Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

" Europe and Asia are pending regulatory approval "

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No where does it say Tesla will need new laws, just that they need approval. I see it as similar to DOT approval in the US, which each automaker has to go through and it is always evaluated per case to make sure the equipment complies to Federal standards. That other automakers got approval for similar features does not mean Tesla will automatically be approved, as they have to evaluate if Tesla's specific implementation matches requirements.

Ok guys,

Let me draw your attention to some important things here:

1- The first tweet of Elon mentioning the release of AP and V7.0 is this:
elon1.JPG

He only said "Wide" release, not "Worldwide".

2- Pay attention to his tweet from today 19.10.2015:
elon2.JPG

and his first tweet (in a reply to a user from the UK) about the rollout of V7.0 on 14.10.2015:
elon3.JPG

In both tweets, he only uses the word "Approval" in singular form, and never the plural "Approvals".

This points to a single "Approval", and my guess is, that it has nothing to do with a regulator or regulators in Europe and Asia, rather, it has everything to do with an "Approval" by the DOD in the US (aka the US military). They most probably will have to approve the export of such advanced software outside the US, especially to countries that are not exactly US allies like China and Russia. This is usually the case with any advanced software and hardware that a US company wants to export.

This is just a theory, but I think that this is what is delaying the rollout...

Ok guys,

Let me draw your attention to some important things here:

1- The first tweet of Elon mentioning the release of AP and V7.0 is this:
View attachment 98535
He only said "Wide" release, not "Worldwide".

2- Pay attention to his tweet from today 19.10.2015:
View attachment 98536
and his first tweet (in a reply to a user from the UK) about the rollout of V7.0 on 14.10.2015:
View attachment 98537
In both tweets, he only uses the word "Approval" in singular form, and never the plural "Approvals".

This points to a single "Approval", and my guess is, that it has nothing to do with a regulator or regulators in Europe and Asia, rather, it has everything to do with an "Approval" by the DOD in the US (aka the US military). They most probably will have to approve the export of such advanced software outside the US, especially to countries that are not exactly US allies like China and Russia. This is usually the case with any advanced software and hardware that a US company wants to export.

Elon Musk on Twitter:

Says worldwide. ;-)

@Rprp

OK, you got me there! :redface: You are right, he did answer one person with WW. But my other speculation about the delay still stands :wink:

Haha, sorry! ;-) Actually, the Dutch agency RDW tweeted today that they are looking at it with Tesla for approval: RDW on Twitter:
Maybe Tesla would have thought that it would be done in a few days, but are delayed by the governments.

OK, but this maybe concerns approval for the Netherlands only, so why hold it back for other countries? Here in Switzerland, the government has already pre-approved driver assistance systems similiar to Tesla's on 01.07.2015 (Maybe because the minister responsible for the traffic department drives a Tesla and already know about V7.0 AP :wink:)

"Bern, 01.07.2015 - The Federal Council today approved an adjustment of the Vienna Convention on the cross-border traffic. This concerns the rules on driving assistance systems. The adjustment will ensure that the Convention is compliant with the rapidly progressing technical regulations.

Driving assistance systems are now often standard equipment on modern vehicles and take on tasks of vehicle steering. With tests and pilot projects, fully automated driving is also being tested worldwide in the meantime. The Federal Council approved the adaptation of the Vienna Convention on the cross-border road transport intended to ensure that even driving assistance systems, which actively take a part of the driver's control responsibilities, are in principle legal and are in conformity with the Vienna Convention. But the responsibilty still remain with the drivers: They need to be able, at any given time, to take control of their vehicles, so that they do not endanger other road users.

With these adjustments, the Vienna Convention matches the agreement on technical regulations from 1958, and by a clause the compliance of future driver assistance systems is guaranteed, provided that they meet the required conditions."

I am sure there are other countries in Europe and Asia/Oceania who already approve such systems, so why put all countries outside the US in one basket?

New information:
Somebody wrote a comment about V7 rollout in Europe on Tesla's Blog here: Your Autopilot has arrived | Tesla Motors
The person wrote that he spoke to Tesla in Germany, and they informed him that V7 rollout in the EU is pending approval, not for AP features, but for distributing a firmware over Telecommunication networks, which is something that needs approval every time! This process will probably take 1-2 weeks for EU countries, but other non-EU countries like Switzerland, should get V7 in the coming few days! Let's hope this info is true!!

I do not see any European Community organization gives an authorization for all European countries ! It would be the first time that happens !
From my understanding, auto line assistance systems from Audi is at rather low speed. It might be the problem with the Tesla system that is working even at high speed.

I am afraid we will have to wait a couple of months before we see an update on our cars (at least here in France knowing the kind of bureaucracy we have...).

This is interesting theory. I find it possible, that Tesla needs permission from Export Administration Regulations to distribute AP.

Navigation and Avionics are on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/regulations/commerce-control-list-ccl

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/forms-documents/doc_download/1089-ccl7

"7D102 Integration "software
"
I'm almost positive it is about this.

Last edited:
[...]not for AP features, but for distributing a firmware over Telecommunication networks, which is something that needs approval every time! This process will probably take 1-2 weeks for EU countries, but other non-EU countries like Switzerland, should get V7 in the coming few days! Let's hope this info is true!!

That i actually the most plausible explanation I've read. Tesla has never(?) set a specific date for SW releases before. They usually appeared in USA before EU, and the rollout has often been several weeks. So it is possible they previously made the final build, sent it for approval, and within the next days/week slowly started the rollout in USA while waiting for the approval in EU. Since they were not in a rush, they probably even got the EU approval before it was released anywhere.

This time however, they were in a hurry, because of a huge pressure (lot's of promises and Model X). v7.0 was probably built only a few days before the promised release date, and thus haven't had any time for any aprovals yet.

Last edited:
Hasn't Europe has always been a lot more concerned about data privacy? Maybe the delay is due to data privacy concerns? Perhaps they are concerned about the uploading of auto steer corrections to Tesla's servers and an additional privacy disclaimer could be required.

The problem as far as I can see is due to UN Regulation 79 which doesn't allow any "hands off wheel" above 10 km/h without nagging constantly. There is a Workgroup established which are working on this general issue, but the current timeline doesn't expect any change to regulation until end of 2016. You can have a look at the documents etc here: http://www.globalautoregs.com/meetings/764
Hopefully Tesla has been involved in some lobbying or defininition changes that makes them able to roll out faster.