TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

European Model S dashcam power source?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Siggy101, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Siggy101

Siggy101 Member

Hi all,
    I live in Switzerland and have a 2017 Model S 90D.
    I was intending to fit a BlackVue dashcam but all of the installation videos show you guys plugging in to a 'spare' power connector that is sitting behind the grill in roof above the rear view mirror.
    Here in Europe, that plug is in use. I believe it is supplying power to a pair of ultrasonic sensors for the alarm (I might be wrong but I think that's what they are). The grill is not a grill but is actually a plate housing the 2 sensors.

Has anyone in Europe done a DIY install and found a clean and non-invasive way to get always-on power for a dashcam? I will not be cutting/splicing etc and really don't fancy routing a wire up from miles away if possible.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Can't you just tap into the 12V in the grille area where your EU intrusion sensor is located? BlackVue has very little power draw. Would be a clean install. FWIW here in the US when I installed our 2 BlackVues, I found the unused connector, but instead of finding a mating male connector to splice into, I just striped the BlackVue power cable, tinned the ends of the black & white wires, figured out the corresponding +12v and ground on the female connector, popped open the connector, laid the bare wires on the pins, and snapped it closed. Nice and neat, and the connector was/is still available.

3. James*

James* Member

4. Siggy101

Siggy101 Member

Sadly James, it's not that connector. It's a bit more bulky and I've not seen one before. As with most car connectors, it has a locking tab to stop it sliding apart with time and/or vibration.

Thanks the sharing your experience JPP. Knowing that you were able to open the existing connector and add the tinned power cables for the Blackvue gives me hope.
    I would be quite comfortable to do the same and then reconnect the alarm power supply plug (fingers crossed it doesn't go mental when I disconnect it!)
    I will have a look at the weekend to confirm I can get some thin cables in there using your method and then can probably order the dashcam after all.
    Yay!

5. snd92

snd92 Member

Just use the OBD2-port, which is not used in a TMS.