Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European road trip. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did search and read but there are so many acronyms and I can't seem to find a straight answer. It wants me to buy all sorts of adaptors but then I'd also have to buy extension leads since I don't know how far I'll be away from power in an AirBNB.

Going from tesla cable to Uk adaptor to extension cable to UK to French two pin. If this works I figure I can do it for the rest of Europe (with the other adaptors)

IMG_0285.jpg

Those small, plastic adapters are usually only rated to a couple of amps, 5 tops. That will likely melt very quickly if used to charge the car. You’re better off getting a Schuko tail for the UMC and using a properly rated Schuko extension lead, ideally with a thermal cutout in the plug.

ps. love your scam response talks/videos.

I'd have an extension with a connector capable of passing through a letterbox or very small window for security, including a waterproof socket, & an inline RCD to reduce the risk of overload & fire. A proper Shuko tail/lead would also be better than relying on an adapter. The links will take you to a modular system from Toughleads to build in all these parts, and allow for other connectors for more distant travel.

• Helpful
Reactions: KennethS
Cut the UK plug off and fit a proper Schuko plug, the travel adapter is asking for trouble. You'll also need a waterproof socket if the UMC tail is to be outside.

Cut the UK plug off and fit a proper Schuko plug, the travel adapter is asking for trouble. You'll also need a waterproof socket if the UMC tail is to be outside.

The tesla UMC can have the UK plug pulled out right? its just a plug in adapter as it is. Can’t you buy a schuko version of that? Would be small/compact and pop it in the frunk with the UMC and off you go

The schuko (EU) to UK adaptor is probably not up to it. Most travel adaptors are only rated to 6A or so. How is it marked?

Far better to go with a waterproof connector and high current plug, such as this from Toughleads. They also do high quality, high current, extension leads.
Thanks. I was hoping to find a way to do it without having to buy extension leads and adaptors for France, Denmark, Italy & Switzerland.
I wonder if I can buy a high current adaptor.

Those small, plastic adapters are usually only rated to a couple of amps, 5 tops. That will likely melt very quickly if used to charge the car. You’re better off getting a Schuko tail for the UMC and using a properly rated Schuko extension lead, ideally with a thermal cutout in the plug.

ps. love your scam response talks/videos.
Thanks! :)

Yeah. I was, ideally, trying to not have to buy separate extension leads and adaptors for Italy, France & Switzerland though.

Personally, if you do European road trips often I'd be tempted to buy the adaptor(s). If not then probably just use superchargers or equivalent? The last thing you want is the hassle of setting fire to someone else's house!

Having had a smartplug (which was supposed to be rated at 13amps) overheat and 'burn out' (luckily not resulting in a fire) when charging an PHEV, I'd recommend erring on the side of caution.

Reactions: Toblerone

The advantage of a Tough leads solution as posted above is the ability to unscrew the case and swap line and neutral in the plug if the outlet is wired incorrectly and the UMC faults. You can also use your normal UK extension lead (1.5/2mm2)

Personally, if you do European road trips often I'd be tempted to buy the adaptor(s). If not then probably just use superchargers or equivalent? The last thing you want is the hassle of setting fire to someone else's house!

Having had a smartplug (which was supposed to be rated at 13amps) overheat and 'burn out' (luckily not resulting in a fire) when charging an PHEV, I'd recommend erring on the side of caution.
Good shout. But if I do need an extension cable; I have a heavy duty UK one so perhaps I can just order some of these>

It won't work for some countries - I've tried this in Norway four years ago, and it didn't work there. I can't for the life of me remember why, but it was something to do with grounding I think, and the safety checks that the cable does when connecting fail. So it's not to do with the adapter, but that the smart bits of the Tesla cable itself are incompatible with the supply.

Cut the UK plug off and fit a proper Schuko plug,
Beware. Many granny chargers have a temperature sensor in the 13A mains plug to check for overheating. If you cut of the plug you ruin the whole charger!

Of course, the tesla UMC has interchangeable mains connectors. I've no idea whether these have temperature sensors, but there's no need to cut of the plug.

Thanks! :)

Yeah. I was, ideally, trying to not have to buy separate extension leads and adaptors for Italy, France & Switzerland though.
All these places have lots of CCS Superchargers and public AC charging using a standard type 2 lead and so you don't necessarily need all the plugs for your granny charger especially if you are just in transit.
If however you really need them then the toughleads solutions are the best. I used their extension cable and Schucko plug leads and can confirm their suitability.

If you are prepared to join Tesla Owners UK you might be able to rent their sets of power adaptors for a nominal charge.

But really as per @Mr Miserable you are very likely to find SuperChargers and other Type 2 charging options very easily, use PlugShare to find them. You only need a granny charger if you are going to want to charge very slowly at some remote location. If you are covering lots of miles to multiple countries you aren't going to have time for granny charging.

Also a James Veitch video about getting irritated at using foreign chargers would be awesome.

Reactions: Toblerone
If you are prepared to join Tesla Owners UK you might be able to rent their sets of power adaptors for a nominal charge.

But really as per @Mr Miserable you are very likely to find SuperChargers and other Type 2 charging options very easily, use PlugShare to find them. You only need a granny charger if you are going to want to charge very slowly at some remote location. If you are covering lots of miles to multiple countries you aren't going to have time for granny charging.

Also a James Veitch video about getting irritated at using foreign chargers would be awesome.

if a location like a hotel has destination chargers you’d hope they’d be type 2 right? I’m plannign a trip in a couple of weeks through France to switzerland. Hotel in Switzerland has booked my car in for one of their charger parking bays but the rest I’m expecting to be superchargers and maybe a holiday inn along the way overnight to save a bit of time. I’m not currently planning any kinds of adapters for AC sockets