Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Model 3 has DAB+ radio and FM... so assume ours will too!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The demonstrator Model S that I drove in 2014 had DAB radio.... the car that was delivered 6 months later didn’t.
I don’t see how that’s relevant. The Model 3s being delivered in EU right now are not “demonstrators”. Also back in 2014 DAB+ was rare in HiFi equipment, let alone a car.

Last edited:
Since we have DAB+ and the rest of the world uses DAB, they need to be aware of the difference...
Indeed we need to be aware of the difference, and the EU Model 3s have a DAB+ radio. It’s in the thread I referenced.

In any event, most EU countries are migrating to DAB+ since they never made comprehensive rollouts of DAB in the first place. DAB+ radios are backwards compatible with DAB, I doubt it’s even possible to get DAB-only chipsets anymore to build radios with, so DAB+ is essentially “standard” now.

Last edited:
Fairly certain the european model S has DAB. We don’t.
If that’s the case, then that makes sense, since there’s no point installing a DAB radio in an AU car.

However, if new EU Model S/X are now being delivered with DAB+ radios and we aren’t getting that for new ones being delivered here, that is more relevant.

I appreciate that nothing is certain here, but the odds of AU Model 3 not having DAB+ would seem to be low.

I don’t see how that’s relevant. The Model 3s being delivered in EU right now are not “demonstrators”. Also back in 2014 DAB+ was rare in HiFi equipment, let alone a car.
It's relevant mate because the early demonstrator cars here were actual production cars from Europe... We didn't get DAB+ enabled on Australian delivered cars and the feature disappeared from the early demo car after it's software was upgraded.

You can't just assume that because it's on Euro cars that it will be enabled here until you have it in writing from Tesla, and even then you need to be careful. My car was advertised with homelink but the module was never in it, and it's only the absolute latest cars that have it in Australia.

It's relevant mate because the early demonstrator cars here were actual production cars from Europe... We didn't get DAB+ enabled on Australian delivered cars and the feature disappeared from the early demo car after it's software was upgraded.
So you are saying you tuned in and listened to a DAB+ radio station in a Model S demonstrator in Australia?
You can't just assume that because it's on Euro cars that it will be enabled here until you have it in writing from Tesla
I’m making a prediction. It might be wrong.

So you are saying you tuned in and listened to a DAB+ radio station in a Model S demonstrator in Australia?

I’m making a prediction. It might be wrong.
I remember selecting DAB and tuning but the interface needed work though as it was pretty clunky.
There was only limited time with the car - it was the one going for certification and was the first S in Australia, a dark blue P85+, pre autopilot.
I was annoyed that it was missing when I got my car but liked tune-in.

[Europe] DAB/DAB+ support for Model S?

I remember selecting DAB and tuning but the interface needed work though as it was pretty clunky.
There was only limited time with the car - it was the one going for certification and was the first S in Australia, a dark blue P85+, pre autopilot.
I was annoyed that it was missing when I got my car but liked tune-in.

[Europe] DAB/DAB+ support for Model S?
I have a similar recollection.

Which works great (albeit with a non-trivial time delay) provided you have data included in the purchase package of the car, and are in cellular coverage. At all other times, not so much.
? 4 years later my car is still running on the included data. If you are worried about cellular coverage, forget about DAB+ because the coverage is much much worse.

? 4 years later my car is still running on the included data. If you are worried about cellular coverage, forget about DAB+ because the coverage is much much worse.
All cars in australia include data for life, although around mid last year the data on new cars requires an annual plan. I was advised its around $100 per year, which is of minimal consequence. It’s also on the telstra network so excellent coverage

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Indeed we need to be aware of the difference, and the EU Model 3s have a DAB+ radio. It’s in the thread I referenced.

In any event, most EU countries are migrating to DAB+ since they never made comprehensive rollouts of DAB in the first place. DAB+ radios are backwards compatible with DAB, I doubt it’s even possible to get DAB-only chipsets anymore to build radios with, so DAB+ is essentially “standard” now.
Thank you for confirming that European Model 3 has DAB+. I asked the Tesla rep (from their nearby Edinburgh showroom) at a recent EV event in Scotland, but she didn't know. Now I find out from the land down under. Small world. The UK is now rolling out quite a lot of "plus" channels on DAB, having stuck doggedly to plain old DAB for far too long.