Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all

For better understanding, I'm currently in Europe, Portugal.

I'm in the process of closing an order on the model Y but then it hit me:

Should I get now the model Y (Made in china MIC) or wait (more) for the Gigafactory to get it going with the "2.0" model y with the new battery pack (although is not sure that the first models to be made in Berlin will have the 4680 pack) and the new casting technology?

Of course, being European, from the European economic community POV of the production and purchase, I would prefer to get the Berlin version. But I'm just talking about the different specs of the (same) model y!

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you all ⚡⚡⚡

Hello. If it serves of any guidance, after making my reservation, I decided that I rather wait for an unit made in Grünheide (mostly in expectation of future improvements, such as the new batteries). I rang Tesla in Madrid and they told me that no problem, they would “earmark” my order, so it is serviced from the German production. So I’m now waiting with baited breath 😏

Hello. If it serves of any guidance, after making my reservation, I decided that I rather wait for an unit made in Grünheide (mostly in expectation of future improvements, such as the new batteries). I rang Tesla in Madrid and they told me that no problem, they would “earmark” my order, so it is serviced from the German production. So I’m now waiting with baited breath 😏
Great news!

I did the same yesterday on the tesla dealer, and besides the berlin factory origin i've asked to make a note on the batteries (hoping for the production to start from the beginning with the 4680 pack)

Make two of us with baited breath! Ahah

I don't think you'll be seeing Model Ys coming out of Berlin with the 4680 battery pack for a long time!!
Oh, ok. I do believe that the first units will not see the 4680. But I'd not call it a long time. What do you mean by long Time?

Related topic: the 4680 batteries made in Fremont are being used for what? Any use or application or just for stock to be used in the future?

Thanks

Hello to all

For better understanding, I'm currently in Europe, Portugal.

I'm in the process of closing an order on the model Y but then it hit me:

Should I get now the model Y (Made in china MIC) or wait (more) for the Gigafactory to get it going with the "2.0" model y with the new battery pack (although is not sure that the first models to be made in Berlin will have the 4680 pack) and the new casting technology?

Of course, being European, from the European economic community POV of the production and purchase, I would prefer to get the Berlin version. But I'm just talking about the different specs of the (same) model y!

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you all ⚡⚡⚡

Wait. That's just general advice: if you can wait, wait. Cars are expensive.

On EU v China, my view is more that if Tesla can't get Berlin going, then they're either in trouble because of their big bet on 4680, or they're just going to be a Chinese company in disguise.

Same situation here, I finally decided to wait for the one built in Germany. Possibly 4680 batteries will not be immediately available but at least I should get the new LG pack with extended capacity and, hopefully, better recharging performance. It is also possibile that other minor improvements will be implemented, I guess learning from the experience of the previous factories. The casting technology could also bring improvements, as well as the new paint shop.
On the minus side, new car coming from a brand new factory, still possible some youth construction/process issues.

I guess we will know something more In few days, in occasione of the gigafest in Berlin.

Reactions: Tararua
Thank you all! I'll wait, made the order in early September (as well as a Cybertruck order 😈) and now I'm getting the popcorn ready for the 9th and find out (if we're going to find out) more developments on the Berlin Y and the 4680. Looks like it's going to be a long shot to see the 4680s being used on the beginning of the Berlin Ys (only if they shipped the US made from the Kato factory - but even writing this feels like a hell of an plus effort to add to the building and starting up havoc that giga Berlin was/is.) Well, either way, I'm willing to wait up to a year from now in hopes that in one year time we can see the 4680s rolling out of Berlin!

Thanks to all

Reactions: Tararua