Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good stuff. One tale of caution. The Norwegian registrations as counted by itanywhere also include cars registered for inventory. This was easy to verify when they still published full VIN numbers. While I would assume most of what they register these days are actually customer cars, there is a possibility there is a sizeable amount of inventory registered too. Impossible to know for now.

I've got all the registered Vins captured up until the date they stopped doing that (by the web author who presumably just wants to keep the data private but has access for himself). Do you or anyone else know where the real site of that data is? I'm sure if he pulled it from public sites, that it should be available to all of us. I will look for Web presentation of these Vin #s in October. That would mean the registered numbers would pop up on sites like ev-cpo.com (pulled from the Tesla new inventory pages).

The big question, which we will probably learn next monday, is whether the rest of Europe is on the same schedule to deliver all of the Model X backlog this month as well.

The biggest European Tesla country other than Norway is GB, and as there are no right hand drive Xs yet they are not part of the party. Same for Hong Kong in the rest of the world. On the other hand, this way Tesla has some 'initial delivery demand' left over for Q4.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
I believe it must be from vegvesen.no but I don't know how the API would work or if there is a description in English or anything.
The ones who are logging EV registrations have just written a script to try every plate number. All BEVs receive a licence plate starting with EL or EK, where almost every plate starting with EL is taken. Each series covers 90,000 licence plates, as 00000-09999 isn't used.

I'm sure they keep a database with all the licence plates that are taken, that way the script can skip those, limiting the number of searches to around 80,000 each time you want a complete picture. (Around 100,000 BEVs registered thus far.)

The ones who are logging EV registrations have just written a script to try every plate number. All BEVs receive a licence plate starting with EL or EK, where almost every plate starting with EL is taken. Each series covers 90,000 licence plates, as 00000-09999 isn't used.

I'm sure they keep a database with all the licence plates that are taken, that way the script can skip those, limiting the number of searches to around 80,000 each time you want a complete picture. (Around 100,000 BEVs registered thus far.)

Interesting, wonder how they got around the captcha.

Now that they don´t have the individual car data any more, I updated from the totals posted here (only S+X sum and weekend is missing) - looking good for 900 now!

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 20.26.21.png

Reactions: ggnykk
You could look here: Tesla Registration Stats ;)

(Doesn't cover everything, but it does cover some of the cars.)

Yeah - but it does only have the data for today, cannot look up anywhere how many cars were registered in the previous days when they had the individual registration data including the date for all of the current month. (When I saw your link for a moment I though you were talking about our wiki and I that I wasn´t up to date on all the magic @Troy made happen there :) )

I believe Model X is only expected early 2017 in the UK. Also UK related, picked up from the grapevine : sales staff is warning buyers to put down a deposit ASAP because there will be a price hike of approx 15% come Oct 1st.

Yes Oct 01st 15% increase due to $ v £, lots of UK inventory all sold to beat the rise, but Tesla has lowed done a lot due to this increase.

Base 60 is now about £60K+ up about £8K, MX is £70K+ now base model no extras. This has priced Tesla out for most new buyers, used stock will sell at old pricing I was told. Tesla in UK is not going well now all inventory has gone to beat price rise.

But you never know Oct will tell us more once new inventory come online and prices have been announced, but it doesn't look too good.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h
Yes Oct 01st 15% increase due to $ v £, lots of UK inventory all sold to beat the rise, but Tesla has lowed done a lot due to this increase.

Base 60 is now about £60K+ up about £8K, MX is £70K+ now base model no extras. This has priced Tesla out for most new buyers, used stock will sell at old pricing I was told. Tesla in UK is not going well now all inventory has gone to beat price rise.

But you never know Oct will tell us more once new inventory come online and prices have been announced, but it doesn't look too good.

Just out of curiosity, the price increase is because US$ v £ exchange rate decline post Brexit. However when Tesla UK purchase from Tesla US they are losing on the exchange (hence the price increase), but when the revenues are repatriated to the US, aren't they then gaining from the same exchange rate? In effect zero sum game.

Apart from this, I think the current prices are at the top end of what the car is worth (in my opinion) in comparison to other similar executive cars even when you take into account BIK, Capital tax allowance. I wonder whether Tesla will see same sales as before the increase or whether we will see discounting to move stock, especially at the end of Q4

Not sure about this - wouldn´t it be better to deliver not quite all of a lot more cars than all of a lot less ;)?!

Well you're adding another variable (# cars) in addition to timing. For a given batch, it would be nice to see the cars arrive soon enough they can all be comfortably delivered. If the boat comes late and some cars fall into the next Q that's usually a bad thing, but yes if the delay was because they were stuffing way more cars on the boat then that could offset this.

A lot of Europeans are expecting delivery tomorrow, which is cutting things pretty tight. On the other hand, about 2x as many cars were delivered on the 27th compared with the 28th, so maybe they're getting it done.

According to a post by Elektrinfizierter in the TFF forums, the service center near Munich delivered 45 cars on a single day (Thursday):
Rabattschlacht eröffnet ? • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

I expect great Q3/september numbers :)

Wow, 45 in a single Tesla location?! The TFF post sounds like it. 123 on the 29th was the best day in Norway for all locations together! Doesn´t have to mean anything, but interesting none the less. Might be a new record month for Germany though. Current best is 267 in March (Norway had 487 in the same month).

Last edited: