Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe, let the games begin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Capture d'écran 2019-01-15 22.30.39.png
    Capture d'écran 2019-01-15 22.30.39.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 99
Is this a joke? I went to the link. Are you really observing a ship or kidding?

Why should it be a joke?
Someone further up posted a link to a twitter feed that showed those hundreds (thousands?) of Model 3s destined for Europe next to the car carrier "Glovis Captain", which is supposed to be the ship that they sail on.

And yes, the link I posted shows the current position of said ship. Not that I constantly monitor its every move, but once a week or so is quite interesting imho, to see the progress on its way.

I find it fascinating anyway what we can do nowadays. When I was young we couldn't even dream of such possibilities. Global (often even real-time) tracking of ships, airplanes, even parcel delivery vans. Google/Bing maps, Google Earth, Streetview, you name it.
I remember the time when it was considered revolutionary that you could buy a CD containing the whole German phone directory, including rudimentary geo-coding, back in the early Nineties ;)

Why should it be a joke?
Someone further up posted a link to a twitter feed that showed those hundreds (thousands?) of Model 3s destined for Europe next to the car carrier "Glovis Captain", which is supposed to be the ship that they sail on.

And yes, the link I posted shows the current position of said ship. Not that I constantly monitor its every move, but once a week or so is quite interesting imho, to see the progress on its way.

I find it fascinating anyway what we can do nowadays. When I was young we couldn't even dream of such possibilities. Global (often even real-time) tracking of ships, airplanes, even parcel delivery vans. Google/Bing maps, Google Earth, Streetview, you name it.
I remember the time when it was considered revolutionary that you could buy a CD containing the whole German phone directory, including rudimentary geo-coding, back in the early Nineties ;)

Yes technology is remarkable, I'm saying this for the benefit of our future robotic overlords.

Congrats @ gonature and valentine, I'm curious, did you order the Performance ?
I'm owner of a "Original" Roadster 2.0, Sig Edition (one of the very first to get the Roadster in CH, back in September 2009) and we are on our second Model S, ordered (two M3, non Performance Dual Motor) 6/12/18 and did not receive any VIN or call from Tesla. Also put down the reservations the first day.

I got a call just now. The usual questions: financing, trade-in, and an offer for winter tyres for 2000 EUR for 18 inch, or 19 inch for 3500. My ETA was given as "early March", i have an order number ending with 111 in Austria.

I'm super interested in how this will go down in Europe, especially in Germany.

I don't think many Europeans are used to and are particularly tolerant of Tesla's level of quality but, on the other hand, they're used to paying exorbitant prices for meager performance and crappy in-car tech.

What's a Model 3 cost in Germany vs say a mid-level A4? The Tesla website redirects me to the US page as soon as I try to look at pricing.

Oh, and super lame to not have secured tesla.de early on!

I'm super interested in how this will go down in Europe, especially in Germany.

I don't think many Europeans are used to and are particularly tolerant of Tesla's level of quality but, on the other hand, they're used to paying exorbitant prices for meager performance and crappy in-car tech.

What's a Model 3 cost in Germany vs say a mid-level A4?

My Model 3 configuration costs just shy of 66K Euro.
For the same amount I could get a well equipped A5 Sportback Quattro gas car. I just did a test-config, trying to get it as close to the Model 3 specs as possible. Interestingly enough it cost about the same as the Model 3, while being superior on some tech and amenities and inferior on some others. On the whole I think they would be comparable if not for two main differences:

- the Audi has better build quality (though I must say the US spec Model 3 they had on display in the Frankfurt store recently seemed quite satisfactory in terms of build quality. Not perfect, but far from bad - and far better than both Model S's I had test driven over the years).

- the performance of the Model 3 is far superior to the A5 Sportback Quattro. To get to the same (or at least very similar) level of performance I would have needed to choose the S5 as a basis, bringing the price up to above Model 3 levels.

