Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, OR - Kruse Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a PSA for anyone stopping at this Supercharger right now, and that is the hotels nearby, and most of the restaurants, won’t let you use their restrooms while you charge. We found two exceptions, and that is the Denny’s and the Chevron station. The Denny’s staff was actually awesome, and personally invited us in as we were passing by and mentioned the difficulty in being able to find a restroom. Of course it is because of the pandemic, but other locations have been much more accommodating.
I don't think the Denny's is 24 hours during the pandemic, so I guess Chevron is the best option for late at night.

Just a PSA for anyone stopping at this Supercharger right now, and that is the hotels nearby, and most of the restaurants, won’t let you use their restrooms while you charge. We found two exceptions, and that is the Denny’s and the Chevron station. The Denny’s staff was actually awesome, and personally invited us in as we were passing by and mentioned the difficulty in being able to find a restroom. Of course it is because of the pandemic, but other locations have been much more accommodating.
Unfortunately this is the reality of Covid and it's not just this location. It's nationwide and it's made for a little more planning to not necessarily use charging stops as bathroom breaks. Suboptimal, but that's just the reality of our times. It will go back to normal.

Unfortunately this is the reality of Covid and it's not just this location. It's nationwide and it's made for a little more planning to not necessarily use charging stops as bathroom breaks. Suboptimal, but that's just the reality of our times. It will go back to normal.
I figured this was going to be a potential issue anyway when I went on a trip this past summer, so I just didn't really expect bathrooms at my charging stops most of the time. Truck stops have to stay open, so their bathrooms are always available, so I just took quick stops there that were usually not at my charging locations. Not as efficient time-wise, but it removed having to wonder and worry about it.

Reactions: GHammer
They are relentless. I walked into two of those hotels with my 8 year old daughter, and they both said no.

I also agree that it seems a condition of the Superchargers was they would treat the drivers as hotel guests and allow the use of restrooms.

Back in October I stopped at the Springfield supercharger twice on my way down and back to California. Both times the Holiday Inn let me use the restroom off the lobby. Every hotel supercharger I used on the trip let me use their restrooms. This must be a new policy.

The Black Bear Diner in Grants Pass was scary on the way back. The place was crowded like before times. Fortunately the restroom was empty. I did my thing and held my breath passing through the dining room.

I know in California hotels are technically closed to all except essential travelers currently. This wasn’t the case in October. It’s possible Oregon has some temporary stricter measures in place currently too?

Living on the Oregon/Washington border, the two states are mostly in lock step in the COVID rules. It could be the rules have tightened recently. COVID has become an even worse disaster since Thanksgiving.

Trying to get back to Seattle from Crater Lake and car nav says Springfield is “temporarily closed”. I couldn’t find anything in the threads. I guess I need to re-route through Bend since I’m already at the north entrance to the park and don’t have enough juice to go beyond Eugene without slow charging.
Just a heads up for anyone else planning a stop at Springfield and to check the hive mind for information about this location’s status.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
There's already a thread for that supercharger here:

No new info about the closure though. I saw someone on fb make a similar post, but haven't seen any on the ground info yet. Definitely seems odd that the entire supercharger would be down, especially considering there are stalls in two different parking lots (so it can't be paving or painting or something like that). I'm not sure but I want to say there are even two separate transformers. I know the Holiday Inn parking lot was the original supercharger and the stalls in the other parking lot were constructed later. Could be a local power outage I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: chrstna4
Sorry for starting a new thread. Maybe the title can be changed to “Springfield, OR Supercharger temporary closure” - would a moderator do that? Should we keep it as is or move this to the Eugene thread? I was in a panic but I did look through a few pages of the Northwest posts then searched Springfield and Eugene and didn’t see the thread - though I was pretty sure I’d seen one before.

I would like to keep track of what people find out.

Sorry for starting a new thread. Maybe the title can be changed to “Springfield, OR Supercharger temporary closure” - would a moderator do that? Should we keep it as is or move this to the Eugene thread? I was in a panic but I did look through a few pages of the Northwest posts then searched Springfield and Eugene and didn’t see the thread - though I was pretty sure I’d seen one before.

I would like to keep track of what people find out.
I take it you didn't stop by! I couldn't tell what your route was based on your post.

For future reference, (almost) all of the TMC threads are linked to the red dots on supercharge.info. Simply click on the dot, then click discuss, and the thread will open in a new tab.

Car nav said I wouldn’t make it to Salem from the north entrance of Crater Lake. Then I tried to navigate home to see what the car suggested and it said it couldn’t find a route. So, I asked ABRP and that said I could make it to Salem with 8% left - decided I trusted that and drove the speed limit. I thought about stopping at Springfield to check if there was an obvious answer to the temporary closure but didn’t want to push my luck. After I got home, I saw there is a public Tesla charger at the Crater Lake Lodge (16 kw).

Car nav said I wouldn’t make it to Salem from the north entrance of Crater Lake. Then I tried to navigate home to see what the car suggested and it said it couldn’t find a route. So, I asked ABRP and that said I could make it to Salem with 8% left - decided I trusted that and drove the speed limit. I thought about stopping at Springfield to check if there was an obvious answer to the temporary closure but didn’t want to push my luck. After I got home, I saw there is a public Tesla charger at the Crater Lake Lodge (16 kw).
Routing through Bend is 30 minutes slower, but would have made the trip stress free. Generally speaking I always stop to check on even the out of service superchargers unless they are a big diversion (Springfield, OR is not). Reduced Service superchargers almost always work to some extent, and Temporary Closure superchargers sometimes work as well. Don't ask me why Tesla doesn't provide more detailed information!

• Informative
Reactions: chrstna4
We planned to stop at Springfield a few days ago, and I was lucky to notice the do-not-enter icon on the nav map, so we used Salem instead. I agree with posts above: hard to figure why this double-sided site would be closed in its entirety. Maybe a fuss with the Holiday Inn about bathroom access.

We planned to stop at Springfield a few days ago, and I was lucky to notice the do-not-enter icon on the nav map, so we used Salem instead. I agree with posts above: hard to figure why this double-sided site would be closed in its entirety. Maybe a fuss with the Holiday Inn about bathroom access.

According to plugshare somebody checked in on the 20th, though they were only getting 52 KW and said three stalls were not working.

They've been having some problems for the last year. When I was there last October the newer section (the other parking lot from the HI) was all inoperable and the HI side had two inoperable and a couple running at low power. There was a Tesla tech there working on it.

According to Plugshare Tesla just got a permit to start construction on a SuC at Myrtle Creek. When I go to CA that will allow me to skip Grants Pass and Springfield.

Reactions: bruce4000