TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ethanol vs Battery

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Oct 20, 2009.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. edo

edo Member

#2 edo, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    100% coal grid, constant gas prices, lowballing Tesla's mi/kWh...

of course, what can we expect from someone who puts a acute accent on the 'e' in C.A.F.E. :wink:

"unbiased" Biofuels Digest my ...

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I just noticed now they added battery cost in. The Volt is aiming for 150k mile durability for its battery so it wouldn't need a battery replacement. And it has a much smaller battery so it shouldn't cost the same. I guess they missed that.

And obviously they didn't mention you can still keep using the battery after the rated life cycle, it'll just have less capacity.

I guess with plug-ins now in the spot light and getting a lot of funding, we should get ready for more and more people to attack it (I believe they only started this study because they felt they were getting shafted in terms of development money, saying biofuels only got $20k).

Report: Energy Secretary Chu Thinks Every Cent Should Go to Electric Cars [Updated] : Gas 2.0

It's funny they are complaining biofuels don't get enough funding when ethanol gets billions of dollars of subsidies every year.

Also they don't seem to realize even though loans were approved for companies like Tesla, that doesn't mean they got the money yet (as we know so far).

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

5. edo

edo Member

The way these conflicting studies came out makes me think the biofuels people knew this latest report was coming and wanted to release some alternative data (read "smokescreen")

6. edo

edo Member