Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European road trip in our 5 year old 75D X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally had the chance to give the outside of the car a wash (before the hose pipe ban). Maybe note quite 'as new' but not far off, and certainly not looking half a decade old, not sure I can wait a whole 12 months before another road trip to Europe.....might have to find an excuse/some to go for October half term :).

52267422054_b001b1dc31_k_d.jpg

Reactions: EVMeister
Couldn't wait any longer, Summer 2023 European road trip accommodation booked.

Route is much shorter than Norway, will stop overnight in Basel, than 7 days in the Italien lakes. Return leg might take in Switzerland or Black Forest but plenty of time to plan.

52285387091_749961ea60_c_d.jpg

52285802445_afaa08836a_c_d.jpg

Am also not normally one for bumper stickers, but made an exception for Norway.

52272329033_52f59bdb2e_c_d.jpg

Do you have an overall routemap / dayplan for your trip? Currently pondering a 3 week trip to Norway next year, but we're trying to work out quite how far to go and how much we want to be constantly on the move. Looks like superchargers will keep us fairly well covered for the vast majority of the trip, but there are more down south than up north

Couldn't wait any longer, Summer 2023 European road trip accommodation booked.

Route is much shorter than Norway, will stop overnight in Basel, than 7 days in the Italien lakes. Return leg might take in Switzerland or Black Forest but plenty of time to plan.

52285387091_749961ea60_c_d.jpg

52285802445_afaa08836a_c_d.jpg

Am also not normally one for bumper stickers, but made an exception for Norway.

52272329033_52f59bdb2e_c_d.jpg
Try adding in as way points Perl Germany, Pirmasens Germany & Kehl Germany, this should cut down your Tolls to only Swiss Vignette (Road Tax) and the Italian Tolls down into Milan. I have not checked any charging options on this route, this was a favoured route in my Express Van delivery days down to Milan etc

A bit more mileage but big savings in Motorway Tolls and circa €100 Euros for Mont Blanc return @ 2022 rate

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 11.23.53.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 11.23.53.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
Reactions: gangzoom
@thewishy Don't worry about SCs, they are everywhere and no real issues.

The main thing is to decide which port/landing point you will hit in Europe, and how are you planning to get to Norway, there are three options:

1: Overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo - we did this, the ferry it nice, the sailing is smooth, and you land in the middle of Oslo with ZERO immigration checks to go through. It does cost more though especially with a nice cabin.

2: Fast day ferry from Hirtshals to South Norway. You have more choices for crossing times, its much quicker ferry, but you do arrive a good few hours drive to Oslo. Though is you are heading to Bergen/South Fjords will make no difference - we might do this next time.

3: Drive past Copenhagen and up Sweden to Oslo. ALOT more driving, will add at least 1 day, will be cheapest option though.

In all we left the UK Friday night, overnight ferry to Holland, was in Demark by Saturday night, than overnight ferry from Copenhagen - so was in Oslo Monday AM. After that you can go where you want, we headed up to Trollstigen with one overnight stop, than 7 nights around Andalsnes.

We accidently did the 'golden triangle' of the north, but next time we'll head to Bergen. 3 weeks is a good amount of time to spend, with roughly a few days getting there and a few days heading back.

Reactions: thewishy
We did UK to San Sebastian and back over a week, using some of the six months of free Supercharging we got when we bought our Model S. Car was fantastic on the autoroutes!

We took in WW2 in Normandy, wine in Bordeaux and culture in the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao! On way back stopped at Le-Mans

Car now nearly 4, washes and cleans up just like new, 72K miles and nothings dropped off yet:rolleyes:🤣🤣

Do you have an overall routemap / dayplan for your trip? Currently pondering a 3 week trip to Norway next year, but we're trying to work out quite how far to go and how much we want to be constantly on the move. Looks like superchargers will keep us fairly well covered for the vast majority of the trip, but there are more down south than up north
I’m almost home (currently in Northern France) from a three week trip to Norway and back. I have had zero worries or concerns over charging. No planning needed - just entered the next destination into the nav and it found charging stops for me. The only slight frustration I had was having to go into central Oslo to charge when there was a non-Tesla 300kW device a stone’s throw from our AirBnB - but try as I might I couldn’t figure out a payment method that worked! Why oh why can’t simple contactless just work for charging?

Teslas are ten a penny on Norway’s roads though!

Reactions: DeejUK

The main thing is to decide which port/landing point you will hit in Europe, and how are you planning to get to Norway, there are three options:

1: Overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo - we did this, the ferry it nice, the sailing is smooth, and you land in the middle of Oslo with ZERO immigration checks to go through. It does cost more though especially with a nice cabin.

2: Fast day ferry from Hirtshals to South Norway. You have more choices for crossing times, its much quicker ferry, but you do arrive a good few hours drive to Oslo. Though is you are heading to Bergen/South Fjords will make no difference - we might do this next time.

3: Drive past Copenhagen and up Sweden to Oslo. ALOT more driving, will add at least 1 day, will be cheapest option though.

In all we left the UK Friday night, overnight ferry to Holland, was in Demark by Saturday night, than overnight ferry from Copenhagen - so was in Oslo Monday AM. After that you can go where you want, we headed up to Trollstigen with one overnight stop, than 7 nights around Andalsnes.

We accidently did the 'golden triangle' of the north, but next time we'll head to Bergen. 3 weeks is a good amount of time to spend, with roughly a few days getting there and a few days heading back.

We took the Copenhagen/Sweden route to Oslo (mainly because we wanted stop-overs in Copenhagen and Gothenburg), but came back via Larvik-Hirtshalls. Larvik is only about 1.5 hours from Oslo, so not really a big drive.

Reactions: gangzoom
We did UK to San Sebastian

100% on the list for 2024/25.....so many places to go, so few school holidays :)

I’m almost home (currently in Northern France) from a three week trip to Norway and back.

I really like Brittany, but never really been south of that much......Might have to squeeze in another Easter road trip to France for 2023 before the big summer road trip like we did this year!

100% on the list for 2024/25.....so many places to go, so few school holidays :)

I really like Brittany, but never really been south of that much......Might have to squeeze in another Easter road trip to France for 2023 before the big summer road trip like we did this year!
France has so many lovely areas, it’s hard to choose the best! My wife is French so we’ve seen a lot of it over the years. Brittany is gorgeous, as is Dordogne, Normandy, Alsace, The Voges, The Alps, Provence, …. So much to see!

Thanks for the reply, I'll certainly look into the ferry options. Might just drive across the bridge though.
Has anybody looked into fast charge options? In France we found a good number of fast/rapid chargers in various convenient locations, but it seems like octopus juice and shell recharge won't cover Norway very well, and that contactless card payment isn't really a thing.

I know the SCs will work, just that we would have to just sit at them in most cases

Thanks for the reply, I'll certainly look into the ferry options. Might just drive across the bridge though.
Has anybody looked into fast charge options? In France we found a good number of fast/rapid chargers in various convenient locations, but it seems like octopus juice and shell recharge won't cover Norway very well, and that contactless card payment isn't really a thing.

I know the SCs will work, just that we would have to just sit at them in most cases
I only used Tesla SuCs. I tried to use a "Recharge" rapid in Oslo but gave up when all attempts to pay failed! It had three options:

- Subscription and app - needed a Norwegian mobile number.
- Pay via your mobile phone bill by texting a request to a short number - but the system refused with my operator (not surprising)
- Go to a web site and enter card details for a one-off charge. All three of my UK cards failed to authorise (despite all three working fine for purchases in shops)

I just don't understand why these operators don't allow simple contactless payment.