Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Car of the Year 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was to be expected. They always chose boring cars which no one will remember in two years time. To be hones, I am even surprised that the Tesla finished so high!

They are very conservative, but history will remember that this is the era that driving 2.0 started with the BMW I3 and Tesla Model S!

it is a bit sad that the voters are a little "chicken"

I saw that the 3 Dutch members of the Jury (among others) gave more points to the BMW i3 than to the Tesla Model S. This proves that some Dutch people really are not that intelligent. I hereby do officially apologise to all the members of this forum that we did not put forward 3 smarter fellow Dutch citizens, which then would be chosen to be a member of the jury of the European Car of the Year 2014. It would have mattered, because the Tesla Model S would at least have gathered more points than the BMW i3. But on a more general note, American people seem to understand more about cars then the European people. That has been proved now officailly. I want to emigrate to the US, right now. I feel sad.

Especially because we in Holland have the most charging locations in whole Europe, and the fact that we are a small country so range is no problem. European people are afraid to think out of the box and want to clamp on to their ICE cars. My wife's ZoË is a brillant car which suits here needs for range but I noticed the Renault dealer do not give a **** of trying to sell it and didn't know a damn about electric driving. That will change soon because car sales are dramatic low in Europe.Factories are closing and more will follow. The jury of European Car of the year voted the Nissan Leaf first in 2012 so it was time for "not selling brand" Peugeot to boost sales a bit - that's my opinion. The jury should have seen the MS benefits of : LUGGAGE SPACE, SAFETY, RANGE, FUTURE DRIVING, LESS IS MORE ETC.

They put up some of the comments:

Voting Grid 2014 - Car of the year

It seems one of the issues for France was no dealer network? Do dealers have strong presence in France? Overall though even the negative people were mostly positive but cost and charging was their biggest concerns. Though some (1 or 2) of the people based on their comments should not be allowed to vote.

This was to be expected. They always chose boring cars which no one will remember in two years time. To be hones, I am even surprised that the Tesla finished so high!

They are very conservative, but history will remember that this is the era that driving 2.0 started with the BMW I3 and Tesla Model S!

it is a bit sad that the voters are a little "chicken"

"+1 - I fully agree but regarding the i3 : Dramatic range, not BMW worthy !

- - - Updated - - -

It seems one of the issues for France was no dealer network? Do dealers have strong presence in France? Overall though even the negative people were mostly positive but cost and charging was their biggest concerns. Though some (1 or 2) of the people based on their comments should not be allowed to vote.

Most of Europe still do not have a sales office, only Holland, Belgium, Germany and Norway. UK is starting to get cars within a month. France only a few sales yet. In Holland 1200 sold in 2013. Infra structure of charging point are still only in Holland very good, rest of Europe BAD. So bearing this in mind the jury members saw a lot of problems in their country for the MS. Still almost all local governments in most European countries do not know a thing about electric driving, charging points etc. So like in the USA, also we are still the frontrunners who has to pave the roads.

Yeah... the guy who said the touchscreen provides too many options and is not the future of the automobile, then proceeded to give a 10 to the gas guzzling Merc (which he of course describes as giving "great fuel efficency" -- wonder how many people think 19 mpg premium unleaded is great fuel economy :confused:)

The Model S came in at #3, the Peugept 308 took the trophy. I really don't understand what they saw in the 308. It was a bit puzzling that the Model S got such low points in Norway where it had a huge sales success and took the country's own Car of the Year award.
The Norwegian score was handed out by one guy, who was apparently biased. It doesn't reflect the actual sentiment here, as the Model S has already been voted Norwegian Car of the Year.