TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

European Model S UMC not working, out of warranty. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by TesRadionics, May 15, 2018.

1. TesRadionics

TesRadionics Member

Hello,
    my European Model S UMC stopped working. If I twist the cable it sometimes works but I don't think it's a good idea to leave the car charging connected to it.
    Any suggestions? I think UMC is not serviceable and it's sealed. Shall I just throw it away or is there any way to fix it? It's too bad as I had just purchased the blue adapter which I need to charger at 32Amps in my marina. I also use the three phase every now and then, which my alternative Chinese UMC does not support.

thanks for any ideas,
    Regards
    Ignacio

2. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I would just get a new UMC. it is cheap insurance against some pretty bad unforeseen consequences. you may be quite literally playing with fire.

that said, there is nothing incredibly fancy about the UMC and any electrician should be able to crack it open and see what is wrong with it -- and likely fix it. you could keep the [repaired] old as a backup or sell it on ebay to recoup some of the costs of getting a replacement UMC.

3. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Just swap your UMC at the Tesla Service Center. This part was faulty from when you purchased it, so this is without cost to you. European customers are protected beyond factory warranties for a ‘reasonable’ lifetime of purchased goods. Formally you claim non-conformity of the UMC. But most likely no formalities will be necessary, the SC will just swap the part for you at no cost.

• Like x 1
  4. TesRadionics

TesRadionics Member

Thanks for both replies. The car is 2015 but I will try this approach in Madrid SC.
    Cheers.

5. davewill

davewill Member

I find it likely that the pilot wire has a break in it. It's one of the thinner wires in the cable and would give that exact symptom. That happened to one of my EVSEs and I repaired it by replacing the cable and handle. Unfortunately, I don't think the UMC is quite as repairable as my EVSE (it had screw terminals for the cable,) but I think that someone with the proper tools and parts could repair it. Even if you don't go that route, you can probably get something for it used, even broken.

6. cybergates

cybergates Member

does the Gen 1 UMC that came with my car have a warranty? would it be 4 years 50K like the car?

7. KArnold

KArnold Member

Most likely yes. My '17 UMC (US) was replaced at no charge after the 1st year.

• Like x 1
  8. cybergates

cybergates Member

good to know. Oddly enough I left it unplugged overnight and now it's working again and I charged the car up without issue. It was fairly cold outside 40F doubt that should have anything to do with it #dunno?