Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU version side repeater / blinker replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody.

Some times ago I started to get this "open / short circuit" alert when turning right. It appears somehow randomly, sometimes at every turn for a day, then nothing for a week, etc...

Alert.jpg

I highly suspect the cause is the right side repeater

SideRepeater.jpg

On this part, I could read the name of the manufacturer : Perei. Seems to be a manufacturer in UK (sounds logical as many parts come from Lotus)

On their website I found this reference that looks quite the same SR0227

Perei.jpg

I emailed their customer service, and they confirmed that they produced the original roadster part, but, guess what, they don't have them anymore and the SR0227 are not exactly the same (thanks Tesla for locking all parts to customers...)

I'm currently waiting to get another reply as I asked what exactly are the differences and if the SR0227 could replace the original part, and for what price. I didn't ask Tesla yet for the replacement, but I wonder if anyone here already did, or replaced the SR by something else.

I'll leave the references here, just in case it couls help someone in the future.

Best regards

EDIT : here the 2 emails I received so far. some part removed to protect the innocents ;)

>> Thank you for your enquiry.
>>
>> We did produce this part, which we supplied to Tesla, unfortunately
>> we are unable and no longer supply this part.
>>
>> Please contact Tesla direct for supply
>>
>> The part on our website appears the same, but the one supplied to
>> Tesla is different.

---------------------------

> I will contact our technical team to see if it is possible to replace
> with SR0227, I am sure there is difference. I will be in touch again
> as soon as I receive information, I should have a response early next
> week.
>

Last edited:
Ah yes that fun saga :confused:

I had my Roadster wrapped earlier this year, and on reattaching the side repeaters, one failed (guess LED early death or a potential brief short), got a similar warning stating the OS repeater needed replacing. I looked around as you did and found very little, then spotted a pair of Exige repeaters on EBay which I bought - totally identical to the Roadster and they retail new at about £70 each, but...
MVIMG_20180712_235635.jpg

Yeah that logo in the middle sucks :( I used the repeater because the error message and rapid blinking was annoying, despite @dpeilow making typical sarcastic remarks about identity disorder...

So when it went in for the its annual service, I asked the SC at Gatwick to see if they could find a replacement which amazingly they did, it was quick and it cost £65 - yes less than the Exige repeater! Far as I can tell there is no difference between the original and replacement as below, but it's possible that they are still being made for the Exige then getting the logo at a later stage. Anyway, I suggest you giver the Gatwick SC a call or email and ask for them to get you one.

MVIMG_20180712_235922.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
As you had the opportunitie to look at the blinker "off-car", do you think it's possible just to repair it by replacing the LEDs inside or is it completely sealed and would break? By the way, how do you remove the blinker, is it glued or just clipped ?

Not possible to repair, the assembly is sealed at manufacturing level, the problem with most LED small light assemblies now is that they are literally a replace total unit job when they fail. I did try to see if it was possible to break the seal, but checking under a microscope showed that it's a polymeric bond; effectively the part will break before the glue.

Removal is relatively easy, you need a flat blade, preferably softer than the car bodywork e.g. so if it breaks before you damage the paint. Ease it under the indicator/repeater and work around the edges, there is an adhesive pad securing it the wing/fender. The cable depending on side, is plugged in under the wing, to be frank its ^%%& to remove as the wiring is short, however lifting the hood/bonnet and moving some of the plastic trim out the way makes it easier. Or as I did, cut the wiring at the light end, then feed back the wiring, and make up a new adapter with more cable to make it easier next time...:eek:

The one's you've identified look right, BUT check with the supplier that they do not come with the Elise/Exige logo attached, else you'll attract the ire folks like @dpeilow... :rolleyes:

Hello Kerios

Thanks a lot for those helpful informations, it's great :)

I'll remove the inner arch in order to disconnect the wiring before pulling the repeater out. It might be easier this way.

I'll update this post when I got the replacement part ;)

Best regards