Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU finalize and deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why don't use a ferry? As far as I know, there are Ferrys vom Kiel or Warnemünde to Helsinki and Stockholm.

When I went from Switzerland to Norway and back, I used the Kiel - Oslo Ferry Service, which saved me about 1600km of driving.

Tesla's Oslo shop is outside the EU and gets cars straight from the Tesla factory in Fremont. EU cars are sent via Tilburg for final assembly in the EU. Since Åland is in the EU, you probably need an EU car, which would probably have to be delivered from a Tesla shop inside the EU, which would be Copenhagen. Or Stockholm, eventually, as Tesla seems to be lighting up operations in Sweden now, and hiring Swedish staff.

Has any swedes gotten their Teslas delivered from the Oslo shop at all?

As I understand it, at least some of the swedes will have their cars delivered to their homes. There seems to a swedish DS/sales person in Stockholm now, but not yet a store. Stores Service Centers | Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't use a ferry? As far as I know, there are Ferrys vom Kiel or Warnemünde to Helsinki and Stockholm.

When I went from Switzerland to Norway and back, I used the Kiel - Oslo Ferry Service, which saved me about 1600km of driving.

Well it is a 12 hour drive to Rostock (6 + 6 hrs charging), a 27 hour ferry Rostock-Helsinki, and from there I have a 11 hour ferry home to Mariehamn... If all these means of transport are in sync, I would make the pick up in 3 days. Cost would probably be 1-2 KEUR.

Pickup from Copenhagen could be done in a day and cost 200 EUR. Spot the difference.

As I understand it, at least some of the swedes will have their cars delivered to their homes. There seems to a swedish DS/sales person in Stockholm now, but not yet a store. Stores Service Centers | Tesla Motors
Didn’t know that. Do they have to pay extra to get the car delivered to their homes?

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla's Oslo shop is outside the EU and gets cars straight from the Tesla factory in Fremont. EU cars are sent via Tilburg for final assembly in the EU. Since Åland is in the EU, you probably need an EU car, which would probably have to be delivered from a Tesla shop inside the EU, which would be Copenhagen. Or Stockholm, eventually, as Tesla seems to be lighting up operations in Sweden now, and hiring Swedish staff.

Has any swedes gotten their Teslas delivered from the Oslo shop at all?
Didn’t know that (either). I guess I don’t really know, but don’t we (as in the EU) have trade agreements with Norway?

Edit: (Or do the trade agreements between the US and Norway differ from those between the US and the EU?)

Last edited:
Well I'm in somewhat similar situation. If I pick up from Tilburg I'd have to either drive ~2700km to Tallinn or take the ferry from Rostock to Helsinki and then from Helsinki to Tallinn. However if they would agree to just deliver the car to Stockholm (by January there'll be a shop), then it's just one ferry I have to take from Stockholm to Tallinn requiring no charging or anything :) I guess I'll try to negotiate it with them once I get closer to actually being able to get the car ;)

Didn’t know that (either). I guess I don’t really know, but don’t we (as in the EU) have trade agreements with Norway?

Edit: (Or do the trade agreements between the US and Norway differ from those between the US and the EU?)

In Norway there are no tax or VAT on electric cars, no matter where the car is originating from.

In the EU (or parts of the EU, I don't know) there is a tax on cars not assembled in the EU. Tesla half bakes cars for the EU market in their US factory in Fremont and does the final assembly of the battery of the car (which is a major portion of the the cost the car) in Tilbur, NL in order for the papers for the car to say that it is "assembled in the EU".

The car is the same. But the origin of the car in the car's papers is different.

For a swede it may be more costly to import a used Model S assembled in the USA from Norway, compared to importing a similar Model S assembled in the EU from say Denmark.

Last edited:
In Norway there are no tax or VAT on electric cars, no matter where the car is originating from.

In the EU (or parts of the EU, I don't know) there is a tax on cars not assembled in the EU. Tesla half bakes cars in their US factory in Fremont and does the final assembly of the battery of the car (which is a major portion of the the cost the car) in Tilbur, NL in order for the papers for the car to say that it is "assembled in the EU".

The car is the same. But the origin of the car in the car's papers is different.

For a swede it may be more costly to import a used Model S assembled in the USA from Norway, compared to importing a similar Model S assembled in the EU from say Denmark.

The import tariff for a car in the EU is 10%. For car parts the tariff is lower (I'm not sure exactly how much). So Tesla is importing the most expensive parts (battery, electric motor) separately, saving import duties. The parts are then mounted on the cars in Tilburg.

In the EU (or parts of the EU, I don't know) there is a tax on cars not assembled in the EU. Tesla half bakes cars for the EU market in their US factory in Fremont and does the final assembly of the battery of the car (which is a major portion of the the cost the car) in Tilbur, NL in order for the papers for the car to say that it is "assembled in the EU".

Ok. And Hasse lives in Finland (Åland) which is part of the “Other Europe” region.

So as I understand it the following fine print applies:
fine_print_EU.png

Source: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors (Other Europe)

…which differs from the fine print on the Swedish site:
fine_print_SWE.png

Source: Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors (Sweden)

This text does however not say anything about Tesla being able to change the pickup location, but I guess there can be additional conditions that have stipulated that such changes might take place at the time Hasse signed various documentation during his purchasing process.

But it ought to at least be possible to negotiate and agree on pickup in Copenhagen for a fee (or in Stockholm for a perhaps larger fee).

Last edited:
EU P486 was delivered today! It was the first day of deliveries in Austria. I have got my beautiful beautiful Model S today.
I planed everything in detail for this big day, but I was so super excited that I forgot my camera. Now I only have crappy phone camera pics. I just count on your understanding. My whole body was shaking when I drove of for the first time though I testdrove it two times. Everything is so amazing in this car. I would never have spent more than 5 to 6 percent of the money on ANY car. But then there came the Model S.
Yet there are so many things I still don't know about the car. I guess I always took it for granted. I.e. I don't even know how to turn on the wind shield wipers manually. How do I find charging stations in Austria. All interfaces are in english though the language settings are german (deutsch). Is this normal? I have to read the whole manual this night. I have to learn so much more about the car.
2013-09-20 15.46.35.jpg
2013-09-20 15.47.36.jpg
2013-09-20 15.48.03.jpg
2013-09-20 15.48.16.jpg