Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

etiquette when one's car has been written off and sold at auction by insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was written off by my insurance company and sold at auction. I just received an unexpected email from someone who says they are the new owner. They said they can't get the car off the tow truck. It sounds like they are very green and inexperienced at dealing with Teslas.
He said he wasn't given any key cards from the auction house. Do I have any responsibility to help him, remove the car from my account (it's still there in my Tesla account), inform Tesla?
On one hand I want to help a guy out.. on the other hand I am bummed I lost my car.

Update, I just called him and he said all my personal info was still in the car even though I made sure to do a factory reset (according to Tesla guidelines) which is a bit disturbing. This is how he got my email address. I wonder why the car keeps this info, maybe for this very reason?
I said I would try the "remote start" from my app and see if that helps.
I don't know if the guy knows what he is letting himself in for, maybe watching too many Rich Rebuilds episodes. The frame is bent at the rear which was the reason the the write off.

Reactions: rotarypower101
It's actually kind of weird. I decided to be the good Tesla guy and help him out. I was able to start the car remotely for him so he could roll it. I noticed it was playing my music (no way you'd guy would be playing an obscure English Colombian salsa/dance music band). The location though said it was at tesla hq and I am fairly sure the guy didn't just have it towed to Tesla hq. I asked him if he has watched a lot of rich rebuilds.. wish him all the best.

You dont have any obligation whatsoever, but I also think its troubling that your information was still in it even after you stated you factory reset the car. I think I would have probably done what you did though, even without obligation to do so, under the "good karma" etiquette clause" so to speak. That is, as long as the person was not a jerk or something, which doesnt sound like the case.

Reactions: angelman