Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Model S dashcam power source?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I live in Switzerland and have a 2017 Model S 90D.
I was intending to fit a BlackVue dashcam but all of the installation videos show you guys plugging in to a 'spare' power connector that is sitting behind the grill in roof above the rear view mirror.
Here in Europe, that plug is in use. I believe it is supplying power to a pair of ultrasonic sensors for the alarm (I might be wrong but I think that's what they are). The grill is not a grill but is actually a plate housing the 2 sensors.

Has anyone in Europe done a DIY install and found a clean and non-invasive way to get always-on power for a dashcam? I will not be cutting/splicing etc and really don't fancy routing a wire up from miles away if possible.

Hi all,
I live in Switzerland and have a 2017 Model S 90D.
I was intending to fit a BlackVue dashcam but all of the installation videos show you guys plugging in to a 'spare' power connector that is sitting behind the grill in roof above the rear view mirror.
Here in Europe, that plug is in use. I believe it is supplying power to a pair of ultrasonic sensors for the alarm (I might be wrong but I think that's what they are). The grill is not a grill but is actually a plate housing the 2 sensors.

Has anyone in Europe done a DIY install and found a clean and non-invasive way to get always-on power for a dashcam? I will not be cutting/splicing etc and really don't fancy routing a wire up from miles away if possible.

Can't you just tap into the 12V in the grille area where your EU intrusion sensor is located? BlackVue has very little power draw. Would be a clean install. FWIW here in the US when I installed our 2 BlackVues, I found the unused connector, but instead of finding a mating male connector to splice into, I just striped the BlackVue power cable, tinned the ends of the black & white wires, figured out the corresponding +12v and ground on the female connector, popped open the connector, laid the bare wires on the pins, and snapped it closed. Nice and neat, and the connector was/is still available.

Sadly James, it's not that connector. It's a bit more bulky and I've not seen one before. As with most car connectors, it has a locking tab to stop it sliding apart with time and/or vibration.

Thanks the sharing your experience JPP. Knowing that you were able to open the existing connector and add the tinned power cables for the Blackvue gives me hope.
I would be quite comfortable to do the same and then reconnect the alarm power supply plug (fingers crossed it doesn't go mental when I disconnect it!)
I will have a look at the weekend to confirm I can get some thin cables in there using your method and then can probably order the dashcam after all.
Yay!

Sadly James, it's not that connector. It's a bit more bulky and I've not seen one before. As with most car connectors, it has a locking tab to stop it sliding apart with time and/or vibration.

Thanks the sharing your experience JPP. Knowing that you were able to open the existing connector and add the tinned power cables for the Blackvue gives me hope.
I would be quite comfortable to do the same and then reconnect the alarm power supply plug (fingers crossed it doesn't go mental when I disconnect it!)
I will have a look at the weekend to confirm I can get some thin cables in there using your method and then can probably order the dashcam after all.
Yay!

Hi Siggy,
How did it end up for you, have just ordered a BlackVue DR750S 2CH
I have also bought one inline fuse, and a 4 pin computer fan splitter cable, but that might not be necessary, if it is possible to tap directly into the exciting connector.
I am excited to hear what you ended up with.

/Hans

you can strip the insulation and solder the dashcam wires on it. make sure you won't blow the fuse and use duct tape to get back the insulation. that's how I did.

My dashcam has got a parking mode. But it needs a switched power (ACC). Anybody knows where to find switched power nearby the mirror?

you can strip the insulation and solder the dashcam wires on it. make sure you won't blow the fuse and use duct tape to get back the insulation. that's how I did.

My dashcam has got a parking mode. But it needs a switched power (ACC). Anybody knows where to find switched power nearby the mirror?
I would imagine that's a quick way to invalidate my warranty so perhaps I will try and find the other part of the plug online and then I can make myself a harness. Splicing into a 150 grand car's harness isn't my idea of fun. Thanks for the info though, it's all useful.
I'm interested to see how you get on with the switched power...

I would imagine that's a quick way to invalidate my warranty so perhaps I will try and find the other part of the plug online and then I can make myself a harness. Splicing into a 150 grand car's harness isn't my idea of fun. Thanks for the info though, it's all useful.

I'll keep you updated about the switched power connection.

You wouldn't want to see how a professional installer will do it. I saw a lot of installation of remote download devices for european trip recorder in trucks. most of them are pure nightmare.

red / blue is the switched power. It takes a minute or two after it is switched off and make sure your key is not nearby. Otherwise it still keeps the 12V...

IMG_20180817_212144 (Large).jpg