Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe Roadster adapter to Typ2-connector for use 43kW-charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck to you. Such a device would be very popular. I looked into doing it a few years ago. My approach was to rectify the input, then feed it through an inverter. To handle a reasonable amount of power would have required a heavy device that took up too much space in the boot so I gave up on it. Maybe you have a better design?

That is what i think to do to but i'm not shore if i can do it small enough and not to Heavy

If I can follow correctly, you are talking about a 3ph->1ph isolation transformer? That already exists, rated at 90A but limited to 70A by the car. And it's very bulky indeed! Nlab.be sells these..
I was looking into this before I bought my CrOhm type 2 charger. The difference between 70A and 64A just didn't do it for me...

90A-01.JPG

24148387359_9c4ed891ae_c.jpg

Last edited:
@markwj If they are pulling 13A on each phase and just connecting them in parallel, then the blue neutral/return wire on the car side of the EVSE needs to be sized to carry all 39A back again. It's difficult to tell in the photo, but is is fatter?

- - - Updated - - -

If I can follow correctly, you are talking about a 3ph->1ph isolation transformer? That already exists, rated at 90A but limited to 70A by the car. And it's very bulky indeed! Nlab.be sells these..
I was looking into this before I bought my CrOhm type 2 charger. The difference between 70A and 64A just didn't do it for me...

Not only that, but that "90 Ampere" charging station at NLab produces a really low voltage that after around 2 hours dropped below the threshold the car accepts and it cut out. I had to drop my car back to 55A in order to reliably complete the charge. I suspect their converter is not rated for 16kW continuous even though it claims to be 20.7 kVA.

20150829_144009.jpg
20150829_144015.jpg

20150829_151317.jpg

We did look at making a 3 phase to 1 phase converter using GaN electronics. It would enable a smaller unit (shoe box sized for 16kW) but it would be costly. Otherwise the only way to do this right now if you *really* want three phase input is to fit the Brusa charger, but that has been discussed in other threads.

Last edited:

View attachment 108806

By the way, do you know where this one is located? (As my photos show, it's not the one from the NLab facility in Bruges)

If I can follow correctly, you are talking about a 3ph->1ph isolation transformer? ...

Not quite, although that's a simple but not very portable solution. I was talking about using electronics instead of a transformer. Convert the 3 phases to DC, then use an inverter to produce a single phase supply. I found out later that a friend of mine actually built this but it took up half the boot and could only produce 20A continuous single phase. At 95% efficiency it also produced a lot of heat.

Not quite, although that's a simple but not very portable solution. I was talking about using electronics instead of a transformer. Convert the 3 phases to DC, then use an inverter to produce a single phase supply. I found out later that a friend of mine actually built this but it took up half the boot and could only produce 20A continuous single phase. At 95% efficiency it also produced a lot of heat.

Wild and totally naive thought... Would it be easier to skip the inverter part, and convert 3phase into DC for a CHAdeMO interface? Then use the Jdemo box from Tony?

@markwj If they are pulling 13A on each phase and just connecting them in parallel, then the blue neutral/return wire on the car side of the EVSE needs to be sized to carry all 39A back again. It's difficult to tell in the photo, but is is fatter?

Yes, the blue wire is fatter than the other three. The 40A Tesla wall connectors in UK should be the same arrangement. Grateful if you could try Henry's new type II CAN on them to see what happens.

Wild and totally naive thought... Would it be easier to skip the inverter part, and convert 3phase into DC for a CHAdeMO interface? Then use the Jdemo box from Tony?

This is already done in the form of "portable" 22kW CHAdeMO chargers. They are still rather large and expensive.

Mobile Fast-Charger MDC22

MDC22_Product.png

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the blue wire is fatter than the other three. The 40A Tesla wall connectors in UK should be the same arrangement. Grateful if you could try Henry's new type II CAN on them to see what happens.

If someone with one wants to let me know where I can find one, then sure.

It'd be interesting if the car receives a 40A pilot and then tries to pull all 40 through one phase.

Last edited:
@hcsharp: Henry - can I get a type 2 can from you for my UK roadster? Can collect when I'm in the US to save international shipping/

on a different general topic, for the record the early UK Model Ss were delivered with dual chargers even if only one was paid for. The reason was Tesla needed to support the standard 32A domestic single phase charger and their EU charger module is only 16A 3-phase.

The software then prevented the second charger being used when connected to 22KW 3-phase unless the charger upgrade fee was paid.

rewiring Type 2 wall chargers was not acceptable as those then would not have charged other makes of EV.

after a year Tesla came up with a cheaper solution for single charger cars: a relay pack which as stated upthread just connects the car's three 16A phases in parallel when single phase 32A is detected as the input.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
"There is a slight risk of putting a little more leverage on the charge port with my adapter, but it's quite small. This is the shortest adapter I've made and when you add the length of the Type 2 connector the combined length is only a few cm longer than the OEM charge connector. I've got over 100 CAN adapters in circulation and not one has ever caused any damage to a charge port."

It did damage my charge port, if you recall... However, I was using it with a slightly larger stack; I did the CAN SR -> Tesla/J1772 adapter -> J1772... So I added one more thing to the mix, but it broke pretty quick, I think 2nd or 3rd time using it...

"There is a slight risk of putting a little more leverage on the charge port with my adapter, but it's quite small. This is the shortest adapter I've made and when you add the length of the Type 2 connector the combined length is only a few cm longer than the OEM charge connector. I've got over 100 CAN adapters in circulation and not one has ever caused any damage to a charge port."

It did damage my charge port, if you recall... However, I was using it with a slightly larger stack; I did the CAN SR -> Tesla/J1772 adapter -> J1772... So I added one more thing to the mix, but it broke pretty quick, I think 2nd or 3rd time using it...

I assume the point of your post is to warn people that using a product in a way that's not recommended or supported increases the risk of damaging your car. That is only one reason why I don't support stacking adapters, and not the biggest reason.

BTW, this thread is about the implementation and use of the CAN EU (European Type 2 to Roadster) adapter, not the CAN SR.

Hello.
Can I use chademo with loadster charging with these connectors?
Use is in Japan. Please tell me how to do it. There are a lot of jdemo communication errors these days...

Noguchi.

Attachments

• 4871ED5E-2D2A-446A-BABC-D3FC3ADC72FF.png
    4871ED5E-2D2A-446A-BABC-D3FC3ADC72FF.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 5A00D758-AF7A-4541-96EE-9FFC3453AC7B.png
    5A00D758-AF7A-4541-96EE-9FFC3453AC7B.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • ED879A10-390A-4939-897F-3F2C8A7A6BCC.png
    ED879A10-390A-4939-897F-3F2C8A7A6BCC.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
Hello.
Can I use chademo with loadster charging with these connectors?
Use is in Japan. Please tell me how to do it. There are a lot of jdemo communication errors these days...

Noguchi.
Sorry, no. You would be able to physically connect them, but no charging would happen. The CHAdeMO charging is ~400V DC, whereas the Roadster will only accept 100-240V AC. No damage would occur if you try this, but because the communication protocol will not happen, no power will flow.

It is the same story if you try to plug a USA Supercharger cable into the CAN SR adapter on the Roadster. Nothing happens.

• Informative
Reactions: hcsharp and eHorses