Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU finalize and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, I thought Model S/X are way too wide for roads in Portugal/Spain etc. Hope that it isn't an issue.

Well, the roads here are mainly the same size than in other European countries, so no problem (after all, an important part of our national debt come from the fact that we have invest a lot in roads in the last 25 years). The size of Tesla cars may be a problem in cities...like in almost every other European cities.

Con
@Sousagil90D Great news! My car is delivered today and will start the license plates and registration process which should take 1 to 2 weeks! Boa sorte e espero encontrá-lo pelas estradas de Portugal !
Congrats for you both. Happy to see more and more Tesla here. As you bought your car directly from Tesla, I would like to know what documentation you had to bring to Tilburg to be able to take the car from there to Portugal (did you make a temporally insurance in Netherlands or bring one from Portugal to make the journey between Tilburg and here?), and what the documentation you have to present to the Portuguese authorities to register the car here. Do you pay the VAT here in Portugal or in Netherlands?

@Atlantis : I bought it directly with Tesla. Actually I did a test-drive in Berlin and then ordered online. Since the beginning of 2016 Tesla Tilburg doesn't allow you to pick-up and drive. You need to arrange a transport to Portugal. I did choose "RodoCargo" which is extremely professional and are used to bring Tesla's to Portugal (took just 5 days). You need the CoC (Certificate of Conformity), the original Invoice from Tesla, the CMR (the transport document) and the transport invoice.(all come inside the car).
There are 2 oficial entities you need to "visit": Customs (paying VAT) and IMTT (registration and license plates)
I suggest that you hire a professional to handle all of this.
In 2017 Tesla will be opening an office/shop/service center in Portugal so the process should be simpler by then.
Nevertheless it's all worth it ! The car is amazing!

Congrats, How do you guys buy Tesla in Portugal?? Get it from a third-party import car dealer?? I would expect a huge mark up of price for them to do that for you?
As everyone else: www.tesla.com (and choosing "other EU" as the country)
You can also order via a third-party trader that handles all the transport/registration issues and also offers leasing options... Not a huge markup...But the leasing rates are astronomical !!

Also, I thought Model S/X are way too wide for roads in Portugal/Spain etc. Hope that it isn't an issue.
o_Oo_O Ha ha ha... That made me laugh! No problem at all. We just need to move all the horses and cows that "drive" in our roads :D:D:D

Last edited:
Well, the roads here are mainly the same size than in other European countries, so no problem (after all, an important part of our national debt come from the fact that we have invest a lot in roads in the last 25 years). The size of Tesla cars may be a problem in cities...like in almost every other European cities.
Yea, that's what I mean, in the city. Cities in France, Spain, Portugal, and Italy are dominated by very small cars in the cities. Parking the car in a parking garage in the city could be a problem as well since Model S and X is just way too large.

As everyone else: www.tesla.com (and choosing "other EU" as the country)
You can also order via a third-party trader that handles all the transport/registration issues and also offers leasing options... Not a huge markup...But the leasing rates are astronomical !!

o_Oo_O Ha ha ha... That made me laugh! No problem at all. We just need to move all the horses and cows that "drive" in our roads :D:D:D
So for people in Portugal and Spain, you can just order it at tesla.com, and Tesla will deliver the car to your house in Portugal/Spain (on a truck)?? So that means without a sales center at all in these countries doesn't really affect selling the car.

Yea, that's what I mean, in the city. Cities in France, Spain, Portugal, and Italy are dominated by very small cars in the cities. Parking the car in a parking garage in the city could be a problem as well since Model S and X is just way too large.
The X and S are decent sized cars but its not like we are talking Chevy Tahoe sized beasts.
I have been in some pretty cramped parking garages in DC and New York.

So for people in Portugal and Spain, you can just order it at tesla.com, and Tesla will deliver the car to your house in Portugal/Spain (on a truck)?? So that means without a sales center at all in these countries doesn't really affect selling the car.
Tesla delivers the cars in Tilburg (Netherlands) where they have their European final assembly plant. From there it's each buyers responsability to arrange a transport to their country.
But this will soon change as Tesla just named a General Manager for Tesla Spain and Portugal...so hopefully they will soon open the sales and service centres around here.:)

My itinerary for next week:

Sunday, 09.10.16 Fly with my son to Oslo then to Stavanger in Norway;
Monday 10.10.16 Pick up our new S75 in Stavanger Tesla Store;
Tuesday 11.10.16 Drive with the Model S from Stavanger to Oslo via Kristiansand (Supercharging along the way);
Wednesday 12.10.16 Meet with friend in Oslo to sign some documents and enjoy a fjord trip (first time in Norway for both me and my son);
Thursday 13.10.16 One day road trip to Gothenburg in Sweden and back to Oslo.
Friday 14.10.16 Drop off the car to the shipping agent for shipping to Abu Dhabi, then fly back home.

Reactions: ggnykk
Tesla delivers the cars in Tilburg (Netherlands) where they have their European final assembly plant. From there it's each buyers responsability to arrange a transport to their country.
But this will soon change as Tesla just named a General Manager for Tesla Spain and Portugal...so hopefully they will soon open the sales and service centres around here.:)
that's good to know.

Reactions: gmorales
Hey All

Thought I'd post a quick message. Picked up my S75 last week, and so far, wow. Absolutely fantastic. Done over 600 miles in it already!
Two things that happened to me - I noticed the chrome strips along the bottom of the drivers door window were misaligned, and also some of the ceiling fabric was not flush with the pillar. One rectified on the spot, the other going to be sorted next week. Great service from the staff.

