Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ethernet with SolarEdge Inverters + Powerwalls + Gateway v2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an install with 2 SolarEdge inverters (no-LCD, SetApp), 3 Powerwalls, and a TEG v2. I also have the little black box that Tesla asked me to connect to ethernet, and a SolarEdge installer account. Everything was generally working OK, but I kept losing connectivity via WiFi; bad location in the garage for inverters and TEG etc. The TEG was sending data via cellular most of the time, which prevented me from monitoring things locally. A few weekends ago I decided to wire everything up via ethernet. Got everything connected.

But now I'm in a situation where I see full data in the Tesla app -- solar production, consumption, etc.; so I know the TEGv2 is communicating fine via ethernet. However, I see no data in SolarEdge monitoring now, and Tesla is occasionally sending me notices that the system lost communication. If I connect to the inverters, I see that they are both connected via Ethernet and have S_OK status. They both also have a Zigbee P2P Follower connection (which was all they had originally; I may have tried to get them on wifi at some point but that wasn't stable at all). I can get modbus data over TCP as well.

Thinking that maybe the black box was sending data back to SolarEdge but the inverters were choosing Ethernet instead of Zigbee and that data was somehow being prioritized by SolarEdge, I unplugged it. And... nothing changed. I still have full data in the Tesla app, and no data in SolarEdge, and.. the inverters are still saying Zigbee connected.

So. Are the inverters actually communicating via Zigbee to something in the TEGv2? What is the purpose of the black box? And.. any ideas why I don't have data in SolarEdge monitoring? (I just did this in the past hour, so maybe it's going to take some time for data to start coming in to SolarEdge?)

Actually, this is maybe something else -- I see my SolarEdge data got wonky and eventually stopped entirely at a point when Tesla replaced a failed inverter a little while ago. So that might be unrelated, but then I'm still not sure why I'm getting the notices from Tesla that my system stopped communicating.

Actually, this is maybe something else -- I see my SolarEdge data got wonky and eventually stopped entirely at a point when Tesla replaced a failed inverter a little while ago. So that might be unrelated, but then I'm still not sure why I'm getting the notices from Tesla that my system stopped communicating.
When my inverter failed and was replaced it also was not getting data to the app. I had to call Tesla Energy Support and they reprogrammed something on their end so that data flowed through the little black zigbee box to Tesla again from the new inverter.

Side note, also learned that if you are also using the SolarEdge app and the little black zigbee box from Tesla, the data comes from the inverter to the zigbee box, then sent to Teslas servers, and finally Tesla then sends that data on to SolarEdge as well from their servers. The black zigbee only connects to Tesla. I also had an issue where the new inverter data showed in the Tesla app and not the SolarEdge app, again Tesla had to change something on their server side. My guess is both times they had to update a field to my new inverter ID or something similar.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder