Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Car of the Year 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YES! We made the final 7!

Full press release from http://www.caroftheyear.org/media/news/Seven/Nominees/for/CotY/2014/20131216_80/coty

Seven Nominees for CotY 2014

The Jury has cast a first decision on Car of the Year 2014 award. Seven of the thirty initial candidates have been nominated finalists; in alphabetical order: BMW i3, Citroën C4 Picasso, Mazda3, Mercedes-Benz S-class, Peugeot 308, Skoda Octavia and Tesla S.
For this voting phase, each juror has selected seven candidates in a simple vote, and the ones with most votes comprise the group of seven Nominees 2014. Now the Jury focus only on those models, that will be also submitted to specific tests near Paris next February, prior to the final vote and the announcement of the winner in Geneva on March 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], 2014. Finalists include regular cars as Citroën C4 Picasso, Mazda3, Peugeot 308 and Skoda Octavia. Also an extra-luxury vehicle as Mercedes S-class, a full electric as BMW i3 or one that adds high price and electric drive, as the Tesla S.

For some reason, that link does not work for me... but this one does:
http://www.caroftheyear.org/media/news/Seven/Nominees/for/CotY/2014/20131216_81/coty

Congratulations to Tesla for making the top seven!

I highly doubt the affordable ICE cars will win. They are neat cars, but none is individual enough to beat out the other six. Since the Mercedes S-class, BMW i3 and Tesla Model S are present, it's down to this trio.

If they want to say the i3 is the car of the year, it would certainly be a nod to the technology, but they have to contend with critics of its handling, which is decidedly mediocre, and accusations that BMW are hedging their bets by offering an ICE option.

If they want to say the Merc is the car of the year, it would be certainly a nod to the luxury appointments and all-round capability. But what's revolutionary about it? Hard to say.

If they want to say the Model S is the car of the year, certainly the revolutionary technologies would be front and center. It also has amazing performance and handling, probably the best of the final 7. Then there is interior cargo capacity, sometimes compromised on cars with revolutionary technology, but not in this case. Interior luxury wouldn't be a main reason since it is trounced by the Mercedes, but it's still competent there. The Tesla is incredibly cheap to fuel, which may become a dark horse factor.

I'd say that, given that including three expensive cars into the top seven shows that they're obviously not exclusively concerned with affordability, the Tesla Model is in with a good chance of taking the prize.

Don't get your hopes up. I will be very surprised if the Model S wins. Europeans tend to vote for pretty mediocre (middle of the road) cars. The Tesla is just too expensive. It will be the BMW before the Tesla. Most likely it will be one of the french cars or the Skoda.

Don't get your hopes up. I will be very surprised if the Model S wins. Europeans tend to vote for pretty mediocre (middle of the road) cars. The Tesla is just too expensive. It will be the BMW before the Tesla. Most likely it will be one of the french cars or the Skoda.

Maybe that this is true but the Model is much better than the other cars. To this concern please check out this video.

Winter Driving Redefined - YouTube

Then when the Model E will be ready Tesla will not have anymore competitors also from the point of view of the price.

it did win in Sweden with the same cars plus a couple more like Porsche Cayman, Jaguar F-type etc in the lineup. well it was one of the two Swedish car magazines car of the year award. all the cars in the European was in the setup. Tesla won. I3 on third place

Do you have a link?

Which model came on second spot?

Second spot was ...cough... citroen grand picasso
citroen-c4-1.8i-picasso-04.jpg

Direct link for the Swedish award, Technology world magazine: http://www.teknikensvarld.se/2013/12/19/45154/vinnaren-av-teknikens-varlds-stora-bilpris-2014/

Google translated link: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teknikensvarld.se%2F2013%2F12%2F19%2F45154%2Fvinnaren-av-teknikens-varlds-stora-bilpris-2014%2F&act=url

Comment: the translation is not correct for the headline of the article, its not "large car prices" but "the big award" regarding cars.

Hi.

I ma certain that the votes from Denmark will go to the Skoda or some other really small forgetable car that none remembers next year. This would just be so typically danish motor journalists.

BTW the Mercedes S-class is a 300.00 USD car in Denmark, the Tesla model S would be priced very similar to that, if it was not for government incentives...

/Martin
Waiting for S85 to arrive in April...

Hi.

I ma certain that the votes from Denmark will go to the Skoda or some other really small forgetable car that none remembers next year. This would just be so typically danish motor journalists.

BTW the Mercedes S-class is a 300.00 USD car in Denmark, the Tesla model S would be priced very similar to that, if it was not for government incentives...

/Martin
Waiting for S85 to arrive in April...

that is how the Dutch will vote too. I saw that one of the Dutch jury member did not even nominate the Model S. The Europeans tend to favour European cars. That is why I think the BMW I3 will be chosen before the Model s

The Model S came in at #3, the Peugept 308 took the trophy. I really don't understand what they saw in the 308. It was a bit puzzling that the Model S got such low points in Norway where it had a huge sales success and took the country's own Car of the Year award.

Last edited:
The Model S came in at #2, the Peugept 308 took the trophy. While I really don't understand what they saw in the 308, the silver medal is not that bad, considering we beat the BMW i3, the Mercedes S Class and 4 others. It was a bit puzzling that the Model S got such low points in Norway where it had a huge sales success and took the country's own Car of the Year award.

Are the regional reviewers public? Are they typically interviewed about why they scored the way they did?

It seems the only remarkable thing about the 308 is the HDI version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_308

The 308 HDi holds the Guinness world record of the most fuel-efficient mainstream car currently in production, having averaged 3.13 litres per 100 kilometres (90 mpg[SUB]-imp[/SUB]; 75 mpg[SUB]-US[/SUB]) over a distance of 14,580 km (9,060 mi), but Peugeot ran foul of British advertising rules by claiming 126 mpg[SUB]-imp[/SUB] (2.24 L/100 km; 105 mpg[SUB]-US[/SUB]) in an advert for the car.[SUP][6][/SUP]

Or was the award given to the 2014 model?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_308#Second_generation_.28T9.2C_2014-present.29

A second generation 308 was unveiled in Autumn 2013. It features the new Peugeot style unveiled with the 508 and the 208. It does also inaugurate the new Peugeot numbering system where the final digits are fixed: 8 for the mainstream range, and 1 for the models aimed at emerging countries, such as the Peugeot 301.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

Peugeot 308 was No. 7 on my list!
Oh, you placed it that high? :tongue:
I couldn't stop smiling when they were talking about how some cars revolutionalize the industry from the inside. Yeah, I bet Peugeot invented amazing cupholders or a breaktrhough windshield wiper - as opposed to Tesla, you know, coming out whith the first full range electric vehicle. I mean they did mention how the 308 broke with industry trends and that the new model is finally not bigger than the predecessor. What a trimuph. What does the Model S bring to the table? The first fully touch-interface vehicle which greets you with 3 new buttons and OTA software fixes by the time you wake up in the morning? Come on! :rolleyes:

I saw that the 3 Dutch members of the Jury (among others) gave more points to the BMW i3 than to the Tesla Model S. This proves that some Dutch people really are not that intelligent. I hereby do officially apologise to all the members of this forum that we did not put forward 3 smarter fellow Dutch citizens, which then would be chosen to be a member of the jury of the European Car of the Year 2014. It would have mattered, because the Tesla Model S would at least have gathered more points than the BMW i3. But on a more general note, American people seem to understand more about cars then the European people. That has been proved now officailly. I want to emigrate to the US, right now. I feel sad.