Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ethanol vs Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Does a corn-ethanol vehicle beat the Tesla Roadster in lifetime CO2 emissions? — Autoblog Green
Over the vehicles' lifetimes (of 145,000 miles), Biofuels Digest says, the E85 vehicle creates 30 percent fewer CO2 emissions, and the Roadster will even put out 21 percent more CO2 than a car that uses straight gasoline...

screen-shot-2009-10-16-at-10.42.50-amb.png

100% coal grid, constant gas prices, lowballing Tesla's mi/kWh...

of course, what can we expect from someone who puts a acute accent on the 'e' in C.A.F.E. :wink:

"unbiased" Biofuels Digest my ...

Last edited:

I just noticed now they added battery cost in. The Volt is aiming for 150k mile durability for its battery so it wouldn't need a battery replacement. And it has a much smaller battery so it shouldn't cost the same. I guess they missed that.

And obviously they didn't mention you can still keep using the battery after the rated life cycle, it'll just have less capacity.

I guess with plug-ins now in the spot light and getting a lot of funding, we should get ready for more and more people to attack it (I believe they only started this study because they felt they were getting shafted in terms of development money, saying biofuels only got $20k).

Report: Energy Secretary Chu Thinks Every Cent Should Go to Electric Cars [Updated] : Gas 2.0

It's funny they are complaining biofuels don't get enough funding when ethanol gets billions of dollars of subsidies every year.

Also they don't seem to realize even though loans were approved for companies like Tesla, that doesn't mean they got the money yet (as we know so far).