Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things are happening in Europe. Friend from The Netherlands messaged me saying that invites are out (he himself is not a reservation holder), but I can't find confirmation from another source.

But Dutch FAQ page for Model 3 was updated: Bestelling en levering - Model 3

- You can reserve a Model 3 and receive an invitation before 31 December 2018 to place your order.
- All orders placed in 2018 are expected to be delivered in the first half of 2019. Priority is given on the basis of the reservation date, place of delivery and configuration options.
- All reservations holders in continental Europe will receive an invitation to order the Model 3 before 31 December 2018.
- The Standard Range Model 3 is expected to be available in the second half of 2019.

The friend also quoted some prices (which again, I can't find anywhere, but I haven't had coffee yet... :D) and they all include 21% VAT and no incentives:
- 58,800 EUR for Long Range AWD
- 69,700 EUR for Performance AWD
- 5,300 EUR for EAP

EDIT: Found a source: Tesla Model 3 vanaf nu te configureren

Last edited:
Interesting pricing strategy for Europe. It seems Tesla is ok with having less gross margin over here than in the US. Not so clear why. Maybe Tesla is planning a Model 3 price reduction in the US in the following weeks?
Can anyone explain/clarify Tesla's pricing policy ?

My understanding is that Tesla must
  1. maximize its margin to generate as much cash flow as possible in order to build more gigafactories, enter more markets, further invest in solar, increase employees' pay…
  2. keep "fair" prices to ensure that as many people as possible can afford an EV because the end game is really the world's transition to sustainable energy (i.e of which profit will just be a byproduct) and to avoid being perceived as "toys for rich people" (watch the Yellow vests movement, which is becoming anti-EV because of that perception)
  3. undercut ICE prices as much as possible to make sure that all automakers are forced (or shamed) to switch to BEV only, *now* (or go bankwupt
Am I missing something?
How would you weight each factor?

Looks like people have been getting Emails to configure in Germany but noone
has been able to actually configure their cars. I haven´t heard anything yet even
though I reserved on day 1. In Switzerland, on the other hand, some people have
reportedly configured.

Someone on the German forum called Tesla and they said for AT, DE, IT, E and
some other countries the configuration page will only be opened in 1-2 weeks.

Model 3 LR ab 57.900 EUR, Auslieferung ab Februar • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

A big mess IMHO. No official statement/blog. For me, the price is also much higher
than I expected from comparing Model S prices between US and Germany. On
the edge whether to buy or wait. I think next year is a good time to have as much
money in shares as possible...

Looks like people have been getting Emails to configure in Germany but noone
has been able to actually configure their cars. I haven´t heard anything yet even
though I reserved on day 1. In Switzerland, on the other hand, some people have
reportedly configured.

Someone on the German forum called Tesla and they said for AT, DE, IT, E and
some other countries the configuration page will only be opened in 1-2 weeks.

Model 3 LR ab 57.900 EUR, Auslieferung ab Februar • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

A big mess IMHO. No official statement/blog. For me, the price is also much higher
than I expected from comparing Model S prices between US and Germany. On
the edge whether to buy or wait. I think next year is a good time to have as much
money in shares as possible...

I have not received a mail from Tesla nor an invitation to configure or order. Also there is no configuration available on the German web page.

So I am asking myself where all this rumors come from. Also on the German Forum I found nobody who received an invitation to configure and order.

The price information has been given to media only. Q&A has been updated on the web page.

To your point about pricing. Prices are lower than calculated from me months ago. So for me its a pleasant surprise.

If other countries can configure than it would be a mess but for me its not confirmed. I would expect a screen shot at least but I have seen none.

No justification IMHO to call this a mess.

Reactions: mrdoubleb
Interesting pricing strategy for Europe. It seems Tesla is ok with having less gross margin over here than in the US. Not so clear why. Maybe Tesla is planning a Model 3 price reduction in the US in the following weeks?
Obviously the current maximum US tax incentive allows for Tesla to maximize margins there.

The European pricing doesn’t even reflect the 10% EU car import duty. Apparently Tesla eats it. Totally unexpected and indicates recently improved production efficiency, IMO. (Although it could be construed as a bear argument, just as well.)

Last edited:
I have not received a mail from Tesla nor an invitation to configure or order. Also there is no configuration available on the German web page.

