Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European road trip in our 5 year old 75D X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
Not much to say apart from the fact Norway is the most beautiful country I have ever driven in, and our X is the best family road trip car we have owned.

Only day 3 out of 10 in Norway, so plenty more to come, this is has to be MUST DO road trip for any Tesla owners.

52217425991_5fc5faf5a0_3k_d.jpg

Beautiful country, looks like you've made it a long way up?
Did you chunnel and trek through europe, or take a ferry to norway direct?

No direct ferry to Norway, so you have to drive through Europe. Acutally with AP and Tesla SCs it's pretty easy, we got from Hook of Holland to Denmark in a day, if we really pushed it from leaving the ferry in Holland to Copenhagen in a day is doable, but with a 6 year in the car a bit too much!!

The roads in Norway though are simply spectacular, if you enjoy driving I would say forget about the Swiss alps and just head to Norway.

Yesterday for the 2nd trip across the Atlantic Highway I offered to sit at the back to give others a chance to enjoy the view up front. To make up for sitting in the back got a 400km 6hr trip planned today around the Fjords, and most of that without the family in the back :).....might have to make a diversion to Trollstigen, not sure yet, it is light till 1am here!!

52218076401_aacba6a186_k_d.jpg

Honestly I've been amazed how simple this trip has been so far even in our 75D X with 50K miles of battery degredation, relative low range/charging speed compared to a 3/Y.

The only problem for me now is how/where do we go next year to 'better' this holiday, even the car parks here are just nuts, why build a multistorey when you can carve into a mountain??.....Plenty of time for future panning later, today is about taking in the sights of Fjords :).

52216535030_4079a4e046_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
Would love to know more details and which route you took!

Would also love to hear more about your experience in Norway. We're driving up to Sweden next month so really interested to know how you've found it.

Will put more details of the trip up later, but the short version of 'planning' is literally look around on Google Maps for anything interesting -> Send to car :)

I’ll be driving to Oslo next month in our 3. We’re going via France, Belgium, Netherlands (to pick my daughter up who’s studying there), then on though Germany (a few days stop near Hamburg), Denmark (incl a short stay in Copenhagen), Sweden (Gothenburg stopover), and then on to Oslo. It’ll be a lot of driving but I’m sort of looking forward to it.

Adding in the wonderful charging availability it looks like a fabulous location for an EV trip.

My last Scandinavian holiday was with my parents quite a few years ago ... cars were hoisted individually onto the ship with a crane ... the Swedes were still driving on the left ... and many of the roads in southern Norway didn't have any tarmac on them! Amazingly for the entire 3 weeks spent between Denmark, Sweden and Norway the sky was blue blue blue!
[1967]

Bavaria is just a as nice also warm and sunny too.

We were playing with snow and mist today!! This place is simply stunning, am struggling to think where to go for the road trip next year.

One thing is clear though, these cars are simply made for transcontinental road trips. In a 3/Y it'll be an absolute breeze, not that we've had any issues in our 75D X, with 5% of battery degredation.

52221133037_84cc907c6e_k_d.jpg

52221129472_b131c8085f_k_d.jpg

52222623945_8f0e3b80c8_k_d.jpg

Reactions: browellm and Mr H
No longer so easy as a non EU citizen.
But not impossible. I worked for the Norwegian Government for 6 years until recently and the lack of Norwegian language skills was never an issue for me nor colleagues in Oslo. There is significant immigration of workers into Norway from non EU countries.

Thanks for the trip report @gangzoom - keep the pics coming. I spent an amazing week in the Lofoten Islands in June but it was unfortunately in a Suzuki Vitara rental car (although it’s equivalent of TACC seemed better than Tesla’s).

Reactions: gangzoom
I studied in Norway (Trondheim) for 6 months back in 2007 and then came back in 2011 for a summer roadtrip with my old Mini Countryman (I did more or less the same road as OP)... What a trip and what a beautiful country! Still in love!