Summing up, I think the Model 3 has the potential to be a winner, even over here. The main problem is that most Germans still seem to be very sceptical about BEVs in general. Us early adopters will have a lot of "convincing by experiencing" ahead of us. ;)

My Model 3 configuration costs just shy of 66K Euro.
For the same amount I could get a well equipped A5 Sportback Quattro gas car. I just did a test-config, trying to get it as close to the Model 3 specs as possible. Interestingly enough it cost about the same as the Model 3, while being superior on some tech and amenities and inferior on some others. On the whole I think they would be comparable if not for two main differences:

- the Audi has better build quality (though I must say the US spec Model 3 they had on display in the Frankfurt store recently seemed quite satisfactory in terms of build quality. Not perfect, but far from bad - and far better than both Model S's I had test driven over the years).

- the performance of the Model 3 is far superior to the A5 Sportback Quattro. To get to the same (or at least very similar) level of performance I would have needed to choose the S5 as a basis, bringing the price up to above Model 3 levels.

Summing up, I think the Model 3 has the potential to be a winner, even over here. The main problem is that most Germans still seem to be very sceptical about BEVs in general. Us early adopters will have a lot of "convincing by experiencing" ahead of us. ;)

Wow, that’s steep indeed. I actually had the exact same choice, with both being about $47k after taxes, tesla tax credit and Audi discounts (dealer and loyalty).

I picked the Tesla but, if I had to do it again I’d have a much harder time choosing.

@TeeEmCee I dunno about you in the US, but here in the EU we're kidding ourselves. Service is hit and miss, service costs are outrageous, the delivery wait can be substantial.

I had to wait 5 months for my Zoe from the day I ordered. When they had to do a recall, I didn't get a loaner at all, especially not for free. ICE car service is expensive and people just get amnesia about the cost, in my experience people usually remember only 50% of what they paid for a year. A typical BMW maintenance appointment without any actual repairs required costs between 400 and 800 Euro, just for the regular maintenance. Citroen C3 annual maintenance sans any actual repairs: 400 Euro. Mercedes is above 1000 (depending on model). People swallow every time they see the bill, but forget about it as soon as they walk out the door.

That said, my brother had to wait 6 months for a replacement rubber seal on his Model X, and it took as long to find the reason for why the doors sometimes wouldn't close. Tesla Vienna did give him a free loaner and they were very much trying to do things right, but they had to wait ages for parts. Finding the door fault also took them quite a bit of time.

Low maintenance cost is a Tesla boon which I fear people won't realize until they actually own a BEV.

@AustinPowers: You're unfortunately very right about german cars being almost a religion. If you think Tesla fanboys can be annoying, you haven't met a proud VW-loving german yet. VW can do no wrong, it's all everyone else's fault, and the ID line of vehicles will wipe the floor with Tesla at a fraction of the cost, no doubt in their minds whatsoever. And the whole Dieselgate thing was just a ploy by the US to damage the industrial might of german carmakers of course.

On one hand I'd be more than happy to see lots of manufacturers actually start to sell decent or excellent EVs. However it's hard not to hope for certain brands to finally crash and burn after having lied so often and made so many empty promises, particularly when there's a zealous fanbase happy to amplify every oopsie by Tesla, while brushing over any and all issues or broken promises of their favorite brand. (Like the fact that the ID line of vehicles is at least 1 year late, based on the boasting statements of their CEO back when it was announced - something that diehard VW fans absolutely do not want to be reminded of)

I see it like this: Even if Tesla were to bite the dust in the near future, there's no turning back the clock now. Full-range BEVs by VW, Volvo, BMW and others will come. And it's in all our interest that there's as much competition out there as possible.

Fun fact, I have also ordered an e-Golf to replace our second car, so I know both sides. Also my first car was a Golf (Mark III).

But I never was a fanboy of any car company, I am also not one of BMW, even though my current car is one.
I do love BEVs though (have been fascinated ever since I saw the first Golf CityStromer cars in the early to mid Nineties), and Tesla at the moment simply has the best ones available overall.

That being said, more and more good BEVs are entering the market or have been available for a while. The e-Golf of course, the Renault Zoe, the Hyundai Ioniq I was also quite partial to.
Then there's the new Kia Niro BEV and the Hyundai Kona Electric and both get a lot of praise (see for example the episodes of Fully Charged about them for reference).
The coming years will be interesting for sure.