Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe... But then, why pay for the twin chargers if there's no benefit?? Just to charge at single phase and 80 amps, here in Europe??? It makes no sense for me.

As I said before, I am stubborn, and I still think that Tesla will "surprise" us :D

Because the twin chargers give you 3x32 (22 kW) instead of 3x16 (11 kW)?

Yesterday at Ikea in Reimes on my way to Paris:

image.jpg

Dual charger config. ikea has 62A I only could use 32A.

Btw. the Tesla UMC Euro Plug Adaptor seems to be wrongly made. Doesn't work on French Plugs where you only can plug in in a certain way. I had to build an adaptor yesterday :(

Btw. the Tesla UMC Euro Plug Adaptor seems to be wrongly made. Doesn't work on French Plugs where you only can plug in in a certain way. I had to build an adaptor yesterday :(

Wait... Why does the screen show 62 A? It's because the charging pole is rated at 63 A?

BTW, you say you've twin chargers, but have you been asked to come back to a Tesla service to retrofit the second charger or dou you have it already mounted in the car?

Thanks for the pic, nice to see 108 km/h charging :)

Do you speak from this adaptor?

vy6y6a6a.jpg

This one is rated with max 32A.

Or from the standard household Adapter ?
Then perhaps you mean that line and neutral are on the wrong side?
But AFAIK you can only draw max 10 A with this one.

I saw someone with single charger charge at 64km/h, isnt that "too much" for single charger?

Yes, it is...

Regarding the previous pic, charging at 240 V & 3x32 A = 23 kW means 108 km/h, so 1 kW equals 4,7 km/h.

Then 64 km/h / 4,7 km/h equals 13,7 kW. At three phase it's 20 amps (3-ph 400V), so over the 16 A theorical limit for a single charger at 3-ph.

The more we know, the more feassible a single charger can get 22 kW. I hope 43 kW would be reachable for a twin charger car soon...

You mean it doesn't have the hole for their protuding earth pin?

By the way, did the Ikea charger also have a CHAdeMO?

It has the hole in it, but the UMC shows an error that the phase is wrong. Once you change the phase by using a small extension cord which switches the circuit it works. For European sockets it just works as you can plug in just the other way round.

The IKEA also has Chademo available. Pretty cool I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait... Why does the screen show 62 A? It's because the charging pole is rated at 63 A?

BTW, you say you've twin chargers, but have you been asked to come back to a Tesla service to retrofit the second charger or dou you have it already mounted in the car?

Thanks for the pic, nice to see 108 km/h charging :)

I had the dual chargers already built in. I had problems with some chargers to charge at 32A.. The charger at IKEA worked perfectly. I could dial up to Model S maximum of 32A.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you speak from this adaptor?

vy6y6a6a.jpg

This one is rated with max 32A.

Or from the standard household Adapter ?
Then perhaps you mean that line and neutral are on the wrong side?
But AFAIK you can only draw max 10 A with this one.

No I am talking about the house hold adaptor. It looks like line and neutral are on the wrong side. I tried several sockets. None worked. After I built the small extension cord it worked immediately.
I think the max. for this plug is 13A. Right now I'm charging with 9A only anyways as I'm staying 3 days in Paris and didn't want to exercise my extension cord too much.

So you did it. First report of an EU Model S charging in France at this rate !
Congratulations.

Do you know if someone is already offering type 3 to Type 2 cables for rent, as most of EU EV owners coming to France would need one ? Lucky that the Ikea charger has a Type 2 cable attached to it...

No I am talking about the house hold adaptor. It looks like line and neutral are on the wrong side. I tried several sockets. None worked. After I built the small extension cord it worked immediately.
I think the max. for this plug is 13A. Right now I'm charging with 9A only anyways as I'm staying 3 days in Paris and didn't want to exercise my extension cord too much.

Had also some problems with the schuko adapter.The mobile connector would start flashing red when plugged into the wall.
When i inserted it upside down, it worked fine.
Strange that the order of N+L seems important, it should not matter, as it is only one phase.

Strange that the order of N+L seems important, it should not matter, as it is only one phase.

In fact it's because that fact why it does matter...

J1772 has two pins for power and both can be "hot" or one "hot" and the other "neutral". But the Mennekes has a dedicated neutral pin, so you must connect it to N, never to a "hot" cable.

That is the problem that exist in Norway: They don't have a neutral, so their UMC is different in the way it allows to recharge while being plugged into a two "hot" poles socket, with no neutral.

Yes, it is...

Regarding the previous pic, charging at 240 V & 3x32 A = 23 kW means 108 km/h, so 1 kW equals 4,7 km/h.

Then 64 km/h / 4,7 km/h equals 13,7 kW. At three phase it's 20 amps (3-ph 400V), so over the 16 A theorical limit for a single charger at 3-ph.

The more we know, the more feassible a single charger can get 22 kW. I hope 43 kW would be reachable for a twin charger car soon...

Here's the pic i never said I'd post. ;)
Wonder if the car can handle 63A (as the One with dual chargers gets the number) but is currently Software limited untill tested further?

This guy has, as far as I know, single chargers - or do you, Cirion, if your out there?

yhajevar.jpg