Enjoy yours, and don't forget to go over every millimetre of the car when you pick it up.

Ed

Actually you're right if we think in some historical spots in our cities. But that is troublesome for a 5-Series BMW too. Since we're not talking about some US truck, I think my fellow countrymen will be ok. :)

Btw: here's an X in our main highway (A1)
IMG_5009.JPG

Glad to find so many portuguese drivers here!

I was looking for some answers about the process to import the car from the Netherlands to Portugal for long and finally found this post.
I would like to thank you all for the information and I would like to ask you @gmorales another question.

I'm interested in buying a Model 3 when it becomes available and I would like to know how much did it cost for the shipping, VAT and registration and license plates. Can you give us an estimate? I know it won't be the same in 2 years or so but it would help me decide if I should order a Model 3 or not, knowing how much it will add to the base cost of the car.
Also, do you know if there are any tax exemptions for electric vehicles in Portugal?

Thanks in advance,
Congrats on your Teslas!

I was looking for some answers about the process to import the car from the Netherlands to Portugal for long and finally found this post.
I would like to thank you all for the information and I would like to ask you @gmorales another question.

I'm interested in buying a Model 3 when it becomes available and I would like to know how much did it cost for the shipping, VAT and registration and license plates. Can you give us an estimate? I know it won't be the same in 2 years or so but it would help me decide if I should order a Model 3 or not, knowing how much it will add to the base cost of the car.
Also, do you know if there are any tax exemptions for electric vehicles in Portugal?

Thanks in advance,
Congrats on your Teslas!

I'm kinda of on the same bandwagon.

Actually I would like to know why ordering from Zeev is frown upon... In my contacts with them, they were nothing short of great ambassadors for EVs and Tesla in particular. They even let me test-drive a MS P85D when I said clearly that I don't have that kind of money to spend on a car.

Disclaimer: I'm in now way associated with Zeev besides being a potencial client.

Thanks in advance,
Congrats on your Teslas!

Olá @JoaoD ,

For the model 3 you don't need to make those calculations because by then Tesla will have it's own sales office in Portugal. For your information they have just nominated a General Manager for Portugal and Spain (Jorge Milburn) and he has already started recruting for the sales offices in Barcelona and Madrid to open end of 2016/beginning of 2017.
Portugal will follow shortly.
So when model 3 is out in Portugal, you will order directly with Tesla as I did today, but they will deliver the car at the Portuguese service center with all the paperworks/license plates taken care of.

But I can tell you the costs I had with my Tesla Model S 75D:
- transport from Tilburg to Lisboa/Portugal: Eur950+VAT
- paperworks/license plates/registration: ~Eur 500,- (including VAT)
- VAT is 23% on the Tesla invoice

Tax exemptions in Portugal are:
- For private persons: ISV=0% ; IUC = 0% ;
- For companies: all the above, plus "Tributação Autonoma = 0%" (which is a BIG deal). VAT can be deductible in case the car costs under Eur62500,-. (which is not the case for the model S but can be with the model 3)

Hope this helps !!

Send me a PM if you want any more details!

Reactions: JoaoD
I'm kinda of on the same bandwagon.

Actually I would like to know why ordering from Zeev is frown upon... In my contacts with them, they were nothing short of great ambassadors for EVs and Tesla in particular. They even let me test-drive a MS P85D when I said clearly that I don't have that kind of money to spend on a car.

Disclaimer: I'm in now way associated with Zeev besides being a potencial client.

Olá @andrerodpt ,

I choose to order directly with Tesla.
Although you are correct as they are great ambassadors for EV's in general, my interaction with Zeev was not completely satisfying:
- they kept pushing the 90D because of the greater autonomy (although I cannot justify the ~+50km for +Eur11.000,-)
- they didn't help me in the tax/benefits calculations
- the knowledge of the sales person I had was very very low compared to what I was expecting.

I hope that my earlier post clarified some of your other questions, and as I said earlier, Tesla will be opening it's own sales office and service center (and SuperChargers) in Portugal during 2017, so all those bureaucratic steps that we now need to take, will not be required in late 2017.

Hope this helps !

Olá @JoaoD ,

For the model 3 you don't need to make those calculations because by then Tesla will have it's own sales office in Portugal. For your information they have just nominated a General Manager for Portugal and Spain (Jorge Milburn) and he has already started recruting for the sales offices in Barcelona and Madrid to open end of 2016/beginning of 2017.
Portugal will follow shortly.
So when model 3 is out in Portugal, you will order directly with Tesla as I did today, but they will deliver the car at the Portuguese service center with all the paperworks/license plates taken care of.

But I can tell you the costs I had with my Tesla Model S 75D:
- transport from Tilburg to Lisboa/Portugal: Eur950+VAT
- paperworks/license plates/registration: ~Eur 500,- (including VAT)
- VAT is 23% on the Tesla invoice

Tax exemptions in Portugal are:
- For private persons: ISV=0% ; IUC = 0% ;
- For companies: all the above, plus "Tributação Autonoma = 0%" (which is a BIG deal). VAT can be deductible in case the car costs under Eur62500,-. (which is not the case for the model S but can be with the model 3)

Hope this helps !!

Send me a PM if you want any more details!
Thanks so much for your insight.
That should answer all my questions.
I did not know about the new service centers, I looked the map in Tesla website and it has some new infrastructures planned for Spain but not any for Portugal in this moment. But having a service center or a repair center in Portugal would make feel much more confident owning a Tesla :)

Obrigado e um bom dia!

Thanks in advance,
Congrats on your Teslas!
Very sure that Tesla will have retail shop and service centers in Spain and Portugal when Model 3 is out.