Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU M3P in US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3P was built Nov 20, EU spec made in California. I’m looking at options to move back to the US at some point in the future. Does anyone have experience with this? I understand from Google that adaptors exist for charging, but I’m looking for a longer term solution like swapping out the charging port on the vehicle in order to not need adaptors, and replacing the LTE chip/map data. I’m thinking someone out there that deals with Tesla customization might be able to help, but any suggestion is welcome!

I can always sell the car and rebuy, but I’m trying to avoid that if possible. Cheers from Germany, your friendly neighborhood expat.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I concur, sell and buy a new one in the US. I seriously doubt if Tesla would be willing to convert the car to US spec and if you had someone else do it they won't let you Supercharge. I also doubt an adapter is available. In Europe Tesla converted from the Tesla connector to CCS2 because they were forced to by the EU. To make the Model S compatible with CCS2 chargers they created an adapter that went from cars with Tesla connectors to chargers with CCS2 connectors. There has be absolutely no reason to create an adapter that goes in the opposite direction. They are going to create a CCS1 to Tesla charger adapter to allow non-Tesla's to use Superchargers but that's CCS1 not CCS2, the connectors are different.

Upvote 0
My 3P was built Nov 20, EU spec made in California. I’m looking at options to move back to the US at some point in the future. Does anyone have experience with this? I understand from Google that adaptors exist for charging, but I’m looking for a longer term solution like swapping out the charging port on the vehicle in order to not need adaptors, and replacing the LTE chip/map data. I’m thinking someone out there that deals with Tesla customization might be able to help, but any suggestion is welcome!

I can always sell the car and rebuy, but I’m trying to avoid that if possible. Cheers from Germany, your friendly neighborhood expat.

People have asked about the reverse here (moving a US tesla to EU) a few different times, and the general answer is always the same, which is "you may not want to sell and rebuy in EU, but that is the absolute Best option." The reverse is also true.

These are not classic cars where you cant find them or something, that would make it worth jumping through a bunch of hoops to re buy the one that was built to be in the country you are going to. You can probably accomplish it, eventually, but it will end up being way more aggravation, and cost, to try to move that car here. Couple that with the fact that its a "connected" car and its not "supposed" to be here, and its a recipe for frustration and aggravation, when seemingly mundane things may or may not work, like navigation, or getting the appropriate charging port installed, etc.

Upvote 0