Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, OR - Kruse Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're driving up from the SF bay area to Eugene for the eclipse. Probably will leave the Tesla at home unless we can confirm destination charging at the Airbnb we booked. It's not just the number of cars and Tesla's, but everyone will likely be leaving within the same few hours afterwards, and going south pretty much there's only Interstate 5 going down to the major population centers in California.

And if there's bumper-to-bumper traffic, though EV's are far more efficient than ICE cars, it's still going to reduce range and only add to the anxiety. 6 or 8 stalls doesn't seem like a lot if everyone's heading the same way, and if everyone squeezes that extra 5-10% of charge just in case ...

Ya, you guys stay over there so eastern OR is empty. I'm planning to use Pendleton and/or Baker City twice. ;)
I might audible to Eastern Oregon if the weather looks better, but in August, it will probably be clear on both sides of the Cascades (eastern OR definitely feels like a lock though). I was actually originally planning to go over there, but some friends in Salem just invited me to come down and stay with them, so I will probably supercharge the day before on the way down and then hopefully trickle charge at their house. The Centralia supercharger is my biggest sweat and it feels like it might be a huge issue since there's no other option for Seattle to western Oregon drivers. I guess I could drive out to Aberdeen but that would be pretty awful lol. Maybe I can hypermile to Woodburn I suppose, but Woodburn feels like it will be choked as well.

Trolling the states for dig info and came across this:

upload_2017-11-5_12-35-49.png

Is this site getting expanded or updated in some way? This was posted 11/1/17 with work to begin 11/3/17...

Charged at Springfield this afternoon, noticed cuts in the pavement extending from the chargers in front of the parking spaces. Looks like they will extend the Superchargers (8 more?) towards the entrance to the Holiday Inn Express (westward)
Wow, those are heavily used spaces. I'm surprised they they didn't go the opposite direction around the corner on the east side. Those are mostly empty.

I charged at Springfield late last night and spent the night in one of the motels there. This morning it was dead, and the map on the touchscreen said "Temporarily closed" and it still did a few minutes ago. I had enough to get to Woodburn so no problem. Does anybody know what's up?

The new bollards appear to be ready to go; maybe someone was working on them. But nobody was there when I left this morning. I'd have been trapped had I just made the long haul from Grants Pass and discovered it was shut down.

All the I-5 superchargers from Centralia to Vacaville except Woodburn have been expanded recently or will be soon. Shasta and Corning with portables, and a big new one is almost ready to go in Shasta. I wish they'd install chargers midway between, instead of increasing the size of the ones that are already there. It's 138 miles between Grants Pass and Springfield and it was pouring rain; I get way worse range in the rain. As it stands, I have to stop at all the chargers between Centralia and Vacaville because they're too far apart to skip any. If they were 50 miles apart or less, I could skip several of them and save well over an hour. (I'm looking forward to Vancouver, WA)

-Snortybartfast

Last edited:
Reactions: Yarder
I charged at Springfield late last night and spent the night in one of the motels there. This morning it was dead, and the map on the touchscreen said "Temporarily closed" and it still did a few minutes ago. I had enough to get to Woodburn so no problem. Does anybody know what's up?

The new bollards appear to be ready to go; maybe someone was working on them. But nobody was there when I left this morning. I'd have been trapped had I just made the long haul from Grants Pass and discovered it was shut down.

All the I-5 superchargers from Centralia to Vacaville except Woodburn have been expanded recently or will be soon. Shasta and Corning with portables, and a big new one is almost ready to go in Shasta. I wish they'd install chargers midway between, instead of increasing the size of the ones that are already there. It's 138 miles between Grants Pass and Springfield and it was pouring rain; I get way worse range in the rain. As it stands, I have to stop at all the chargers between Centralia and Vacaville because they're too far apart to skip any. If they were 50 miles apart or less, I could skip several of them and save well over an hour. (I'm looking forward to Vancouver, WA)

-Snortybartfast
I was there about an hour ago and the old pedestals were active, new ones are still dead.

-Snortybartfast

There are markers on the Tesla site that suggests there will be SC’s in Roseburg and Salem. My wife was able to use it later in the day. I agree, more SC in between the current ones will help tremendously.

As it stands, I have to stop at all the chargers between Centralia and Vacaville because they're too far apart to skip any. If they were 50 miles apart or less, I could skip several of them and save well over an hour. (I'm looking forward to Vancouver, WA)

And rather than either of those ideas, I would love to see some number other than zero Superchargers on the 322 mile route between Boise and Bend or the 256 mile route between Boise and Winnemucca. Hard to feel sympathy for people wanting extra ones so they can skip them.

And rather than either of those ideas, I would love to see some number other than zero Superchargers on the 322 mile route between Boise and Bend or the 256 mile route between Boise and Winnemucca. Hard to feel sympathy for people wanting extra ones so they can skip them.

Or the 370 miles between Boise and Coeur d’Alene!
I’d much rather have one in Grangeville or Whitebird than Ontario or Mountain Home.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Agreed, especially about Boise-Winnemucca and other "Supercharger Deserts". Boise-Coeur d'Alene is less critical because there's a less scenic but faster (albeit longer in miles) route through Pendleton, although I'd like to see that too. It'll take at least two along US 95 there.

I've said this before (and this is way off topic, sorry), but I think Tesla needs to set up a network of mini-superchargers for back routes like these. The urban supercharger is a step in the right direction but even better would be a 20-50 KW charger that can run on 240 two phase like an ordinary residence, and is targeted for restaurants and box stores, etc., in these out-of-the-way locations. Unless you got the dual or the big charger option, you're limited to about 30mph charge rates with the present HPWC, and a 5 hour wait or more. Fine for overnight, but too much if you're trying to get there in a single day. Charge rates over 100 mph (~30KW) are about the minimum. It'd be a competitor for CHAdeMO and CCS. Having those in these locations (and an adapter) would suffice, but they only seem to be getting built close to the larger cities.

-Snortybartfast.

• Love
Reactions: Blu Zap and Rocky_H
Agreed, especially about Boise-Winnemucca and other "Supercharger Deserts". Boise-Coeur d'Alene is less critical because there's a less scenic but faster (albeit longer in miles) route through Pendleton, although I'd like to see that too. It'll take at least two along US 95 there.

I've said this before (and this is way off topic, sorry), but I think Tesla needs to set up a network of mini-superchargers for back routes like these. The urban supercharger is a step in the right direction but even better would be a 20-50 KW charger that can run on 240 two phase like an ordinary residence, and is targeted for restaurants and box stores, etc., in these out-of-the-way locations. Unless you got the dual or the big charger option, you're limited to about 30mph charge rates with the present HPWC, and a 5 hour wait or more. Fine for overnight, but too much if you're trying to get there in a single day. Charge rates over 100 mph (~30KW) are about the minimum. It'd be a competitor for CHAdeMO and CCS. Having those in these locations (and an adapter) would suffice, but they only seem to be getting built close to the larger cities.

-Snortybartfast.
I appreciate the grace in my teasing a little about your desire for the extra locations.

I've thought about just this type of half-Supercharger thing before. There are a lot of people who don't have the higher onboard AC chargers. These are minor lightly used places, like Burns Oregon and Graingeville Idaho, so they would only get a couple of people a day at the most. A station with some onboard battery buffer could store up some energy from 240V 60A or 80A and then when a person comes to charge, dispense it as DC at 50 to 80kW or something. Installation would be much cheaper than a full Supercharger for something like this because of just needing a regular AC circuit and no high level transformer.