Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe Roadster adapter to Typ2-connector for use 43kW-charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the most suitable thread to post in but...

According to the German Tesla forum the Swiss company behind the CrOhm boxes (GS-Technology) started a project for 3-phase charging. No changes to the PEM: "The PEM is not rebuilt, but a supplementary electronics installed including water cooling".
Apparently, the project was put "on ice" until more information was released about the 3.0 battery upgrade. That information is now available, so maybe they could de-ice the project and make us happy! I have sent a PM to the guy that posted this..

Intresting ide
Hope it will be for sale

Not sure if this is the most suitable thread to post in but...

According to the German Tesla forum the Swiss company behind the CrOhm boxes (GS-Technology) started a project for 3-phase charging. No changes to the PEM: "The PEM is not rebuilt, but a supplementary electronics installed including water cooling".
Apparently, the project was put "on ice" until more information was released about the 3.0 battery upgrade. That information is now available, so maybe they could de-ice the project and make us happy! I have sent a PM to the guy that posted this..

I looked into this at one time and concluded the device would be so heavy and bulky, not to mention expensive, that I gave up on it. Brusa also looked into it but a company that size needs a bigger market. I hope they go ahead with it because it would be a great gift to Roadster owners.

Big thanks to Henry for doing his level best to get this to me as soon as possible. Big thumbs down to UK Customs for holding it up.

20160119_100837.jpg
20160119_100848.jpg
20160119_121913.jpg
20160119_122016.jpg
20160119_122101.jpg
20160119_122844a.jpg

Yes my car needs a wash - we just got back from Ireland.

This Roadster to type 2 converter has to be THE best solution to charging in uk if not all europe !
(I have the earlier version roadster to J1772 with a J1772 cable to Type 2 ... excellent but not quite as neat , unless using a fixed type 2 charging socket - but most of those only give 32A)

Big thanks to Henry for doing his level best to get this to me as soon as possible. Big thumbs down to UK Customs for holding it up.
This Roadster to type 2 converter has to be THE best solution to charging in uk if not all europe !
(I have the earlier version roadster to J1772 with a J1772 cable to Type 2 ... excellent but not quite as neat , unless using a fixed type 2 charging socket - but most of those only give 32A)

Now if only I can find a way to use all three phases...

Has anybody tried this on one of those weird one-phase-into-three Tesla European/Asian wall connectors?

It should work because the adapter ignores all but one phase. If the HPWC has sensors to make sure current is flowing through each phase then it won't work. But I don't think they do.

- - - Updated - - -

I have begin to make something that fix 3 to singel phase

I will see if it will work???

May take some month before i have it ready enough to post somthing

Good luck to you. Such a device would be very popular. I looked into doing it a few years ago. My approach was to rectify the input, then feed it through an inverter. To handle a reasonable amount of power would have required a heavy device that took up too much space in the boot so I gave up on it. Maybe you have a better design?

Has anybody tried this on one of those weird one-phase-into-three Tesla European/Asian wall connectors?
Are you talking about the Wall Connector that uses single phase electrical service and puts the same phase into all three lines of the Model S 3-phase on-board charger? The Roadster has a 70A single single phase charger and the adapter pictured in this thread is just pulling one of the three 60A phases out of the public charging station to put into the Roadster. It's really the opposite problem. If you combine this adapter with that Wall Connector, you would probably get the original single phase utility power that you started with, but only the 40A (or is it 32A?) that the Wall Connector delivers. Same applies to the European/Australian Model S UMC. Is there any use in pairing one of those with the Roadster for 32A single phase from a Blue industrial socket? I suppose it depends on what your existing solution is for the Roadster.

Are you talking about the Wall Connector that uses single phase electrical service and puts the same phase into all three lines of the Model S 3-phase on-board charger? The Roadster has a 70A single single phase charger and the adapter pictured in this thread is just pulling one of the three 60A phases out of the public charging station to put into the Roadster. It's really the opposite problem. If you combine this adapter with that Wall Connector, you would probably get the original single phase utility power that you started with, but only the 40A (or is it 32A?) that the Wall Connector delivers. Same applies to the European/Australian Model S UMC. Is there any use in pairing one of those with the Roadster for 32A single phase from a Blue industrial socket? I suppose it depends on what your existing solution is for the Roadster.

My arrangement is that I have on my garage wall both a 40A single phase Tesla Wall Connector for my Model S, and a 70A Tesla HPC for my roadster. Supposedly at some stage the 40A single phase wall connector will get swapped with a 63A/70A single phase wall connector, when Tesla gets around to releasing it (they have been promising this for 2 years now).

The Type II Tesla Wall Connectors (40A single phase) use a strange wiring arrangement. The single phase line, from the wall, is put into the three phase lines in the type II connector going to the car. Literally, all three cable line wires are plugged into the same single phase line screw-down terminal in the wall connector. Have a look at the brown, black and gray wires in the bottom left hand corner of this picture (those are L1, L2 and L3 going to the car, with blue being the neutral).

