Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

" Europe and Asia are pending regulatory approval "

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
Europe and Asia are pending regulatory approval which will "hopefully" happen in next few weeks.

Dang!!

Does anybody know about this? Why we need some regulatory approval?

JFoX

Dec 16, 2014
Lille, France
Maybe because of some nanny-states in Europe wanting Tesla to implement a nanny-mode Autopilot:mad:...
I hope it will not end with a funless, Europe-only, under-competitive version of the AP.

If I have to hold the steering wheel, more than half of the appeal is gone.

frosken

Oct 4, 2013
Norway
Aww man! I had my hopes up!
It's like being 8 y.o. and on the evening before christmas getting told "Sorry, the calendar was wrong! Welp, hopefully you can open some presents next week!"

o71cCv6.png

You freedom folks better post lots of photos, videos and writeups as you recieve the update!

TonyOrr

Jul 10, 2014
London
Aww man! I had my hopes up!
It's like being 8 y.o. and on the evening before christmas getting told "Sorry, the calendar was wrong! Welp, hopefully you can open some presents next week!"

You freedom folks better post lots of photos, videos and writeups as you recieve the update!

yep! What he said! Haven't we waited enough already!?! Another let down given Elon only said last week that it was rolling out Worldwide today. Fingers crossed we don't have to wait too long.

Torpedo Ted

Oct 14, 2013
Norway
But Elon specifically said that it would be released this Thursday WORLDWIDE (not only North America). Pretty disappointing that that isn't the case... :(

Also, needing "Regulatory approval" sounds like nonsense. I really doubt an "approval" is necessary for this stage of autonomous driving. And if it was, why wouldn't they get the approval before releasing?

Last edited:

bylund

Aug 6, 2014
Sundbyberg, Sweden
This makes no sense. What kind of regulatory approval would that be?
I doubt an new certificate of conformity is needed, then they would need that for each update.
And if there were law changes required it would take years, not weeks.

TMS

Jul 1, 2015
Switzerland
This makes no sense. What kind of regulatory approval would that be?
I doubt an new certificate of conformity is needed, then they would need that for each update.
And if there were law changes required it would take years, not weeks.
Exactly! I think EM is trying to calm us down until they finish rolling out the update to North America so that their systems are not overloaded. In around 5 days, the rollout of V7.0 to the US and Canada will end eventually, and Tesla will hopefully start to roll it out in Europe and Asia, fingers crossed!

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Exactly! I think EM is trying to calm us down until they finish rolling out the update to North America so that their systems are not overloaded. In around 5 days, the rollout of V7.0 to the US and Canada will end eventually, and Tesla will hopefully start to roll it out in Europe and Asia, fingers crossed!

Or it could be that EU regulations require certification of driver assistance systems (which they do as far as I am aware), but that may be based on testing done by the manufacturer.

MorrisonHiker

S 100D 2021.4.15
Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
But Elon specifically said that it would be released this Thursday WORLDWIDE (not only North America). Pretty disappointing that that isn't the case... :(

Also, needing "Regulatory approval" sounds like nonsense. I really doubt an "approval" is necessary for this stage of autonomous driving. And if it was, why wouldn't they get the approval before releasing?

Any word from Australia concerning the update?

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine

Also, needing "Regulatory approval" sounds like nonsense. I really doubt an "approval" is necessary for this stage of autonomous driving.

Why wouldn't it need approval? Approval can just mean testing it, sending paperwork and having somebody stamp it.

And if it was, why wouldn't they get the approval before releasing?

Because it wasn't finalized until very recently?
Also, Europe isn't a country. There's the EU, but other non-EU countries, so they may want to get approval for all countries in the region.

frosken

Oct 4, 2013
Norway
Very interesting. Are we sure they are not just beta testers thinking they're free from the embargo of the early access program?

TMS

Jul 1, 2015
Switzerland
At least the Swedish guy (Segelflygaren) confirmed that he is not a beta tester:

icon_topic_latest.gifav Teslaägare Herr X » 15 okt 2015 21:12
Aha, du är betatestare.. givetvis..!

icon_topic_latest.gifav Teslaägare Segelflygaren » 15 okt 2015 21:25
Nej, är inte betatestare (vad jag vet i alla fall).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC