019 model 3 with FSD and most recent update.

I’m finding that Tesla will route to destination, including superchargers and give time estimates all as usual-but even when we stop/charge/go without wasted time the ETA goes up a half hour! The ETA ends up being correct of course, but it’s frustrating that we routed the night before and are now finding out that we’ll be there much later.
Is there a setting I’m missing here?
Example: currently in Underwood IN on way to Lemont, IL. When click “remove all charging stops” ETA is 3:03pm. With charging stops (2 totaling 45 min) ETA IS 3:30pm.

Any thoughts??

Solution
If the ETA is correct then it is functioning properly given conditions. I'm not sure I get what you are asking? The trip you mentioned is a distance of 285 miles. To do that with no charging stops means you will need an LR for starters (you may have this?) and you will have to go slower (although I think 285 miles is REALLY stretching it with 4 people and luggage in the car!). So, if you have chosen to charge twice on the way you will be able to go faster so even adding your 2 charging stops (+45 minutes) you will arrive only 27 minutes later than not stopping to charge...maybe I am misunderstanding your question but that's what I can make of it!
We did stay 75mph or lower on our last leg and stayed true to the ETA which was...
If the ETA is correct then it is functioning properly given conditions. I'm not sure I get what you are asking? The trip you mentioned is a distance of 285 miles. To do that with no charging stops means you will need an LR for starters (you may have this?) and you will have to go slower (although I think 285 miles is REALLY stretching it with 4 people and luggage in the car!). So, if you have chosen to charge twice on the way you will be able to go faster so even adding your 2 charging stops (+45 minutes) you will arrive only 27 minutes later than not stopping to charge...maybe I am misunderstanding your question but that's what I can make of it!

Upvote 0

I think what they're asking is if the NAV is planning for the stops and how long they're supposed to stop for, why wouldn't it include that in the ETA. Good question honestly.

Upvote 0
What percentage is the nav asking you to charge to? If you’re charging higher in the pack (above 70-80%), your charging times are going to be long. It can be faster to make more charging stops (if the chargers are right off your main route) and not charge as high %. You might also look at Tesla.com/findus and choose your own superchargers, picking all the 250kw you can find on the route to make sure the charge rate is higher at the start. Try to arrive at a supercharger with less than 20% left to pull higher kw in the beginning. I’ve taken over 20k miles of road trips in my 2019 M3LR and prefer the charge lower and more often method. I tend to arrive with 10-20% charge and leave when the charge rate drops below 100kw, unless there isn’t a charger in range. If you’re choosing your own superchargers, make sure to put them into navigation when you’re heading out from the current charge to make sure the car is preconditioning.

I’d also recommend using the A Better Route Planner app to plan your trip. Advanced settings allows you to input extra weight (passengers and luggage) to make sure you’re planning for enough charge to get to the next charger. I usually put in the superchargers I want to stop at when I’m setting up a trip so I know I will stop at all the 250kw on the way (and any charger that has amenities I like).

Upvote 0
This is the charge rate you can expect from a 2019 LR on a preconditioned battery at a 250kw charger (black line):
E7E9A7D8-E286-46F6-939E-BF9B65E4F952.png

Upvote 0
What percentage is the nav asking you to charge to? If you’re charging higher in the pack (above 70-80%), your charging times are going to be long. It can be faster to make more charging stops (if the chargers are right off your main route) and not charge as high %. You might also look at Tesla.com/findus and choose your own superchargers, picking all the 250kw you can find on the route to make sure the charge rate is higher at the start. Try to arrive at a supercharger with less than 20% left to pull higher kw in the beginning. I’ve taken over 20k miles of road trips in my 2019 M3LR and prefer the charge lower and more often method. I tend to arrive with 10-20% charge and leave when the charge rate drops below 100kw, unless there isn’t a charger in range. If you’re choosing your own superchargers, make sure to put them into navigation when you’re heading out from the current charge to make sure the car is preconditioning.

I’d also recommend using the A Better Route Planner app to plan your trip. Advanced settings allows you to input extra weight (passengers and luggage) to make sure you’re planning for enough charge to get to the next charger. I usually put in the superchargers I want to stop at when I’m setting up a trip so I know I will stop at all the 250kw on the way (and any charger that has amenities I like).
We followed what tesla navigated-it almost always got us to the next charger at 20%.
We did try abetterrouteplanner and that was accurate all the way through. My main problem was that the ETA would be one thing and then change dramatically after a stop even though we weren’t wasting time.

Upvote 0
We did stay 75mph or lower on our last leg and stayed true to the ETA which was even faster, so maybe my inefficient driving cost more time than it was worth, and maybe the car navigated based on more efficient driving? This was helpful though, thank you!

Upvote 0
Solution
Traffic conditions change all the time. It may be the case that it only use real-time conditions to the next stop and so it adjusts when you start a new leg - but in any case, the longer the trip the wider the actual range of expected arrival time even when using real-time conditions and it would be silly to expect precision (it is impossible to provide it).

Upvote 0
Hello,

I’m road-tripping from Illinois to Florida-4 people in 2019 model 3 with FSD and most recent update.
EDIT: 2018*** Model 3, not 2019.
I’m finding that Tesla will route to destination, including superchargers and give time estimates all as usual-but even when we stop/charge/go without wasted time the ETA goes up a half hour! The ETA ends up being correct of course, but it’s frustrating that we routed the night before and are now finding out that we’ll be there much later.
Is there a setting I’m missing here?
Example: currently in Underwood IN on way to Lemont, IL. When click “remove all charging stops” ETA is 3:03pm. With charging stops (2 totaling 45 min) ETA IS 3:30pm.

Any thoughts??

Upvote 0