Tesla40ASinglePhaseWallConnector.png

No idea what the signalling is. It certainly is non-standard enough that you can't charge other cars (like BMW i3) off it.

My concern is that the three L1, L2, L3 wires going to the car seem pretty small gauge. I don't think they are rated for 40A. I guess that is because they each only carry 40A / 3, it works out ok for the Tesla (particularly given the three phase chargers in the car). But, that would imply that the signalling is proprietary (as otherwise an advertised 40A to a single phase charger would pull the full 40A through just the L1 wire).

As well as at my home, there are now a significant number of these Tesla 40A single phase wall connectors cropping up all over Hong Kong, at 'destination charging' locations (hotels with restaurants, primarily).

My question is could I use this "Europe Roadster adapter to Typ2-connector for use 43kW-charger" with the Tesla 40A single phase wall connector, to charge a roadster?

Given the gauge of the wires and the intended purpose of the HK/Australia Wall Connector, it would probably not be safe to pull more than about 16A using the Roadster adapter shown in this thread. However, Henry is the expert, so you should wait to see what he says.

...My concern is that the three L1, L2, L3 wires going to the car seem pretty small gauge. I don't think they are rated for 40A. I guess that is because they each only carry 40A / 3, it works out ok for the Tesla (particularly given the three phase chargers in the car). But, that would imply that the signalling is proprietary (as otherwise an advertised 40A to a single phase charger would pull the full 40A through just the L1 wire).

The signalling would not necessarily have to be proprietary. I suspect it's using a standard pilot signal to charge at 13A from all 3 phases. It's pulling 40A from the wall so they call it a 40A Wall Connector. This is speculation on my part based on the way Tesla does things. I suspect the other vehicles won't charge because their on-board chargers depend on proper timing of each phase.

My question is could I use this "Europe Roadster adapter to Typ2-connector for use 43kW-charger" with the Tesla 40A single phase wall connector, to charge a roadster?

I suspect it would charge a Roadster at 13A. But I would suggest you test it before buying one. That might be hard to do without risking the shipping cost and any VAT you might have in HK.

My arrangement is that I have on my garage wall both a 40A single phase Tesla Wall Connector for my Model S, and a 70A Tesla HPC for my roadster. Supposedly at some stage the 40A single phase wall connector will get swapped with a 63A/70A single phase wall connector, when Tesla gets around to releasing it (they have been promising this for 2 years now).
I thought the promised HPWC for HK/EU/AUS was going to be 3-ph 32A to match the 22kW full capacity of the Model S in those markets. I also thought that it was recently released ...indeed, your fellow HK Model S owner has one. What happened to the promised 32 amp 3 phase wall charger from Tesla?

The signalling would not necessarily have to be proprietary. I suspect it's using a standard pilot signal to charge at 13A from all 3 phases. It's pulling 40A from the wall so they call it a 40A Wall Connector. This is speculation on my part based on the way Tesla does things. I suspect the other vehicles won't charge because their on-board chargers depend on proper timing of each phase.

I agree that would be sensible. The weird thing is, of course, that the car display says 'single phase 40A' when charging from these wall connectors. I guess they could have fudged the software to display 3x13A as 40A, or magically determine the three phase lines are all the same phase, but that seems really klunky.

If you plug into a three phase 32A, it says "(3) 32A". If you plug into a tesla wall connector, it says "40A".

I think you are right - try it and see. Perhaps one of the users in Europe can, as the Tesla 40A wall connector is supposedly the same there?

I thought the promised HPWC for HK/EU/AUS was going to be 3-ph 32A to match the 22kW full capacity of the Model S in those markets. I also thought that it was recently released ...indeed, your fellow HK Model S owner has one. What happened to the promised 32 amp 3 phase wall charger from Tesla?

Tesla originally promised, to buyers of cars with twin chargers, a choice of two HPWC versions:

• Single phase 80A
  • Three phase 32A

They also promised a 40A wall connector for buyers of cars with single chargers, and as a temporary loan to others waiting for the HPWC.

To complicate matters, they delivered 32A limited wall connectors initially. Those have since been upgraded (swapped) to 40A models.

And this is all further complicated by the weird internal three phase charger arrangement, so that single charger cars using 32A single phase public chargers only got 16A. That was the situation up until recently, when Tesla started delivering cars with new single chargers equipped with internal relays to dynamically re-wire the incoming power so recent cars here can get the full 32A from 32A single phase public chargers. Supposedly in UK they shipped the cars with dual chargers anyway, but somehow software limited to 40A?, to get around this limitation.

You can read the whole messy history of Hong Kong here: Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

Tesla have just now started to ship some 3 phase 32A wall connectors to dual charger equipped owners. The single phase 80A/70A/63A version is still MIA.