TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

European assembly / delivery

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PascalNL, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PascalNL

PascalNL Member

IMG_5648.JPG

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere already.

There is a M3 registered on Dutch plates and driving around in the Netherlands in the neighborhood of the plant where also other Tesla's for the European market are being assembled. I guess this means Tesla is also working on an assembly line for the M3. I hope this means The Netherlands may be getting the M3 before other overseas countries...

Oh, and it's not photoshopped or anything since you can lookup the registration on rdw.nl (the Dutch DMV). It was registered on August 31st.

In Dutch:
    Eerste Tesla Model 3 in Nederland gespot | Autonieuws - AutoWeek.nl

2. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Member

IIRC that plant is only used for EU countries, other non-EU European countries they can direct ship finished products. The plant basically just sticks the wheels and powertrain into a mostly finished chassis, to avoid import taxes by being "built" in EU.

Realistically, I'd expect them to build a GF for Model 3 (and it's batteries) somewhere in Europe in the next few years but they likely will build and ship cars from Fremont at first unless they can build the factory in the next year or faster...

• Like x 1
  3. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

The one thing I want most to see from the EU version is the charge port. Are they still sticking with their variant of Type 2, have they moved to Combo, or is there something else going on?

Beyond that, I mainly just want to know how delivery is going to play out in Europe.

4. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Member

At a minimum they would keep their modified Type 2. If they go to also having Type 2 Combo, I am sure they'll keep the Type 2 non-combo portion the same as existing Teslas (i.e. their modified Type 2) so that existing supercharger infrastructure can be used. For Type 2 combo regions this is easy to have both in one port...

For Type 1 Combo regions it's not possible to have both without having them separate. There might be just enough room in Model 3's charging area to shoe-horn in both Tesla Proprietary connector and Type 1 Combo, but it's probably a tight fit if so, and so far we've only seen regular Tesla Proprietary connector on cars delivered thus far (though it's not impossible that they'll announce an S/X refresh that gains Type 1 Combo plus Tesla, and then 3's from there on also have that feature, and just retrofit the handful that have been delivered).

5. PascalNL

PascalNL Member

The car in the picture appears to have a rear fog light in the center of the bumper. Hard to see if it is indeed a fog light and whether it is a temporary solution or not.

6. Jim R

Jim R Member

Rear Fog lights are a legal requirement in Germany, and I suppose in the rest of the EU as well.

• Love x 1
  7. widodh

widodh Model S 85kWh

Car regulations are mostly EU wide. So something that’s required in Germany is required in the EU.

Some exceptions might exist.

8. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Not just the EU. We basically adopt EU regulations for everything here as well (vehicles, construction, etc), even though we're just EFTA. I assume that Norway is the same.