Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's mostly supercharging. Probably also some 5 Seater Model X and some AP2.

I fail to see the corporate benefits. In Germany there isn't anything you could not already get for a long time.

Really looks more like a overview website for people who type "Tesla Firmenwagen" into google to be at the first spot and at at least give the impression like they offer something special, but there isn't anything like fleet discounts etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: mmd
I think it's mostly supercharging. Probably also some 5 Seater Model X and some AP2.

I fail to see the corporate benefits. In Germany there isn't anything you could not already get for a long time.

Really looks more like a overview website for people who type "Tesla Firmenwagen" into google to be at the first spot and at at least give the impression like they offer something special, but there isn't anything like fleet discounts etc.
Thanks! Tesla won't show discounts on website portal, as Elon claims no discount policy. But they happen in every Tesla store nonetheless. Similar story could be here. Give us a call and w will figure out something :)

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
Did anyone actually see the number for GER in March? It´s 670 :eek:!!! For a total of 1023 for the quarter :).
For comparison: Best Q so far was Sep 2016 with 377 cars. 2016 total was 1908, so Q1 17 had more than half of 2016 total!!

Well, remember Germany is the highest-population country in Europe (not counting Russia and Turkey which are substantially Asian). And it's the largest by a LOT. 83 million vs. 67 million for France. So the low numbers in Germany in years before 2016 have been a total aberration -- Germany *should* be selling 1.2 times as many Teslas as France or the UK, just by population.

It looks like they're now actually selling as many as they should have been all along -- although now *the UK is even further ahead* for some reason. (Maybe because they speak English.)

This makes me wonder why *France* is falling behind on Tesla sales. I guess Renault is doing very well there? Italy and Spain can be explained by continuing economic disasters.

Last edited:
Well, remember Germany is the highest-population country in Europe (not counting Russia and Turkey which are substantially Asian). And it's the largest by a LOT. 83 million vs. 67 million for France. So the low numbers in Germany in years before 2016 have been a total aberration -- Germany *should* be selling 1.2 times as many Teslas as France or the UK, just by population.

It looks like they're now actually selling as many as they should have been all along -- although now *the UK is even further ahead* for some reason. (Maybe because they speak English.)

This makes me wonder why *France* is falling behind on Tesla sales. I guess Renault is doing very well there? Italy and Spain can be explained by continuing economic disasters.
No obvious 'Buy British' car company unlike Germany. Jag and Rover have been bought out several times by foreign countries, so us Brits have no patriotic leanings in that regard.

Reactions: neroden

Based on my personal French connections, I think the Model 3 is going to be a big success in France. Model S and X seem to be a tougher sell due to a combination of size/width (parking a Model S or X in Paris has to be a bit of a challenge) and price. This is admittedly an unscientific opinion backed only by anecdotal data. The French also seem to be very loyal/partial to Renault, Peugeot and Citroen which is a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden

The Renault Zoe is doing very well, especially the new 41kWh variant which supercharged sales in France. But it really isn't a competitor to the S/X. I would also caution with Germany's numbers. So far they delivered one good month. Let's wait to see if this can be repeated. With the demise of the 60 there are no fiscal incentives anymore for buying an EV of example.

So @Troy added in the last pieces of the puzzel for Q1. Am I crazy or is this this the best quarter ever for Europe (6600+), and in fact is March the best month ever (almost 4100)?

Declining S/X demand my a**!

I would never make such a definite conclusion on demand (one way or the other) based on one quarter (one month really). For example, April is nearly halfway in Norway and it is a lot worse than January so far (-75%). Doesn't mean demand is falling, it just means that you need to take a wider look to get a handle on trend lines.

Hi. The UK Tesla registration numbers for 2016, including Q4, were published yesterday on the gov.uk website here. I have updated the 2016 tables here with the final numbers. Tesla total for Q4 2016 was 601 units. Our estimate was 627 units. The error margin was 4.3%. That's not too bad.

The UK numbers are published with 3.5 months delay. We need to use estimates during this time. I think it's important to have accurate estimates because so far in 2017, the UK is the #1 country in Europe but of course, this is purely based on our estimates. We won't have any official UK numbers for 2017 until June.

Below the table shows the yearly numbers. 2016 Model S total was 2456 units. Model X was 42 units. %83.4 of registrations were dual motor versions. %63.0 were the largest battery version.

SKwmkHk.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if April still does fairly well. Remember they extend free supercharging to 15. January and delivery was April. In Germany they also advertised their last free Supercharging inventory cars (special lease deal for 50 cars), which can make a big impact on the first 2 months of a quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and mmd
Belgium reported 53 cars, down from 75 last quarter but up from 32 last year. Germany is at 197, up from 96 last year and 151 last quarter. Trend seems to continue : some up, some down. I am fairly confident we will end up somewhere between 1200 and 1400 which is pretty decent for a first month of the quarter performance. With a 60/40 split towards the S over the X.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Guys (and gals),

I added in a few more countries just now and updated Germany with the exact S/X split as per the official data. Someone please validate. France and Denmark are still left from the "normal" countries, and I hope someone can do UK preliminaries and "other".

BTW greetings from Japan! :)

Reactions: schonelucht
Great work, @mrdoubleb I approved all your submissions.

For the UK my calculation is as follow: other imports stands at 227 for April, last year we had 96 non-Tesla's in that group. Assuming the same, we get to 131 Tesla cars for April in the UK. @Troy can you confirm this after you've updated Redirecting (that's yours right)

We are still missing France and Denmark but we will not be far off from 580 Model S and 320 Model X. That compares with 891/551 last quarter and 738/0 last year.

Reactions: mrdoubleb
Great work, @mrdoubleb I approved all your submissions.

For the UK my calculation is as follow: other imports stands at 227 for April, last year we had 96 non-Tesla's in that group. Assuming the same, we get to 131 Tesla cars for April in the UK. @Troy can you confirm this after you've updated Redirecting (that's yours right)

We are still missing France and Denmark but we will not be far off from 580 Model S and 320 Model X. That compares with 891/551 last quarter and 738/0 last year.
Added in France and Denmark - timer well spent in the business lounge leaving Osaka. :p

Tip: for France, even when the data is not yet published in the statistics section of the site, they may already have the news article published which has charts showing vehicles delivered per make and model.

Reactions: schonelucht
A new month, a new round of registrations. As usual we start with the unofficial numbers for Norway which are good ; 88 Model S (compares with 56 last quarter and 156 last year) and 138 Model X (compares with 44 last quarter). Hopefully the rest of Europe is equally strong or better.

Month 3 is critical. When you compare "first two months of" the current vs. last two or three quarters, then it's not as good since April wasn't very good in Norway. Seems they had a big burst of registrations in March (maybe similar in nature to what happened in HK?)