So I am asking myself where all this rumors come from. Also on the German Forum I found nobody who received an invitation to configure and order.

The price information has been given to media only. Q&A has been updated on the web page.

To your point about pricing. Prices are lower than calculated from me months ago. So for me its a pleasant surprise.

If other countries can configure than it would be a mess but for me its not confirmed. I would expect a screen shot at least but I have seen none.

No justification IMHO to call this a mess.

I have seen reports of people configuring from Switzerland (German forum TFF), Netherlands (here), Norway (here). This fits with the reply to the phone call I reported in my previous post (at least AT, DE, IT, E having to wait longer). Part of the motivation for me of getting the car would be being among the first to get it. With this situation and no way to know when I will actually get my car after this, that part is kind of vanishing.

Looking back at deliveries starting in the US it shouldn´t have come as a surprise to me, but it feels different if it affects you directly.

• Informative
Reactions: avoigt
I have seen reports of people configuring from Switzerland (German forum TFF), Netherlands (here), Norway (here). This fits with the reply to the phone call I reported in my previous post (at least AT, DE, IT, E having to wait longer). Part of the motivation for me of getting the car would be being among the first to get it. With this situation and no way to know when I will actually get my car after this, that part is kind of vanishing.

Looking back at deliveries starting in the US it shouldn´t have come as a surprise to me, but it feels different if it affects you directly.

Okay, thanks thats helpful.

Us in Germany being not the first ones ordering does in my understanding not mean necessarily that the delivery will be delayed too but we will learn about that later I guess. The sequence of delivery should be as listed based on configuration, reservation date and location (Q&A). That location part could have an effect though.

I believe not to be first is actually an advantage but understand your motivation to be a first owner. Be assured you will draw a lot of attention even a few months later with that car.

I decided a while ago that by purpose I do not want to be a first owner. One reason is that I assume it will take time for them to make delivery and maybe even quality perfect for European cars.

Next Move a German EV rental company is offering the 3 for long term rent with a take over option including free SC:

Tesla Model 3 Langzeitmiete - Elektroautos mieten

Thats quite attractive and they may be surprised about the demand. Can't imagine they get enough 3s though.

" (...) nextmove wird über 50 Tesla Model 3 mit owner-Priorisierung bestellen. Unsere Langzeitmietangebote (ab 6 Monaten) wollen wir bereits diese Woche zur Reservierung mit Wunschkonfiguration auf unserer Homepage online stellen.
Wer bis zum eigenen Model 3 preisgünstig elektrisch fahren möchte, kann bei nextmove ein Jahrespaket Nissan Leaf buchen (ab 499€ mtl.) und sich kostenfrei eine vorzeitige Ausstiegsklausel bei Model3-Auslieferung in der Mietvertrag schreiben lassen."

Last edited:
Reactions: hobbes
Do you think there may be quality issues with EU cars even though they are built on the same lines as US cars and only a different charging port attached?

I do not expect it but would not be surprised if we find some. The 3 arrives in Europe not fully assembled, Battery and Motors will be installed in NL. That has been confirmed from Tesla to me.

Also I expect the service, support and maintenance department from Tesla as well as the stores pretty much overwhelmed by requests and workload. Given all of that I do expect negative reports about the service and maybe delivery experience. This is pure speculation of course.

After the first months are gone everything should be well in swing and more smooth.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Obviously the current maximum US tax incentive allows for Tesla to maximize margins there.

The European pricing doesn’t even reflect the 10% EU car import duty. Apparently Tesla eats it. Totally unexpected and indicates recently improved production efficiency, IMO. (Although it could be construed as a bear argument, just as well.)

Tesla avoids it with "assembly" in the Netherlands.

Just to add my two cents: I am a day 1 reservation holder in Germany and have not gotten an invitation mail yet.
But at least I will be able to finally meet the Model 3 for real here in Frankfurt from next monday onwards.

Yeah, baby yeah! ;)

SC CCS retrofit for M3 starting in Dec!

Hype is real! CCS Model 3 being tested in NL! : teslamotors

Edit: Also Air susp. Supposedly confirmed for Europe!!

Just noticed, there is a silver Model 3 in those pictures. Does this mean silver will be back?
If so, things are just getting better by the hour. And air suspension too? Even cooler.
Now all we need is bioweapon defense mode filters :)

Last edited:
Reactions: avoigt