Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Norway's top 15 cars for 2017:
  1. Volkswagen e-Golf, BEV
  2. BMW i3, BEV
  3. Toyota Rav 4, HEV
  4. Tesla Model X, BEV
  5. Mitsubishi Outlander, PHEV
  6. Toyota Yaris, HEV
  7. Tesla Model S, BEV
  8. Nissan Leaf, BEV
  9. Volkswagen Passat, PHEV
  10. Toyota Auris, HEV
  11. Toyota C-HR, HEV
  12. Mercedes-Benz GLC, PHEV
  13. Renault Zoe, BEV
  14. Volvo V90, diesel
  15. Volkswagen Golf, PHEV
First none-EV is at #14!

Shares of new car sales in 2017:
  • Diesel: 23,1%
  • Gasoline: 24,7%
  • HEV og PHEV: 31,3%
  • Zero-emision: 20,9%
Source: Ingen diesel- og bensinbiler på topp ti: – Ganske eksepsjonelt

Edit: And yes, here is the official numbers for Dec in Norway:

Tesla Model X 1,429 - just 100 short of the record deliveries of one model in one month of TMS in March 2015
Tesla Model S 1,026

Zero emission: 27,6%
HEV and PHEV: 30,8%

Source: Bilsalget i desember

Last edited:
Looking at the European registration numbers it appears that Tesla does well in Germanic Europe and does poorly in Latin Europe. In a nutshell more or less.

I take it in Belgium Tesla does better in Flanders than Wallonia?
Speaking with fellow Tesla drivers at the superchargers in Belgium it's pretty clear to them that income level is the major reason for the difference between Flanders and Wallonia. You can also see it in the usage data for the northern SC, most of them are very busy, while the ones further south are hardly used. At least that has been my personal experience the last 3 years.

Cobos

True. Reflected by the supercharger network in both regions (much denser in Flanders). May be partially explained by higher income level in Flanders and better EV fiscal&other incentives.
There are no big differences in fiscal advantages in Flanders compared to wallonia. BIV (tax on first use) is zero in flanders versus 61 euro in Wallonia, yearly road tax is zero in Flanders and 77 euro in Wallonia. These amounts are peanuts compared to the cost of a Tesla. All other taxes are the same since they are on the federal level.
The only main difference is that in Flanders there is a subsidy of a couple of thousand euros for private persons purchasing an EV, but most Tesla’s are company cars that don’t qualify for this.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Cool! Do you understand the symbols in the map, that is from my point of view - is Germany in the road trip?

Guess I have to join facebook after all to get all the info here :confused:...

I don't and assume the route is not yet fixed other than countries he would like to visit. Also as he will pass through countries I hope he will stop multiple times as he will need to anyway to charge.

As in the US SC could be a good meeting point. Looking forward to it to see my first Model 3 in person.

P.S. still not at Facebook and don't want to join but appreciate if you post infos....

It's that time of the month again! We have new EU numbers. Unfortunately, the submission form for data only allows 2017. @Troy or @hobbes is it possible to change this? Waiting for it I will list my findings here instead.

For Sweden 15 Model S and 4 Model X which is down yoy from 104 (total) and qoq from 53 (total). Norway is (unofficially) at 112 S + 103 X which is down yoy from 367 and qoq from 292. Most Norwegian deliveries were early in the year and 'spill over' from the massive shipments meant for end-of-year deliveries.

Based on these preliminary numbers and tracking of ship crossing + forum posts I suspect January to be quite weak. 1200 possibly with a very large margin of error. Second half of February will be a lot better. Of course, the inventories being sold down last year doesn't help.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: hobbes and Troy
I don't and assume the route is not yet fixed other than countries he would like to visit. Also as he will pass through countries I hope he will stop multiple times as he will need to anyway to charge.

Chademo is not yet working on his Model 3 which will create a challenge because...

As in the US SC could be a good meeting point. Looking forward to it to see my first Model 3 in person.

Supercharging will also not work, so may not work out for them.

And to make the challenge even bigger, Tesla is actively discouraging them to go

YouYou on facebook said:
A manager at Tesla met up with me and asked me "what can I do to make you not go to Europe", and outlined all the challenges that we would face on a European road trip.

Kudos on them for even trying!

Chademo is not yet working on his Model 3 which will create a challenge because...

Supercharging will also not work, so may not work out for them.

And to make the challenge even bigger, Tesla is actively discouraging them to go

Kudos on them for even trying!

Guess Tesla is back to anti-selling again... Enough orders already. I thought a while ago there were some Tesla employees driving around Europe and were spotted with a SC adapter. Would be nicer of Tesla to give it to You You instead of discouraging him...

Seems he has to use Type 2:

He told Electrek that he found a makeshift Type 2 to Tesla charging adapter that should work with his Model 3 for level 2 stations up to 40-amp, but it doesn’t work with DC fast-charging stations, like Tesla’s Superchargers.

Maybe a way to get him to your city is organize free charging/parking and/or accomodation. I might try :).

Overlooked a link to a google map with the updated intinerary in the electrek article. Looks like he has picked out some likely cities along the route and is validating them if there is demand.

• Helpful
Reactions: avoigt
63 X+S sales in Germany in January. That´s weak. I´ll wait for seperate numbers to be published before submitting to wiki.

Was 151 in Jan 2017. Attempts of explaining this (not Germany specific):

Demand based
  • Published end of free supercharging pulled demand ahead (as we know, it has now been extended after all)
  • Model 3 getting closer (but that shouldn´t have such a sudden effect)
Production based
  • Updated S/X ramping up
  • Rumored Christmas holiday (have seen it mentioned, but no definite source) - not sure if they had one last year
  • Resources needed for 3 production missing for S/X (unlikely IMHO)

What do you think?

63 X+S sales in Germany in January. That´s weak. I´ll wait for seperate numbers to be published before submitting to wiki.

Was 151 in Jan 2017. Attempts of explaining this (not Germany specific):

Demand based
  • Published end of free supercharging pulled demand ahead (as we know, it has now been extended after all)
  • Model 3 getting closer (but that shouldn´t have such a sudden effect)
Production based
  • Updated S/X ramping up
  • Rumored Christmas holiday (have seen it mentioned, but no definite source) - not sure if they had one last year
  • Resources needed for 3 production missing for S/X (unlikely IMHO)

What do you think?
Another explanation may be a change in the cadence of delivery because of Model 3 ramp. Tesla is planning on having significant more Model 3 deliveries in the US in March as production ramps. While the previously delivered Euro/Asia, then East Coast, then California (generally), they now would like significant US deliveries at the beginning of the quarter and European at the end of the quarter to free up US and especially California delivery for the Model 3.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: avoigt and hobbes
What do you think?

Europe is super weak this month. It gets even worse when the only decent numbers (from Norway) are actually due to early year deliveries that were likely meant for 2017 instead. Since about two weeks deliveries there fell of a cliff too. I still suspect it's mostly logistics and we'll see a healthy uptick near the second half of this month and obviously March too.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes