Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Tesla Wall Connector for other EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

As I'm prepping to get an M3 I'm researching the best home charging options. I like the sleek look of the Tesla's Wall Connector, but was wondering if it'd work for charging different Type 2-equipped EVs as we might be getting another one (like a Smart or a Leaf) quite soon as well and it would be awesome being able to charge all of them without any adapters. Does anyone have any experience with it? How far did Tesla modifications of Menneke go and what about the communication protocol?

Thanks for your support!

@Edit
Just found this video, looks promising:
Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Yes - the Tesla Wall Connector will charge any car with Type 2 (or CCS) socket. The Tesla UMC can also be used with non-Tesla cars with one caveat: Don't use a Tesla UMC with the 32A Commando adaptor and any non-Tesla car.
Errr, care to elaborate on this one? Are we talking “won’t work” or ‘will never work again”?

Errr, care to elaborate on this one? Are we talking “won’t work” or ‘will never work again”?
The Type2 connector was designed to support 3 phase AC at 16A per phase => each pin is not able to carry 32A. Tesla got around this in the MS and MX by using a non standard pinout for single phase use, with two pairs of pins connected together, sharing the 32 over two pins. With the 32A Commando adaptor connected to the UMC, the UMC configures the Type 2 connector in this non-standard pinout. Some non-Tesla cars can be damaged if two pins of the Type 2 socket are shorted together, as is the case with the Tesla non-standard pinout.