Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Euro Tail Lights in USA

Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
So most (if not all) countries in Europe require the rear turn signals have to be yellow/orange instead of the red we have in the USA. If i were to acquire the euro tail light assembly would it be a 1 for 1 swap easy fit for my Dec 2014 P85D or would i need to get creative in the wiring and solder up a new harness to make it work?

Why do i want this? safety because the yellow/orange has been proven time and time again to be safer than red turn signals, and looks, i like modding my cars.

Reactions: BigNick

dds28

Apr 14, 2018
Honolulu
Someone in the US converted their lights. Not sure how they got it to work. They owner of the car commented:

No, the modules I made demultiplexed the signals, the software on the car is untouched. No rear fog, just reverse lights (I did not change the tailgate lights, just the outboard ones)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BigNick

Verranzo

Jan 9, 2018
Denver
I'm currently in beginning of the process of doing this myself. Always bugged me to the point where I want to just fix it myself. Right now I still need to get ahold of another EU taillight however.

My plan now is to get to the main control unit and change the signal wiring via relay logic. Got that planned out, just need to solder a board and take apart the dash. Waiting for time and warmer days.

From my research, changing the signals definitely can't be done in software with out rooting the mcu. Last I looked, rooting is possible for MCU 1 but not for MCU 2 (if you got the mcu upgrade).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC