Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Europe] DAB+ reception and reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, that sounds promising! I'm not convinced yet, but I'm hopeful!
Would be interesting to see if 5.8 fixes the issues with your car also. I have the impression that there are quite alot differences in how the DAB problem affects different cars: Had a Tesla loaner (w/ 5.6) for some days, and DAB in that car worker almost perfect.

Would be interesting to see if 5.8 fixes the issues with your car also. I have the impression that there are quite alot differences in how the DAB problem affects different cars: Had a Tesla loaner (w/ 5.6) for some days, and DAB in that car worker almost perfect.
Nope, DAB still works bad on 5.8 for me.

I took it for a drive today but the reception is still flaky.

What did change is that when the music comes back it fades in instead of simply being back.

The DAB transmitter is about 25km from my house, so reception shouldn't really be the problem. I have a trip to the more urban area planned for later this week, let's see how that works out.

My idea is that it's still a flaw in the design of the antenna and not something they can fix with software updates. FM reception for example is also very poor.

When I drove the S around Geneva the DAB reception worked flawlessly. Whether the same could be said far from the city, who knows...

The DAB in the Ampera is excellent. There are a couple of locations in the south of England where it drops out, but then it does on FM too. I'm genuinely surprised at how good it is, as I use DAB radios at home and tried it at work, but they get a worse signal.

DAB works much better now on 5.8, had an hour drive and only noticed one dropout of a few seconds, same trip yesterday on FW 5.6 it sucked bigtime (not useable). So overall happy with the update! :)

Update: tested some more and noticed quite frequent dropouts, was driving in urban area this time so maybe the signal was weaker. Still useable though, but definitely leaves room for improvement

Last edited:
Is it me or did DAB improve with 5.8.4? I drove to Amsterdam this morning and usually DAB doesn't work well in the south west of the Netherlands, but now it worked a lot better!

Could be two things:
A: Tesla fixed something
B: Extra transmitters have been installed

Last edited:
I try to listen to DAB (radio538) frequently but as soon as it starts to drop out (no automatic fm-link available for this station) I switch source to something else like tunein or usb.
It's hit or miss, sometimes it works (like in my previous post here), sometimes it doesn't. Didn't notice any improvement from last FW update though. Must have been your lucky day ;)

Still loads of DAB problems in Norway. Random channel switch, mediocre reception, and what`s new nowadays is a low sparkling sound in the background when listening to DAB.
Sounds like an old LP disc except for the great sound quality.

Tesla has a long way to go before their software works flawlessly.

Still loads of DAB problems in Norway. Random channel switch, mediocre reception, and what`s new nowadays is a low sparkling sound in the background when listening to DAB.
Sounds like an old LP disc except for the great sound quality.

Tesla has a long way to go before their software works flawlessly.
Ah, I'm not the only one with the sparkling sound! I sometimes have that, not all the time.

Thx, just sent them a mail.

Did anybody ever try to fix this problem by means of some extra antennas or something. Or maybe try to find the problem themselves and fix it?

I read something about a groundproblem of the antenna to the body on the dutch forum. Shouldn't be to hard to fix, wright?

DAB Radio in Europe

Quite disappointed here in the UK to find out after taking delivery of my P85D that DAB radio is not standard<br><br>It is standard in many cars, so why not a Tesla?<br><br>The SIM in the car is assigned to a Spanish IP, and so due to licensing issues, I can't listen to BBC Radio 5 Live &amp; Sports extra.<br><br>I don't want an add-on box<br><br>Is there a fix for this? &nbsp;

Quite disappointed here in the UK to find out after taking delivery of my P85D that DAB radio is not standard<br>

That's strange. It was standard in my P85D in Switzerland. I ordered in May 19 2015 and took delivery on September 1st. I don't have the premium sound package, but I do have DAB.

But the implementation is strange. Not the audio, but the "meta information": With the music app on the dash, I don't see the channel name, I only see some strange Number. And on the big screen I see the station name in very small letters, above in much bigger letters, is the same strange number plus more numbers. And I don't get any cover art. If I listen to the same station in FM or Internet, I get the correct station name and even cover art. I think they could not really test this at Tesla because they don't have DAB in the US?
If someone is interested, I can post screenshots of the media app while playing DAB radio.